• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Oxford Utd vs Southend Utd 29th February 2020 3:00pm

What's your starting 11 for Saturday and what do you think the result will be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RHB

I'm a Mod too⭐⭐
Staff member
Large

Every game is a battle for our team now. The seniors have to perform to 100% of their abilities and the youngsters have to learn from their mistakes and bring those lessons into this game. Not much to ask really is it?.......................................

So a week on from the Burton game we take on Oxford at the Kassam. If you were our manager what would your team selection be? What tactics would you use and how confident are you when predicting our result?

Here's the thread for you to answer all those questions, and more probably, like will the embargo be lifted in time to clear the way for our new players?

I'm going to assume that we have registered Vassell and Osadebe, I'm being optimistic but have a feeling it'll happen this week. Presumably Ted Smith would be able to play too in that scenario so probably should be added to the list. If so, and presuming they're fit enough I'd start all three.

Smith
Elvis Vassell Dieng Clifford
Osadebe Deme Milligan Macca
Hutch
Kelman

Subs: Seadon, Kyprianou, Mitchell-Nelson, Mantom, Goodship, Barratt, Rush

Probably not much chance Hutch will play though, my second choice in the attacking midfield position would be Barratt. Weneed to get someone playing further upfield to give Kelman some support.

Yeah I’ve switched Gunnarsson for Ted Smith as the one week emergency loan will have ended and Smith has agreed terms I think? He seems the far likelier of the two to be playing.

I'm going to assume that we have registered Vassell and Osadebe, I'm being optimistic but have a feeling it'll happen this week. Presumably Ted Smith would be able to play too in that scenario so probably should be added to the list. If so, and presuming they're fit enough I'd start all three.

Smith
Elvis Vassell Dieng Clifford
Osadebe Deme Milligan Macca
Hutch
Kelman

Subs: Seadon, Kyprianou, Mitchell-Nelson, Mantom, Goodship, Barratt, Rush

Probably not much chance Hutch will play though, my second choice in the attacking midfield position would be Barratt. Weneed to get someone playing further upfield to give Kelman some support.
Harsh on Shaughnessy to not even make the bench?

I’ve chosen my side and just realised I’d left Dimi out! Shock horror, does this mean that (if we do sign these lads this week) we might have options?! :Smile:

Harsh on Shaughnessy to not even make the bench?

Yeah I knew that would get brought up. I think 2 defensive subs is an adequate amount, so had to choose 2 from Shaughnessy, M-N and Kyp. Kyp gets in due to more versatility, so that left one place on the bench. Despite his mistake I felt M-N was (marginally) better than Joe on Saturday, plus dropping him completely could demolish his confidence.

The thoughts on Ted Smith are interesting. He hasn't played a competitive match for a year or more. Granted as soon he is registered we can't have an emergency loan. I would have to go for Seaden in goal.

I have also assumed that the ex Macclesfield players will be ok to play.

Not holding a lot of hope for Saturday, we have 7 of the current top 9 to play. This is the first of them.

Is it wrong that im looking forward to the "last game of the season" pre match thread......

i expect a gallant performance from the youngsters, the pros to do their best, a few weird tactics and defensive play and hopefully keep it under a 3 goal loss....

I hope, of course, for a win.

Amy idea how many tickets we've sold to date.?
Projection of likely numbers?
Wouldve been a bit of a local one for me, unfortunately still in Oztralia

they smashed a better than us Wimbledon team 5-0 last week, looking worrying for us again

lets hope I'm so far away from being right you could drive a truck through it

Assuming we make some signings this week - I'd go with:

Gunnarsson/Smith

Elvis Vassell Dieng Shaughnessy Clifford

Osadebe Milligan Macca

Kelman Acquah

Subs: Seaden, MMN, Demi, Mantom, Barrett, Goodship, Rush
I know he's raw, but Acquah is a big unit and at least adds some bulk and height up front, we might as well blood him now to see if he's an option for next season or not as a back up striker.

It is Monday, not much to chew over but this is a game where we could get thumped, first of several such fixtures so a plan, strategy and tactic needs working on to keep it tight and hope for a break.
GK, I would like to see an experience emergency loan from a Chump side or a rival team to Ox U who would be pleased if we got a point and want to help us, but who knows.
If Dieng, Captain Tim, is to play and is rated to stay by Sol, then he needs to be in the back 4.
Joe S isn't quick or match fast so MMN to keep his place? or another run out for Kyp?
For this away fixture a solo striker is okay (& I am surprised I can type that!) so Charlie it is.
Macca has to play, he has become a worker.
If Demi is going to stay he MIGHT get a pick but it is a large BUT I think?

SO, MY team, (not Sol's likely selection) and without factoring the Macc Men.

GK
Elvis, MMN, Dieng, Clifford
Spike
Macca, Hutch , Mantom, Barratt

Charlie K

But if, IF we could get Hump back???

4 of us as usual making the trip. Just for a change going on blues on tour as fed up of getting stuck in the car park for an hour after the game at the Kassam. Given up worrying about the score line anymore, just about day out with mates and kids and having a sing song getting behind the team. No point in getting upset or disappointed with the result but simple support the team we all love

Two value bets for this game;

Oxford to score 5+ goals is 9/1

Both teams to score & Southend to win is 20/1

Back