• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Spread Eagle (Under New Management)

We used to rock that pub about 10 years ago with the garden. People do want outside space which the Boar unfortunately does not have but of course The Railway seems to be the leading pub now which has both.
Around 2008 wasn't it when @Smiffy was downing mini perfumes after a raffle win. @TrueBlue pouring a 6 pack over himself with his prize win too.

If the consortium want some space in the Vic Ave area which can make money on match days and non-match days, I wonder whether they'd have a conversation with the brewery? Even if only as a stop-gap until the East Stand is redeveloped. And yes, I know that the facilities at the pub aren't optimal.

Not sure I'd be in favour, tbh. Head says no while heart says yes as I'd be sad just to see the place stand empty. I suppose it also depends on whether any fan zone would be ready for the start of next season.

Either way, sad to see the Spread in it's current predicament.

Geordie Chris on the ones and twos (And the pointless football scores), the transsexual karaoke on a Sunday (Paul/Paula), the crazy Irish landlord (Brian), Golden Tee, the crap jukebox, the Trust meetings upstairs, so many memories, but hey ho.

And they were the good things about it!

Plus

@BEERMONSTER drinking mild from a chamber pot decoration.

Patsy streaking naked down Victoria Avenue after England won the rugby World Cup.

The usual locals including Carl who drank wine by the pint glass rather than normal measures.

The other landlard, Phil, turning up to my wedding in Cyprus unannounced!

That last one is a true sign that you are spending too much time in a pub........

fry up at the Salisbury Cafe - in the Spread at 11am - go to the match - back in the Spread for Geordie Chris disco.

Great days

I remember @Napster me and you going there one Bank Holiday Monday - scorching outside and we were inside playing pool in the dark & gloom!

I first started going in there on match days in 73. I can remember back then, the landlord was a guy with 'mutton chop sideburns' & a mop of dark curly hair!. Several times i saw him go down to the cellar to change barrels, & the hatch was near the corner facing the door leading out the back.
back then the range of beers was very limited, but they did do a decent pint of I.P.A. bitter.

My dear old Nan and her friend (Maud - strange how I still remember it) used to be the barmaids there and I used to meet after her lunchtime shift back in 1968/69. I can still recall going in there
Such a shame as it has been there for years

It used to be the place I'd go to before games if my brother (TUIB) wasn't about (as he preferred the Cricketers). I enjoyed the vibe late 2000s (as Cricko, OBL and TB) noted earlier what with the beer 'yarden' out the back. I can't abide pubs with the plastic glasses though so once they brought those in on match days, I was out.

And that horrific loud music too. Apologies but I am an old git.

fry up at the Salisbury Cafe - in the Spread at 11am - go to the match - back in the Spread for Geordie Chris disco.

Great days

I remember @Napster me and you going there one Bank Holiday Monday - scorching outside and we were inside playing pool in the dark & gloom!
The big power lifter guy who use to own the Sailsbury cafe sadly is now in a wheelchair

It used to be the place I'd go to before games if my brother (TUIB) wasn't about (as he preferred the Cricketers). I enjoyed the vibe late 2000s (as Cricko, OBL and TB) noted earlier what with the beer 'yarden' out the back. I can't abide pubs with the plastic glasses though so once they brought those in on match days, I was out.

And that horrific loud music too. Apologies but I am an old git.
Think the last time I was in the Spread I met up with cousin Richard by chance (just before he retired).That would have been some years ago now. (Typically he denied the rumours then current on SZ that he was resigning).:Winking:

Back