• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

just got back

Agree that there was no passion yesterday. I don't think any of the players that started looked interested. Our best three players were the three subs, Smith, Goater and Lawson. I think they will all start next week (goater for gray, Smith for Benno and Lawson for Gower/JCR).

Hunt was complete sh!t and needs dropping NOW. I don't know why but in my eyes he hasn't played well for weeks, maybe he is in the comfort zone because he has had a long run in the side. Eastwood looked dangerous when he got the ball into feet, but i think he only got the ball into feet 4 or 5 times in the whole match.

Maher needs to be dropped, even if it is only for one game, just to show he is not garunteed a place in the team (this is coming from a Maher fan).

I think the timing of the cup game is good, gives a little break from the run of defeats in the league. The xmas period is going to make or break our season, if we win 4 or 5 games between now and the new year the we can sustain the promotion challenge, if we carry on going the way we are then we are looking at a mid table finish. We have the ability in the side, and i remain confident that we can still be in the play offs in May.

COME ON YOU BLUES!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimpersarmy @ Nov. 27 2005,18:45)]Hunt was complete sh!t and needs dropping NOW. I don't know why but in my eyes he hasn't played well for weeks, maybe he is in the comfort zone because he has had a long run in the side. Eastwood looked dangerous when he got the ball into feet, but i think he only got the ball into feet 4 or 5 times in the whole match.

Maher needs to be dropped, even if it is only for one game, just to show he is not garunteed a place in the team (this is coming from a Maher fan).
Have you been watching the same player that I have over the past few weeks? Hunt has been defensively sound (and arguably our best defensive player at Forest etc), though I will concede that he does look like a rabbit in the headlines whilst going forward. I'm more worried about Barratt and Edwards looking poor.

Maher was shocking yesterday, though was in good company with the rest of our midfield. Gower looked as though he just didn't give a sh!t, JCR was the usual show pony with no end product and Benno missed an early chance which seemed to knock his confidence. Definitely need to shake the midfield up and change things around IMO.

Jay Smith looks like the only player capable of passing a ball forwards to feet, the only player that has any creative ability from the centre of the park. Wouldn't it be nice to see the little fella actually start a game on saturday eh?

Up the Blues!!

hey, i managed to listen to the game in hospital yesterday. As people have stated it did sound a lot like the lads only got going in the last twenty minutes when jay came on. I've always thought jay was an exceptionally talented player and no offense to maher but in my opinion when guttridge is back i'd love to see jay and himself in the centre midfield positions. I've no doubt in saying that we'd be a much more attacking team and luke and jay could certainly chip in with goals from midfield, something maher hasn't done since hmmm was it new years day against rushden? that's poor.
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shooter mcgavin @ Nov. 27 2005,21:07)]Have you been watching the same player that I have over the past few weeks? Hunt has been defensively sound (and arguably our best defensive player at Forest etc), though I will concede that he does look like a rabbit in the headlines whilst going forward. I'm more worried about Barratt and Edwards looking poor.
I thought he was the other way round yesterday, he got forward really well in the last 20 minutes but i thought he looked poor defensively for the 3rd or 4th game in a row. Just a difference in opinions i suppose.

I don't believe that anything about Saturday was a lack of passion - it was clear from my vantage point that it was a lack of confidence causing problems.

When a footballer is brimming with confidence he plays with no fear, demands the ball and has belief in himself to be able to do something positive when he gets it. When a player is lacking confidence, he doesn't want the ball because he fears he will make a mistake - when he does get it, he often is so concerned about making an error he releases it too early, often long and over the top.

When a few players in a team display such traits, it leads to the ball being given away cheaply, a lack of movement in midfield and uncertainty in defence. We play through Kevin Maher, who relies on people making runs and wanting the ball off him. If that isn't happening, Maher looks extremely poor, as he did on Saturday. If Maher himself is suffering from lack of confidence, our main midfield outlet is anonymous and we play more aimless balls forward from the back.

We started both halves as the better side at Vale, yet a quick goal caused heads to drop and allowed Vale to seize the initiative.

It's nothing to do with a lack of passion, Saturday's game was a classic example of a team completely lacking in confidence, and in my opinion, a few changes for MK will freshen things up and bring some hungry players into the line-up.

As with last season the confidence of our squad is fragile, to say the least.

Last season we went into the LDV Final on the back of a very long unbeaten run. Defeat there, was followed by defeat against the O's at Roots Hall, and although there was awin against Macc, further poor performances and defeats and draws followed. Somehow, though, we manged to get things back together for the play-offs and went up.

Now, this season 8 straight wins was ended at Donnie, then we lsoe the LDV match at Rubbish and Dustbins, and all we have had since is wins against the (even more confidence-shorn) Bristol City and Barnet in the Cup. Apart from that a lucky home draw against Barnsley and three defeats.
Somehow, we need to rediscover the confidence, as we did in time for the play-offs last season. Then we will be alright. The Cup this Saturday is the ideal opportunity to regain the confidence, with no points at stake.

we actually started our 8 match unbeaten run following a Wiggy "Tilson is a rubbish manager" post. I expect another good run will follow shortly
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimpersarmy @ Nov. 27 2005,21:56)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (shooter mcgavin @ Nov. 27 2005,21:07)]Have you been watching the same player that I have over the past few weeks? Hunt has been defensively sound (and arguably our best defensive player at Forest etc), though I will concede that he does look like a rabbit in the headlines whilst going forward. I'm more worried about Barratt and Edwards looking poor.
I thought he was the other way round yesterday, he got forward really well in the last 20 minutes but i thought he looked poor defensively for the 3rd or 4th game in a row. Just a difference in opinions i suppose.
Not denying that he fails to get forward at all, just Lewis looks less comfortable when in the opposing half of the pitch. Differing opinions are a healthy thing - all adds to the debate!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I don't believe that anything about Saturday was a lack of passion - it was clear from my vantage point that it was a lack of confidence causing problems.
This is something I've said many times about us (Col U) over the past couple of years. A lack of confidence can very easily look like a lack of effort.

Back