• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Dan Mooney Signs

Cricko

Zone Owner⭐⭐
Staff member

Southend United Football Club are delighted to confirm that Dan Mooney has become our first signing of the summer after the attacker agreed a two-year deal with an option in the Club's favour.

Mooney joins following the expiry of his contract at Altrincham where he has spent the past two seasons.

A former Wales U21 international, Mooney began his career at Fleetwood Town, joining the League One side at the age of 17. Mooney made his debut for Fleetwood in a 2–0 defeat against Rochdale in the EFL Trophy in 2018.

The 22-year-old made four appearances for Fleetwood, also spending time out on loan at Chorley and Chester, before heading to Altrincham in January 2020.

Mooney was in fine form last season, winning Altrincham’s Players' Player of the Season and the National League Young Player of the Year.

The winger also topped the Robins' goalscoring charts last season with 13 goals, while also helping out with eight assists in all competitions.

Dan shaking hands with Kev.jpg

"Dan has obvious qualities," said Blues Head Coach Kevin Maher.

"A left footed player gives us balance and he's a player that will always create and score chances. I think he’s a great signing for now and for the future for us.

"It's an area we wanted to work on with goals and assists. To be a part of a team that will improve is big, he’s at a great age and what we have in the building already is important for him as he’ll only improve himself, but he’ll improve the team and others around him."

Mooney will officially become a Blues player from 1st July.

Well that certainly sends a message out that we mean business this season. :LoyalSupporter:

Really a top signing that. I'm sure lots of people have been involved in making it happen but a huge hats off to Stan, I was wary of whether it would all implode early on but the culture change he has brought about here, and supposedly without taking any payment, is remarkable. We're still early days in our renewal but it feels light years from where we were a year ago.

Brilliant signing to start the window, and a real statement of intent from us. He had EFL interest, but it seems we got in there super early and won him over. Been following these guys this season and they've been raving about him too. He will hopefully help increase our quality and creativity in the final third, which we all know was seriously lacking at times.
Screenshot_20220526-120801_Twitter.jpg

Looks like a real "Statement of intent" signing, And wow....I'm also in shock we've got a signing through the door, and the end of season playoffs haven't even finished yet.

This was the signing I eluded to that would be completed last week. He has been signed for a couple of days fully, so I’m glad it’s out in the open now.

As @Bexley Blue says, he had solid interest from EFL clubs, and spoke to at least one that I know about. So he turned them down to come to us, and that says a lot about the pull of the Club. We are becoming an attractive proposition for players again.

I’ll confess to not seeing him play in either of our fixtures, but I’ve heard a lot, and his numbers are hugely impressive for a mid table side.

Gives us flexibility as can operate as a wide player in a front three, or as an out and out winger in a midfield four. Left footed, but as shown by his goal against us at their place, can be deployed on either side. Still believe we are interested in another forward too, so don’t believe our interest is done in that area of the pitch either.

He was a free agent so I doubt it.
I think owing to age there may be compensation rather than a 'fee' as such.

I should also say, really good signing this. Very excited to see what he can do for us. Welcome Dan!

Back