• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Help?

SwanseaBen

Centre Half
Afternoon shrimpers, I’m on here this afternoon to ask for your help. Firstly, my name is Ben and i’m from Swansea (hence the username). The reason i’m here is because I’ve recently started researching my family tree. I’ve got to my great grandfather Charles/Charlie Henry Jones. He died before I was born so I never met him. My grandfather told me stories of his father being a footballer, which I’ve managed to obtain proof of, he played for QPR in the 32/33 and 33/34 seasons. According to a QPR fan who helped me, he joined them from Southend United, which I never heard my grandfather mention before, so I’d like to find out a bit more. Is there someone, perhaps a club historian who could help find any stats/pictures to confirm this claim and help me build the story of my great grandfather?

Afternoon shrimpers, I’m on here this afternoon to ask for your help. Firstly, my name is Ben and i’m from Swansea (hence the username). The reason i’m here is because I’ve recently started researching my family tree. I’ve got to my great grandfather Charles/Charlie Henry Jones. He died before I was born so I never met him. My grandfather told me stories of his father being a footballer, which I’ve managed to obtain proof of, he played for QPR in the 32/33 and 33/34 seasons. According to a QPR fan who helped me, he joined them from Southend United, which I never heard my grandfather mention before, so I’d like to find out a bit more. Is there someone, perhaps a club historian who could help find any stats/pictures to confirm this claim and help me build the story of my great grandfather?

Blimey, even back then people tried to hide it.

Haha! I would guess it’s because he didn’t remember, more than shame. I’d be more shamed if he played for Cardiff than Southend ?

I don’t bother with Twitter, who are the 2 gentlemen you’ve mentioned? How would be best to contact them?

Afternoon shrimpers, I’m on here this afternoon to ask for your help. Firstly, my name is Ben and i’m from Swansea (hence the username). The reason i’m here is because I’ve recently started researching my family tree. I’ve got to my great grandfather Charles/Charlie Henry Jones. He died before I was born so I never met him. My grandfather told me stories of his father being a footballer, which I’ve managed to obtain proof of, he played for QPR in the 32/33 and 33/34 seasons. According to a QPR fan who helped me, he joined them from Southend United, which I never heard my grandfather mention before, so I’d like to find looout a bit more. Is there someone, perhaps a club historian who could help find any stats/pictures to confirm this claim and help me build the story of my great grandfather?
I have looked at the official history of Southend United, and yes we had a Charlie Jones playing for us in the two seasons leading up to the break for the Second World War, namely 1937/38 and 1938/39.
In the first of these two seasons he played 12 League and 1 FA Cup games, scoring 2 goals; one in a 2-2 draw away at Mansfield Town, and the other a penalty in a 2-0 away win at Notts County.
The following season he played 10 league games and 1 more in the FA Cup, without scoring.

It looks like he was a centre-half, as he always wore the No. 5 shirt when he played.

I hope this is useful.

Unfortunately, I believe that’s a different Charlie Jones, he was the one I was getting when I first started researching, although their birth years match, nothing else seems to fit what I’ve been told, but thank you for your efforts. He seems to be very hard to find, it took me a few days to even get a picture of him at QPR!

Oh, and a bit more information for you (assuming this is the correct Charlie Jones.) He was born on November 20th 1911 at a place called Oakdale???
We signed him from Tottenham in May 1937.
He retired from playing during the war.

The only Jones that I can see that made the first team in 1931-32 was Emlyn (Mickey) Jones who had signed in 1929 and played on past period you are talking about.

He could have been a reserve player 47 players appeared for the junior Blues that season.

When i get a chance I'll have a look through and see if i can find anything.

Yeah you may be right. I found a team photo from the 31/32 season which contains an E, Jones (I believe it’s Mickey) but he looks strikingly similar to my grandfather in his younger days which is still casting doubt in my mind. Yeah, anything you can find would be great.

I can't add any more than Pete above I'm afraid. Mickey Jones (joined in 29/30) came from Everton and went to Shirley Town which might not fit

Emlyn "Mickey" Jones joined in July 1929 from Everton and played his last game in November 1935 away at Exeter City. He played 220 league games for Southend, scoring 30 goals, plus a further 13 FA Cup games.
He played inside right (number 8), and was born in Merthyr Tydfil on November 29th 1907.
I can't however, see any connection to a Charlie......

No, you’re right, and my grandfather never mentioned about his dad playing for Southend. I’ve been sent more info about his time at QPR but I don’t know where else I’d be able to find out who he signed from or who he signed for after leaving. Thank you all for you’re help and advice anyway, very much appreciated.

I've had a look through the match reports for the reserves for 1931-32 and no mention of a Charles/Charlie Jones. The was a mention of a Bryn Jones as follows':

"Bryn Jones a brother of Emlyn and Ivor Jones the Swansea International made his first appearance at the Kursaal "
Report of Southend Reserves 1-0 Swansea Reserves in the Southend Standard dated 24th September 1931

I cannot see that Bryn Jones played again for the Reserves.

So in conclusion I can find no connection with Southend United and Charlie Jones are the QPR contacts sure that he came from Southend United? Could he have been with a local team in Southend?

I've had a look through the match reports for the reserves for 1931-32 and no mention of a Charles/Charlie Jones. The was a mention of a Bryn Jones as follows':

"Bryn Jones a brother of Emlyn and Ivor Jones the Swansea International made his first appearance at the Kursaal "
Report of Southend Reserves 1-0 Swansea Reserves in the Southend Standard dated 24th September 1931

I cannot see that Bryn Jones played again for the Reserves.

So in conclusion I can find no connection with Southend United and Charlie Jones are the QPR contacts sure that he came from Southend United? Could he have been with a local team in Southend?
This is from the English National Football Archive website (enfa.co.uk). It looks like he joined QPR from Northend. I did a bit of internet digging and came across a team in the Swansea Senior League called North End FC. It looks likely that this was the team in question.

1627928485697.png

Its like an episode of "Who do you think you are?" on BBC but this time its interesting as it could have a Southend connection.

I've checked this thread today more times than the Tranfer Rumours thread.

Thank you Statto! Yeah, North End were the best team in the Swansea/South Wales area for many years, funnily enough, my grandad played for them in what must have been the 5’s and 60’s. Great find, thank you very much!

Back