• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Player clear outs

rigsby

Life President⭐
With tempers running high, L2 looking inevitable and lots of talk about binning 20+ players perhaps its time for a reality check...... Would that actually do the club any good.

Yes its a chance to get rid of those you don't like but of course there is no guarantee they would go and the term "it cant get any worse" has been used by all of us....On several occasions in the last 18 months but it turns out it can....In fact it can get a lot worse.

For a start you cant just sack players, track suites and trips to the pub or not. Nor can you you transfer them or send them out on loan if they don't want to and more to the point who would take them. We have plenty of examples of clubs having 15 or more come in the summer and it hasn't worked, Bolton being the latest.

In January that would be even harder. We would get players who have failed elsewhere or agents who smell blood in a desperate club. looking at our fixtures over Christmas and into January we have a tricky game at Bolton on the 21st, MK on 26th, Bury is cancelled, Wimbledon on the 1st. Then Gills on the 4th and Tranmere on the 11th....So our fate will be decided before we can virtually make any changes anyway. If we waste our money flogging a dead L1 horse in January we may miss the better option in June and July.

Its nonsense to suggest we shift on any of our young players especially as we are heading to L2 ....Perfect to place to build a young team in. I'm not against binning 3 or 4 of the p*** takers even if it costs us in Jan but Sol should use his contacts to have 4 or 5 loans in. Perhaps the sort of players who with a positive run to the end of the season might sign in the summer. After the disaster of 2019 I think its important to salvage some respectability for players and fans and go down with some pride......Otherwise the over the top fears of non league within 18 months might just be possible.

Last edited:
With tempers running high, L2 looking inevitable and lots of talk about binning 20+ players perhaps its time for a reality check...... Would that actually do the club any good.

Yes its a chance to get rid of those you don't like but of course their is no guarantee they would go and the term "it cant get any worse" has been used by all of us....On several occasions in the last 18 months but it turns out it can....In fact it can get a lot worse.

For a start you cant just sack players, track suites and trips to the pub or not. Nor can you you transfer them or send them out on loan if they don't want to and more to the point who would take them. We have plenty of examples of clubs having 15 or more come in the summer and it hasn't worked, Bolton being the latest.

In January that would be even harder. We would get players who have failed elsewhere or agents who smell blood in a desperate club. looking at our fixtures over Christmas and into January we have a tricky game at Bolton on the 21st, MK on 26th, Bury is cancelled, Wimbledon on the 1st. Then Gills on the 4th and Tranmere on the 11th....So our fate will be decided before we can virtually make any changes anyway. If we waste our money flogging a dead L1 horse in January we may miss the better option in June and July.

Its nonsense to suggest we shift on any of our young players especially as we are heading to L2 ....Perfect to place to build a young team in. I'm not against binning 3 or 4 of the p*** takers even if it costs us in Jan but Sol should use his contacts to have 4 or 5 loans in. Perhaps the sort of players who with a positive run to the end of the season might sign in the summer. After the disaster of 2019 I think its important to salvage some respectability for players and fans and go down with some pride......Otherwise the over the top fears of non league within 18 months might just be possible.

I largely agree with that however how many loans are you actually allowed in/can play at any one time? We'll probably need to find some players whose contracts are expiring and their clubs will let them go early - like we did with Humphrys and Ladapo. I think Lee Barnard was another who was signed in January - as was one of my all time favourites Mark Bentley.

ps Name and shame the 3 or 4 **** takers you'd bin.

Ok, 20+ players is probably quite a bit too many. However, there are 10+ at least that I would not be massively sorry to see leave:

Oxley
Bishop
Shaughnessy
Kiernan
Lennon
Milligan
Mantom
Dieng
Hyam
McLaughlin
Ndukwu
Hamilton
Humphrys (only if he’s one of the bad apples)
Demetriou
Ralph
Ridgewell

That’s 16 and I’ve probably missed someone!

Those listed above are not all equally unpopular with me - but I don’t think any is the answer to what we need. Looking at the list, it’s not surprising we are where we are in the league (sadly).

I should add that if anyone on the list above decides to start playing like anything approaching their current potential then I am personally completely up for them staying. What I am not up for is permanent sicknotes, lazy uncaring performances or a lack of professional pride and discipline. We pay good money to watch this **** - and it is **** at the moment.

Bury who spent a load of money on players in 17/18 got relegated with a load of players who didn’t give a crap about the club but individually they thought were good players ie Chris Maguire of Sunderland etc sounds familiar?
Had a clearout in the summer when they went down.
Now they obviously cease to exist but with their total new look side would’ve been back in league 1 first time of asking.
A clearout can work and we’re lucky a load of contracts are up this summer so it won’t cost us anything to ship a load on

Ok, 20+ players is probably quite a bit too many. However, there are 10+ at least that I would not be massively sorry to see leave:

Oxley
Bishop
Shaughnessy
Kiernan
Lennon
Milligan
Mantom
Dieng
Hyam
McLaughlin
Ndukwu
Hamilton
Demetriou
Ralph
Ridgewell

Those listed above are not all equally unpopular with me - but I don’t think any is the answer to what we need. Looking at the list, it’s not surprising we are where we are in the league (sadly).
Yes , you missed Cox

Clearouts, like any signing, don’t work simply because they fit that label. There are good and bad of both; well chosen and executed of both.

You cant get rid of 16 players in January and many of them can move on in the summer

Ridgewell will be gone and the two on loan may well be recalled by their parent clubs. Again depends on how Hamilton does over the next few games but he done more than OK at Rochdale and scored goals for them.

The Two I would definitely move on would be Kiernan and Demtriou because they are P*** takers and they have rinsed us in the treatment room so we don't owe them they owe us.

Others are on my watch list for malingering like Mantom and Dieng

Cox has to much to say in the dressing room and when a couple of us wise old heads went to speak to him about his injury pre-season, he could barley look us in the eye and quickly nipped off......Sorry Simon but I've been around long enough to know that look. Either way his and McL's time will be up this summer

Unfair on Bishop he is young for a keeper and Ralph has been over criticised and still has potential. Lennon may choose to go after pubgate.

Milligan is a strange one. Looked the part early on but now looks uninterested. I have heard he is arrogant but could that be down to him summing up our squad and not having much respect for them.

Anyway the best person to decide is Sol. So I will trust him, he doesn't have to suffer fools because he isn't desperate to keep a job.....That may be a big plus for the task a head.

Oxley
Bishop
Shaughnessy
Kiernan
Lennon
Milligan
Mantom
Dieng
Hyam
McLaughlin
Ndukwu
Hamilton
Demetriou
Ralph
Ridgewell

Cox is apparently one of the bad apples so add him to your list

I think we can definitely upgrade on the 2 loanees we have and with Ridgewell off the payroll we maybe able to get 2 players in on his wages .
Sounds easy on paper but I have no clue who would come to us and who would be available who would be an improvement

I think we can definitely upgrade on the 2 loanees we have and with Ridgewell off the payroll we maybe able to get 2 players in on his wages .
Sounds easy on paper but I have no clue who would come to us and who would be available who would be an improvement

Well that last bit will be easy!

who would i let go or better still who would i keep,I do this now believing we will be in lge 2 next season.
I would keep. Bishop,Elvis,Dieng,Shaughnessy,kryptonite,Ralph,Barrett,Hutchinson,Mantom,Humphries, Goodship,Hopper,Kelman, Acquah,,White(on a 1 year contract only).Plus those young players from u23s.

So if you were manger of a Championship/PL clubs under 23's......Would you send your best talent to to Southend this January?

Even a lower league player that is a regular starter would think twice about joining a side that is rock bottom and destined for relegation .

So if you were manger of a Championship/PL clubs under 23's......Would you send your best talent to to Southend this January?

I just don’t rate Hamilton , I’d be amazed if he ends up being anything less than a lower league player , even in league 2 we managed to get a few decent loanees in

Serious question , surely it would have to be a lower league player which is a gamble or a loanee again which is a gamble - have you any players in mind who you think would fit the bill ?

I don’t pretend to know the intimacies of all the squads of the football league, or players currently not under contract. Our management team will to a far greater degree and, yes, I’d be delighted if they get the opportunity sooner rather than later.

Back