• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend United 0 Southampton 3

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glasgowsufc @ Aug. 23 2005,10:19)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Aug. 23 2005,08:44)]You could see a marked difference in technique, in positional sense and, perhaps tellingly, in height.
Are you talking about Arnold from Diff'rent Strokes who was the Sky MotM (scored their 2nd goal)  
tounge.gif
A very generous MOM decision in my opinion. He played alright but didn't get a look in for first 46 minutes, under Lewis careful management. If I was there centre back, the number 7, I would be very disappointed not to get the nod. He was different class.

Is it true about Joe Cole being at the game? Plus I didn't think Flavs was at fought for any of the goals. Fairly decent overall performance.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BrettieAngell @ Aug. 23 2005,11:59)]Yeah Joe Cole was at the game, apparently Mitchell Cole is banging Joe's sister!
...er try HAS BANGED and she now has bread in the oven...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fish @ Aug. 23 2005,12:07)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BrettieAngell @ Aug. 23 2005,11:59)]Yeah Joe Cole was at the game, apparently Mitchell Cole is banging Joe's sister!
...er try HAS BANGED and she now has bread in the oven...
fair enough, they never mentioned that on the box!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tilly's Prodical Son @ Aug. 23 2005,11:49)]Plus I didn't think Flavs was at fought for any of the goals.
But surely you must agree he was at fault for at least one and probably two of the goals.

I've been going on for ages about how on the rare occasions he actually saves it, he pushes it straight back into the danger area. If you don't hold onto the ball you must get the ball out for a corner or at least push it wide and outside the 6 yard box. he should use the pace of the ball to deflect it wide and if it hasn't the pace to deflect it far enough away he really should be holding onto the ball.

Yes, the defending should have been much better, but he should have dealt with those first two shots more compotently.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Aug. 23 2005,12:27)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tilly's Prodical Son @ Aug. 23 2005,11:49)]Plus I didn't think Flavs was at fought for any of the goals.
But surely you must agree he was at fault for at least one and probably two of the goals.

I've been going on for ages about how on the rare occasions he actually saves it, he pushes it straight back into the danger area. If you don't hold onto the ball you must get the ball out for a corner or at least push it wide and outside the 6 yard box. he should use the pace of the ball to deflect it wide and if it hasn't the pace to deflect it far enough away he really should be holding onto the ball.

Yes, the defending should have been much better, but he should have dealt with those first two shots more compotently.
Have to say I agree, he was actually at fault for the first two goals last night. He really should have held on to the ball for the first instead of it squirming out for their striker to prod home from a yard and the intial save just before the second should have been tipped round the post.

This is a shame as he had probably his best 'all round' game in a very long time on Saturday (all round as in claiming crosses, distribution as well as shot stopping).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Aug. 23 2005,12:33)]This is a shame as he had probably his best 'all round' game in a very long time on Saturday (all round as in claiming crosses, distribution as well as shot stopping).
Agree 100%.

On Saturday he did everything that his critics (myself included) could have asked for and produced possibly his best display for the club, despite not making a noteworthy save. Having set such high standards it was doubly disappointing that he followed it up with such a poor game.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tilly's Prodical Son @ Aug. 23 2005,11:49)]Is it true about Joe Cole being at the game?
Yep... looks like Joe really enjoyed himself at Roots Hall...

oops.gif

1124739452sptai01southendvsout1.jpg

Loads of photos on a thread on the Saints Forever board, including this great one of The Goat:

1124741533sptai11southendvsout.jpg

Thread is here

The verdict from today's Southern Daily Echo....

Harry Redknapp was pleased with his youngsters who helped Saints beat Southend 3-0 last night - but remains unconvinced they are ready to take the club back into the Premier$hite....Mills, Dyer and Blackstock particularly shone, although the scoreline was a bit harsh on the hosts.... Redknapp said: "...I did not think we passed the ball as well as we can, especially in the first half. They made it hard for us but we got away with it and the margin flattered us. We came in at half-time 2-0 up with two quick goals just before the break. I'm not quite sure how we managed it but we did. And that killed them off. They had a lot of the ball and passed it well to get among us. We were poor first half."

The main match report says that last night was Saints' third consecutive victory, the first time that has happened since December 2003. Other quotes from the report: [Saints] struggeld to find any early rhythm and Southend enjoyed good spells of early possession without ever really threatening. Although saints were seeing less of the ball, they always looked more likely to make their chances count...There appeared to be little in a game lacking in real quality when Saints suddenly struck with what proved to be a fatal double blow... A feeling of inevitability lingered throughout the second half as Southend again found themselves enjoying periods of pressure without looking likely to score. The closest they came was a powerful header from Spencer Prior, which Smith did well to tip over...Reading too much into this match - and indeed the wins against Sheffield Wednesday and Norwich - would be a mistake. Saints still look like a team that could struggle for enough goals to amass the sort of points total that would mean automatic promotion.

They gave the players the following ratings and comments:

Darryl 5 The Saints fan and ex-Dell keeper will have been disappointed with the two first-half goals.

Lewis Hunt 5 Was given a tough evening by Dyer.

Barrett 6 Solid at the heart of defence.

Spinner 6 Stood up pretty well to Blackstock and Jones.

Che 6 Solid up against Prutton.

Petts 6 Was occasionally dangerous.

Kev 7 Worked hard and put in a good performance.

Jay Smith 6 Decent display helped Southend get a good foothold in midfield.

Cole 6 Cranie generally kept him quiet.

The Goat 7 Southend's most dangerous player.

Wayne 5 Made little impact on Mills and Hajto.

Referee 7 Had few major decisions to make

Atmosphere 6/10 Saints killed off Southend's hopes by half-time and the crowd were subdued.

Entertainment 6/10 Few chances during the match, but it came to life just before half-time.

That's a pretty fair reflection of the match, even if Lewis' rating is a bit low IMO.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (OlvisIII @ Aug. 23 2005,10:39)]
[b said:
[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Aug. 23 2005,08:44)]You could see a marked difference in technique, in positional sense and, perhaps tellingly, in height.
Are you talking about Arnold from Diff'rent Strokes who was the Sky MotM (scored their 2nd goal)  
tounge.gif
A very generous MOM decision in my opinion.  He played alright but didn't get a look in for first 46 minutes, under Lewis careful management.  If I was there centre back, the number 7, I would be very disappointed not to get the nod.  He was different class.
Saints' number 7, Tomasz Hajto, is made man of the match by the Southern Daily Echo. He is the only player to get an 8, and they say he "is becoming the rock in Saints' excellent early-season defence".

I think that assessment is pretty spot on, and i must agree that the ref in general was good, letting the game flow, and played some good advantages for both sides.

[b said:
[b said:
tounge.gif
Shaun Wright-Arnold from Different Strokes more like! He was stupidly fast.

Thought he maybe edged the MOTM. Thought the guy who constantly played over by the West Stand was pretty useful and their massive, massive centre back barely put a foot wrong (except for when he tried about 3 long balls in a row after cutting us apart with one but they were all terrible!)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Southampton Shrimper @ Aug. 23 2005,16:20)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (OlvisIII @ Aug. 23 2005,10:39)]
[b said:
[b said:
tounge.gif
A very generous MOM decision in my opinion.  He played alright but didn't get a look in for first 46 minutes, under Lewis careful management.  If I was there centre back, the number 7, I would be very disappointed not to get the nod.  He was different class.
Saints' number 7, Tomasz Hajto, is made man of the match by the Southern Daily Echo. He is the only player to get an 8, and they say he "is becoming the rock in Saints' excellent early-season defence".
Honestly hadn't read that before posting!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Aug. 23 2005,12:27)]I've been going on for ages about how on the rare occasions he actually saves it, he pushes it straight back into the danger area. If you don't hold onto the ball you must get the ball out for a corner or at least push it wide and outside the 6 yard box. he should use the pace of the ball to deflect it wide and if it hasn't the pace to deflect it far enough away he really should be holding onto the ball.

I think technically that's a point we've agreed on here.

biggrin.gif

I won't even mention the spelling mistake!

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (londonblue @ Aug. 23 2005,09:16)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy_S @ Aug. 22 2005,23:18)]Oh, and the Grays chairman was at the game and was deep in conversation with Geoffrey King before the game. He was with a big black bloke but I wouldn't speculate it was Oli because, well, I don't think it was.  
laugh.gif

oops.gif
He was probably asking for payment for Fredy and Mitch! They guy with him was probably his heavy.
it wasnt dennis oli. the black bloke was just some random bloke who was friends with some of the southampton players. he was in the platinum suite after the game where i was talking to him for a while. apparently he doesnt even play football!

Back