• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Stephen Humphrys - Our player, but for how long?

RHB

I'm a Mod too⭐⭐
Staff member
Humphrys goal against Sunderland will go down in Southend history as the one that kept us in FL1, now, with the season not yet begun he has found the net 3 times in friendlies. Obviously Chris Powell saw a natural goalscorer in Humphrys and that is something that will hopefully bring him a hatful this season.

He is contracted with Southend until 2021 but will he last that long before the tempting bids start coming in? If he continues in his current vein of form and goals then I think we will be lucky to see him with us next season (20/21).

What do you think?

I've already begun the campaign for him to get 30 goals this season. People laughed, but I genuinely think he's the perfect L1 forward and has huge potential.

I'd love for us to try and keep him for two seasons and mount a decent championship promotion campaign with him leading the line, but we'll just have to wait and see.

It entirely depends on how many he bags this season. 20+ and he'll be off no doubt.

I am genuinely excited by what a fully fit Stephen Humphrys can do over the course of a full season. I think he has loads of goals in him, and hopefully we can keep hold of him for a decent amount of time.

He seems to becoming very settled in the area with his Mrs, so i would hope a move would only be a for a good step forward for him (the Championship), not just a sideways step - so should mean good money for SUFC if it happens

One threads about you all convincing yourselves that pre season friendlies don’t mean toffee, the next thread is about how we have unearthed the next Freddie Eastwood because he’s scored three goals in pre season games ....

What is it ? Do they mean anything or not ??

Humphrys goal against Sunderland will go down in Southend history as the one that kept us in FL1, now, with the season not yet begun he has found the net 3 times in friendlies. Obviously Chris Powell saw a natural goalscorer in Humphrys and that is something that will hopefully bring him a hatful this season.

He is contracted with Southend until 2021 but will he last that long before the tempting bids start coming in? If he continues in his current vein of form and goals then I think we will be lucky to see him with us next season (20/21).

What do you think?
I think, ask the question after the New Year. The season hasn’t started yet and friendlies mean nothing. Stephen is doing well but the 3 pre-season games he’s scored in have been against lower league opposition.

If he gets off to a blinding first half of the season I could see clubs coming in for him in January.

I think he will comfortably hit 20 league goals.

He just needs to stay injury free.

A front 3 of him, cox and hopper will cause problems

Blimey, we're normally worried because the strikers aren't scoring. Now we have to worry because one's scoring too much. I think it's one of those things you just let play out. Freddy Eastwood scored a hat-trick in his first game. All that first season he was linked to about 12 clubs, some posters even saying it's a done deal. He played for us for three seasons. When actual bids come in way down the line, then it's time to worry about it.

Blimey, we're normally worried because the strikers aren't scoring. Now we have to worry because one's scoring too much. I think it's one of those things you just let play out. Freddy Eastwood scored a hat-trick in his first game. All that first season he was linked to about 12 clubs, some posters even saying it's a done deal. He played for us for three seasons. When actual bids come in way down the line, then it's time to worry about it.
Freddy stayed more than likely because we went up with him. Think we can all be sure we won't be troubling the promotion race this season.

I think, ask the question after the New Year. The season hasn’t started yet and friendlies mean nothing. Stephen is doing well but the 3 pre-season games he’s scored in have been against lower league opposition.
You may well be right, but I think the thread may have so longevity about it. As Humphry's season progresses we will see how he does and what the impact is on his career and the Club's future. He could end up as a crash and burn merchant but I think Pubey called it right at post 2, he could be a goal magnet, we shall see.

Possibly why Bond signed Goodship with this in mind?

More likely because they expect Theo to go. To be fair, I would still be very happy for Theo to stay, and reality is that Hopper isn't yet recovered, Coxy will behind with his pre-season because of his calf issues. We might need the cover in the first few months of the season

More likely because they expect Theo to go. To be fair, I would still be very happy for Theo to stay, and reality is that Hopper isn't yet recovered, Coxy will behind with his pre-season because of his calf issues. We might need the cover in the first few months of the season

I think you need four first team forwards for a season to cover injuries, loss of form or to just freshen up the attack during the game.

When we last got promoted out of league 1, we could pick between Eastwood, Goater, Gray and Lawson. All four made contributed goals to get us up IIRC.

Wont score many if the chances are not created for him. Not confident they will be at the moment looking at our midfield.

Possibly why Bond signed Goodship with this in mind?
That poor kid doesn’t stand a chance with the lack of service he will get, only the likes of Humphrey’s or cox will score in this atrocious team, Goodship will require service and that’s not something this midfield will be able to provide

He's been really impressive and when Cox is fit, does Hopper get back into the team?
Hopper when fit will certainly be back in the team,Hes the perfect foil for the likes of Cox and Humphreys,we would probably play a 4-3-3 0r 4-3-2-1,may even adopt a 4-2-3-1.

Hopper when fit will certainly be back in the team,Hes the perfect foil for the likes of Cox and Humphreys,we would probably play a 4-3-3 0r 4-3-2-1,may even adopt a 4-2-3-1.

I agree he’ll be back in the side but all the above formations involve a CF and either two wide men or two deeper ‘10’ like players ??

It’ll be more likely if all three play that cox would drop deeper in either a 3-5-2 or a 4-4-2 diamond with cox at the top of it.

I don’t see Hopper or Humphrys being anything other than out and out CFs

Back