• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

No rude hand gestures allowed

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ Mar. 15 2005,13:21)]I always feel that hand gestures and obscene language is used by people who have a limited vocabulary and do not have a sharp enough mind to use a witty retort.
that'll be the stella then...
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ Mar. 15 2005,13:21)]I always feel that hand gestures and obscene language is used by people who have a limited vocabulary and do not have a sharp enough mind to use a witty retort.

Sarcasm is so much more rewarding.
cool.gif

tounge.gif

Anyway I am not sure what is wrong with using the alledged hand gesture, as it is not as if the target could deny it.

After all are not all sexually active men and most women guilty of partaking in this activity, either on one's own or with a partner??  
oops.gif

biggrin.gif
BC, in this instance hand gestures can be seen by the people concerned, whereas verbal comments would not be heard in the cauldron that is Roots Hall.

[b said:

cool.gif

tounge.gif

Anyway I am not sure what is wrong with using the alledged hand gesture, as it is not as if the target could deny it.

After all are not all sexually active men and most women guilty of partaking in this activity, either on one's own or with a partner??
oops.gif
biggrin.gif
I think swearing is sometimes an essential part of the vocabulary although I can avoid it completely as a situation may require.

I also believe my vocabulary's fairly sound. I actually used pontificating in an MSN conversation earlier!!

Hand gestures are just an augmentation of the context of a sentence. Sometimes they are a substitute for poor vocabulary but often they are an important part of non-verbal communication.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mcnasty @ Mar. 15 2005,12:58)]
[b said:

cool.gif

tounge.gif

oops.gif

biggrin.gif
BC, in this instance hand gestures can be seen by the people concerned, whereas verbal comments would not be heard in the cauldron that is Roots Hall.
In the future instead of hand gestures perhaps a strongly worded letter to the target expressing your dissapointment.

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Mar. 15 2005,14:06)]I think swearing is sometimes an essential part of the vocabulary although I can avoid it completely as a situation may require.
swearing isn't too much of an issue (the vicar may object however) if used to add short sharp emphasis to a phrase or statement.
It shows a limited vocabulary, however, when the same word, is uttered ever other word in every sentence, or appears to be the only noun known.....

That said, the greater the vocabulary, the more obscure some of the words used will seem. When these "posher" or "fancy" words are used swearing within the sentence doesn't quite seem to fit

The F""king c""ts appeared from bl**din everywhere

or there was a proliferation of the F**kers

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ Mar. 15 2005,14:20)]When these "posher" or "fancy" words are used swearing within the sentence doesn't quite seem to fit

The F""king c""ts appeared from bl**din everywhere

or there was a proliferation of the F**kers
Don't know. The funniest scene from me, myself and Irene has to be the one with 'his' kids at the beginning.

Anyway, off the point a bit. I've never had a steward say anything to me about my conduct at RH and I'd be astounded if someone said something just for making a gesture.

Anyone know what the American 'OK' gesture means in Greece?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (axeman @ Mar. 15 2005,14:10)]In the future instead of hand gestures perhaps a strongly worded letter to the target expressing your dissapointment.
Absolutely marvellous!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Technician @ Mar. 14 2005,23:42)]It seems like quite a few people watch football for the release of their pent up emotions and this is not new to football by any means, so my question is...

What do these people do, if we have a game like say Southend 4-2 Swansea, where we were always on top and even the ref had a good game? You would still have these pent up emotions inside, which surely can't be relieved by the exstacy of a win?

My own opinion is that there are better ways to relieve these emotions than by abusing people with hand gestures and I fail to see what it achieves if like many say... that it is not directed in any particular area. By all means, the occasional swear word directed at an official with a passion, is part of the game and some (who haven't already had a sense of humour bypass) actually smile when being called a w-anchor.

Go easy on the Stewards and Security though... whilst some are not the sharpest tools in the box, if they do as they are told, they are doing their jobs. Rules are made for everyone's safety (not an issue here I know) and whilst some of you may not like these rules, it is inevitable that there will be some that are enforced more than others...

However, the real problem is interpretation and in some cases power of enforcement! Dave Jobson may have written the rule book for all I know because some of the things match-day staff are asked (expected) to do are indeed questionable... It is how match-day staff interpret what is expected of them that might be more of an issue here though, which leads us back to the topic in question of fans being unhappy about the constant harrassment by the men (ladies) in yellow, orange or white coats.

Unfortunately, for this I have no real answer and I have worked at the club (for my sins) since 1992. For us, identifying what are the important rules is of paramount importance... whereas something that is low risk, can be allowed to slide as long as we don't get a call to act.

In short, I would say react but don't over-react, if something happens on the pitch that you don't like.  
wow.gif
Firstly, a game like Swansea at home provided many opportunity for releasing pent up frustration. What better release of anxiety is there, than to celebrate a goal?

Secondly I don't believe an official smiling at being called something offensive is demonstrating a sense of humour, unless its a seven year old's sense of humour when someone says "a naughty word".

Thirdly, at the risk of sounding like Ken Livingstone I don't buy the "I was only doing as I was told" line. That line of defence puts you alongside concentration camp guards and journalists......

>>Thirdly, at the risk of sounding like Ken Livingstone I don't buy the "I was only doing as I was told" line. That line of defence puts you alongside concentration camp guards and journalists...... <<

Unfortunately not doing as you were told often puts you alongside other inemployed people. (

And before you mention whistleblowing, they tend to get harsh treatment in the workplace as well.....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ Mar. 15 2005,14:42)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Mar. 15 2005,14:34)]Anyone know what the American 'OK' gesture means in Greece?
No but I am sure the people at HSBC do!!
They probably do but I wouldn't think they'd have got away with putting it on their adverts!!!

Back