• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Rock bottom?

Is the club past rock bottom?

• Total voters
Now that the season has finished, is it possible to claim that we (Southend United & the long suffering fans) have gone past rock bottom?

Are we past our nadir and on the way up? Can we rationally & unemotionally say that?

Will the historians amongst us say that "on this day" during the 2023/2024, this was the lowest point in our 100+ years of history?

The omens are good for 2024/25 season aren't they?

But then again, haven't there been a number of other seasons where we have thought that things "can only get better" only to find this was not the case?

Or perhaps with the sale of the club yet to be concluded, we are yet to find out if we have truly hit the depths of depair & found our way through?

[Please don't see this an opportunity for a rant & to be abusive towards the current owner - I know it is tempting but surely that has been done to death elsewhere.]

Last edited:
It feels like we're on the cliff edge, we have a safety line on, but if that safety line gives - we're doomed.

So there's still potential for downward movement - mind situation is better than pre Xmas when we didn't have a safety line

I think we have gone past rock bottome but when was rock bottom...?

I would say from a football point of view - it was that 0-4 defeat to Chesterfield followed by Sir Stan calling up BBC Essex. Things improved on the pitch (with Kev + Co coming in very quickly.

Off the pitch it probably a day or two before the consortium cleared the last HMRC's winding up order (or it would have been lights out all out)..

Wouldn't say its rock bottom because on the pitch there appears to be squad and management team there to build on with the hope of success. Off the pitch looks complete mess. I'm lost with all this council crap and the ins and outs what needs to get done for takeover to completed. We must be first football club reliant on council to get takeover done. Never known this situation before in football. If the consortium continue to pay the club's outgoings then I guess there isn't much of issue, if they potentially stop and pull out then I think we pretty much ****ed. No respect for the rat, not much respect for council either. Get this deal done soon!

One of the reasons for asking is because of a number of posts on other threads that are along the lines of "we are going to smash this league" once the club has signed a couple of new players.

I would love that this was the case but I just don't see that & I can't see that suddenly all our problems are going to be behind us.

Until the pest exterminators have come in and rid us off the rat infestation for ever we cannot breathe easy. Until the rats are gone there will always be a stench in the air. JR AND THE CONSORTIUM HAVE GIVEN US HOPE THATS ABOUT ALL I CAN SAY AT THIS TIME .

In those moments of gloom that can descend on all of us from time to time, I do wonder if a pathway around a "new " Southend United starting from scratch might just be a quicker, simpler way forward.

It isn't of course but it would cut through all the complexity of the current situation & provide a fresh beginning.

In those moments of gloom that can descend on all of us from time to time, I do wonder if a pathway around a "new " Southend United starting from scratch might just be a quicker, simpler way forward.

It isn't of course but it would cut through all the complexity of the current situation & provide a fresh beginning.
I get that, but its the history both good and bad that makes us what we are.

Back