• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Is anyone still finding it hard to give this team credit where it is due?

Bar na bas

Schoolboy⭐
One thing here. This team is amazing.

We are 15 matches unbeaten, the longest unbeaten run in the division this season. Some say there are too many draws but 8 wins and 7 draws in those 15 games is more than 2 points per game and would see us with 95 points over a season. Good enough for top place.

We have conceded the fewest goals in the league (43) compared to the next best team, Bromley who have conceded 47.

We have the highest number of clean sheets in the league.

Only 3 teams have won more games this season than us and they are the top three in the division.

Only 2 teams have a better goal difference than us and they are the top 2.

Only 2 teams have lost less matches than us this season (Chesterfield and Bromley).

Without the 10 point deduction, we would be 4th and securely in the playoffs.

All that despite an embargo that stretched back through many months of last season and then on into this season till after Christmas. No pre-season, matches when we had only one substitute and many when we could not fill our bench. Times when we were short of defenders. Other matches when we had to field Vilhete and Kabongolo up front. The embargo cost us points too. And genuine fears that we would go out of business. So many restrictions. And yet….

Despite the rigours of this season, we have won more games, lost fewer games, scored more goals, conceded less goals and therefore have a better goal difference than last season.

That is already progress and is testament to the players, the three amigos, the back room team, Tom Lawrence and also Stan Collymore for his initial energy and healthy disruption of the status quo back in 2021/22 and involvement in bringing in Tom Lawrence and the management team. That all laid the foundations for Justin Rees noticing us and our plight…

On Saturday, whatever happens in Halifax and Aldershot’s matches this week, the team and management and the back room staff who showed such loyalty deserve our non-stop support and applause for their efforts and commitment and the entertainment they have provided.

We may still go into Saturday with a sniff of the playoffs. If we do, we will have turned round a 16 point deficit between us in 20th and 7th place (Aldershot at the time), as the table showed after the Oxford City match. That game ended a sequence of three defeats.

We can still do this, and let’s hope that the 15 match unbeaten run turns into a glorious 19 match unbeaten run to win the play off final. If it does, that will mean we have won our last 7 matches, and 8 out of the last 9. I will settle for that run of form! 😀

Last edited:
I could not have said it any better.
Yes you could. I’m convinced he missed a comma out. 😀

Seriously a great post and one which I wish I could cut and paste into any negative posts about this seasons performances. Before this run we were sweating on relegation.

As seasons go, and I’ve seen over 50 of them, this ranks among the top 3 behind the two third tier promotions. I’d have our first promotion top just for the sheer historical moment in club history despite winning the title when we did it the second time.

Good post, just one correction, there was a disrupted preseason rather than none.

100 % spot on , your summary should be put clearly to Halifax, Aldershot and any other teams pretending they deserve a play off place because they really dont! The rightful position is this Southend teams ! Along with the management and fans who've been punnished for RM's financial and moral behaviour the punishment should be on him and other parasitic owners like him. The governing bodies also need to look at their own behaviours too.

Very good post.

I still remain miffed about a couple of performances. Oxford away which could be so costly. I said it at the time and still think it might be. It was such an uncharacteristicly poor game.

That said, the team have been fantastic.

Providing we can keep vital players, I honestly think we can win it next season.

This is a team that we can finally feel genuine appreciation for. So many mercenaries over the years, taking big wages for poor performances. These players are so far removed from that.

These players deserve massive credit for battling hard to keep us afloat at a time when we didn't have a full team, and it looked like we would go under. All while the players werent getting paid.

Special praise should also be given to our fans. For never relenting in our support. Even in our darkest hours, we gave everything.

This season has been the true spirit of Southend "UNITED"

Back