• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Tranmere Rovers 2-0 Southend United

I think MM got the tactics right today, but perhaps not the personnel. I 'd have liked to see Acquah and Goodship up front together. We bossed the first half but conceded a goal from a set piece which was well taken by Clarke. Tranmere scored again with a ridiculous deflection in the second half and they had a good spell for ten minutes but then we came back and finished strongly. It was a much improved performance by us - BUT we cannot score a goal to save our lives. At least we had 13 shots this time but it doesn't matter how well we play if we don't score. Tranmere played very, very poorly but were able to score a good goal thanks to our poor defending. The second goal was just freakish.

Memo to MM: keep the same tactics on Tuesday evening please.

Post your ratings here too

Up until their goal we passed the ball well and got into the attacking third of multiple occasions, but we don't have anyone who can unlock the defence and put in a dangerous ball.

In the past we've had at least one or two players we could give the ball to and they would provide multiple good chances per game. The likes of Kevan Hurst, David Worrall, Ryan Hall and Ben Coker could provide 10+ assists per season. This season I would be surprised if anyone got 5.

Dominated in that first half hour, then you have to give credit to Tranmere for changing their formation, Clarkey for doing exactly what we know he does and then them not allowing us to have much opportunity after that.

Ref could have given us two penalties and didn't (2nd one was more of one than the 1st I think).

We need to find a goal scorer, Acquah had some interesting battles with Clarke but he's still not showing me any indication that he's a goal scorer at this level. Not much creativity, though good to see Clifford with some quality in his crossing. Egbri flatters to deceive.

Felt Oxley should have done better with their 2nd goal, yes, it deflected off Dieng but it was the way he was already going.

Disappointing day at the office.

We should have won that game but we simply cannot score and seem to have no real threat going forward. We need to get the embargo lifted so we can bring in someone to put the ball away. I'm know I'm going to regret saying this but right now I'd invite Ranger down to train to help Acquah develop a bit, if he keeps his nose clean we can give him a deal until the end of the season

Dreadful. We are as good as down already and nobody is convincing me otherwise. I'm done with the positivity because the hope will kill me at this point with everything else going on in our daily lives.

Sad to say but for the first time ever while supporting the Blues, I will be voluntarily missing games ?

Post your ratings here too

Up until their goal we passed the ball well and got into the attacking third of multiple occasions, but we don't have anyone who can unlock the defence and put in a dangerous ball.

In the past we've had at least one or two players we could give the ball to and they would provide multiple good chances per game. The likes of Kevan Hurst, David Worrall, Ryan Hall and Ben Coker could provide 10+ assists per season. This season I would be surprised if anyone got 5.

I was hoping that would be Nathaniel-George. Did he not impress then?

Much better performance overall, think the tactics were right and we were playing higher up the pitch and moving the ball about better in the first half.

I think we just have to come to terms with the fact that we are not good enough and likely, as things stand, do t have anywhere near enough quality to stay in this division. The defence desperately needs strengthening and we don't have anybody who can either create or put away a chance. I just can't see where a goal is coming from, and we look likely to concede at every opposition set piece.

We should have won that game but we simply cannot score and seem to have no real threat going forward. We need to get the embargo lifted so we can bring in someone to put the ball away. I'm know I'm going to regret saying this but right now I'd invite Ranger down to train to help Acquah develop a bit, if he keeps his nose clean we can give him a deal until the end of the season

He didn’t always do that when he was on our books so can’t see him doing it now !

This week will tell us everything we need to know .If the tax bill is not fully cleared and the embargo lifted with a couple of quality players brought in asap..... Ron will take us out of the football league.
No matter how well we competed for a while today against a poor side we are out of depth at this poor level Couldn't believe the stats are looking just like last season

We were very good for the first half an hour but that counts for nothing when you don’t have a single goalscorer in the squad and can’t defend from set pieces. We give up as soon as we go a goal down, the players are resigned to losing and this has been the case for a while now and has been the case with 3 or 4 managers.

This has to be one of the lowest points in our history, last season was awful but at least we had the cushion of knowing we were falling into L2 and not non-league.

We have absolutely no chance of staying up, a decent goalscorer will give us a glimmer of hope, but I can’t see how we’d be able to attract one.

You are deluded if you think this is MM’s fault. The squad simply isn’t good enough and we don’t have the resources to change that.

I wish people would realise that both things can exist at the same time. Ron Martin is to blame mostly, but at the same time can understand that MM *might* not be up too much.

I think the stance of saying "Runs deeper than Molesley, none of this his fault" is quite frankly, dangerous. Any other manager would have been ripped to shreds by now, why are affording MM such a luxury? What's it going to take, 10 games without a win? 15 games without a win?

"He is playing kids" that excuse has expired now. About the last 5 games he has only started 1 or 2 'kids'. He has signed 8 players and actually spent a fee on ANG, and is about to have the embargo cleared. Time to show something.

For what it's worth, I am not MM out. Silly and way too premature, but he is not exempt from criticism. Even the commentators today were questioning little decisions he makes. All Im saying is, some moaned Ron doesn't act fast enough. He doesn't need to act on anything yet of course, but if the time comes, I hope he don't take long. Because I don't think MM makes it past christmas.

Hugely frustrating result after what in large was a good performance. We started the game very well, James Olayinka looked bright and could have put us ahead and it would have been what we deserved. Their first goal game totally against the run of play, could Oxley could have come for it? I actually don't think so. For me it was just poor marking once again and we got punished. Tranmere (who let's have it right, they aren't much better than us.. in fact I'd put money on them coming down with us, again) changed their entire shape to match us such as the positive way we started the game. Second half we wasn't as fluid in our play and once the second goal went in with a huge slice of luck the game was all but over. We just don't have a goal scorer in the squad and that's a big problem. We can create, not a lot but we do create but having no one to put the chances away will always hamper us. I thought the referee was once again crap today. Time after time we let Peter Clarke climb all over Emile without blowing up for a foul and in fact he actually gave a foul against Emile during the first half because Clarke went right over the top of him. I thought we could easily have had a penalty given for JD but the Sterling shout, I don't think so.

Make no mistake about it, I am not calling for MM head.. nor am I starting to think along those lines, but.. there is only so long before good performances without results will save you from doubt. I'm still firmly in the belief that given time and under the right conditions he will do well for us but that's 6 defeats now with only 2 draws. How long before Ron loses patience?

OX 7 - could do nothing with the goals and a couple of smart stops to keep it from being a cricket score.

Elvis - 7 Confident play from him

Dieng - 6 out on headers too much for a CB

Lennon - 6 some good tackles , looks flat footed at times

Clifford - 7 good play from him

Egbri -5 - too many passes going off the pitch or to noone

Taylor - 6 - good ... but what he does best won't win us games , he needs players around him

Demi - 6 - same as taylor

ANG - 6 - looks a threat , didn't do alot

Olayinka - 7 I like him , will open doors for the attackers

Emile - 7 He does what he does well ... So why play him up top on his own ? Needs someone linking off of him

Sterling - 5 - should have come on earlier to support Emile not to replace him

Goodship - 5 - Touch of ... spings to mind

Rush - NA stopped watching at this point

A much improved performance but we need to take the chances that come our way, people will still moan as always:Sorry:

We are the worst team in the football league by some way. Only way this is getting better is with new players. Whatever tactics MM uses, however hard the players try, we just aren’t good enough. Teams.. bad out of form teams don’t even have to break a sweat to beat us.
Can’t be bothered with ratings.
thought Clifford was decent.Dieng playing in one win for Southend in two years says it all about him.
Ron... where is my newsletter!!’

Back