• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tesco - taking the P!ss surely

* ORM *

Still Loves Emma Bunton. Roy McDonough is God!
Flying the flag for SUFC in Sai Kung, Hong Kong
Not content with having a superstore that has only just been extensively refurbished and extended they are now builing a Tesco metro no more than about 1-1/2 miles away along the Rayleigh Road near Progress Road (the former Esso garage). How the bloody hell did they get planning permission for that ?

There's a massive co-op less than 100 yards away from it which will no doubt not be able to compete and will close as a result. I saw a snippet in the paper the other day where (I believe it was) a councillor, claimed that the Petrol garage had been closed for weeks and welcomed the new development. This garage shut no more than 3 weeks ago, do doubt with a nice backhander along the way.

I think this is a bloody disgrace. No doubt Tesco will laugh all the way to the bank but why should they be allowed to build within 5 miles of a megastore ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Jan. 02 2007,21:14)]Not content with having a superstore that has only just been extensively refurbished and extended they are now builing a Tesco metro no more than about 1-1/2 miles away along the Rayleigh Road near Progress Road (the former Esso garage). How the bloody hell did they get planning permission for that ?

There's a massive co-op less than 100 yards away from it which will no doubt not be able to compete and will close as a result. I saw a snippet in the paper the other day where (I believe it was) a councillor, claimed that the Petrol garage had been closed for weeks and welcomed the new development. This garage shut no more than 3 weeks ago, do doubt with a nice backhander along the way.

I think this is a bloody disgrace. No doubt Tesco will laugh all the way to the bank but why should they be allowed to build within 5 miles of a megastore ?
miserable f%ck

Being the biggest employer in the country might help swing things like planning permission. Same thing has happened at Tarpots, less than 3 miles from the Pitsea Superstore.

Where I live we have a choice of two Co-op's a tesco express and a Sainsburys superstore

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SUFCHUTTON @ Jan. 02 2007,21:24)]Where I live we have a choice of two Co-op's a tesco express and a Sainsburys superstore
i take it you chose tesco then. Personally i dont really see a problem with tesco opeing on more stores, much better than the co-op's.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chalkwell blue @ Jan. 02 2007,22:19)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (SUFCHUTTON @ Jan. 02 2007,21:24)]Where I live we have a choice of two Co-op's a tesco express and a Sainsburys superstore
i take it you chose tesco then. Personally i dont really see a problem with tesco opeing on more stores, much better than the co-op's.
can only be good for the consumer as well. simple economics. unless of course tesco's forces the closure of all 'minor' supermarket chains and therfore turning the market in to an ologopoly (think thats right). bit more advanced economics.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chalkwell blue @ Jan. 02 2007,22:19)]
[b said:
To me it's another step down the road to fulfilling Orwell's 1984 prophesy. East vs West, political correctness and the world being controlled by one or two monoliths. I find it quite disturbing.

agreed the co-ops are crap!! at the end of the day customers are gonna vote with their feet (as the saying goes) if people dont like it they wont go there and they'll have to close - chances are tho people are gonna choose to go to the tesco cos they give customers what they want better than the other stores can, more choice and cheaper prices!

Its hardly as if Tesco are squeezing out small businesses - we're talkling about them taking over an Esso garage in order to compete with Co-op...

As someone who lives down by where the new store will be I welcome them with open arms. That Co-op has been overcharging Eastwood's residents for years.

Blah

Tesco's are cheaper than Co-Op on a general like to like basis

Tesco staff there stores better than Co-Op

Tesco have a wider selection of goods than Co-Op

So what is the problem of brining better value and service to the consumer?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ Jan. 02 2007,23:17)]Its hardly as if Tesco are squeezing out small businesses - we're talkling about them taking over an Esso garage in order to compete with Co-op...

As someone who lives down by where the new store will be I welcome them with open arms. That Co-op has been overcharging Eastwood's residents for years.
*ORM in talking sh!te shocker*
tounge.gif

I totally agree with you though Beefy, co-op there need a bit of competition. Some of their prices for things are ridiculous.

It is only going to be a little metro anyway. Probably half the size, half the price, but twice as good as the co-op too!!

Here's another stat.

Half of all new retail space opened in 2006 was Tesco's

(adjusted for closures and unused retail space)

Verdict Research Ltd

It's more than just entering local markets to compete, it's establishing such utter dominance in a market that you can use your size to continually bully people in to further contributing to your profits.

You need look no further than Tesco's (and other supermarkets, in fairness) often appalling way in which they deal with suppliers. It's very much a contract that the suppliers can't afford to lose and as a result, they are forced in to excessive reduction in price.

I'm not in favour of Co-Op and I think our agricultural industry is far too subsidised to make it inefficient but I feel that Tesco's continued and aggressive exapnsion, while not a problem now, gives them the ability to crank up pressure on their rivals. Unfortunately, it will be hard to reduce this when we may be wiser after the event.

i agree that the way they handle suppliers isnt the best, but then again as you say, they're not the only retalier to do so.

On the flip side, some of the stuff they do for the community and the kids (eg: computers for schools etc) can only be helped by such expansion.

Theres a plus and a negative side to everything, and once you choose your view its hard for people to change that, but the simple fact for me is that if i can buy some groceries quicker, cheaper and easier, at my convienience, i couldnt really care less about the suppliers, because they probably have more money than me anyway.

Usually I can't be arsed to drive down to Tesco's Extra unless I've got to do a big shop and being single that's not very often so I usually get what I need from the Co Op and I have to say their prices for certain goods are way over the top, on busy times the queues are absolutely horrendous and can also be a right pain in the backside to park nearby.

The other day I asked a young lady cashier what her thoughts were on the impending opening of the new Tesco Metro not more than 100 yards away and she was resigned to the fact that inevitably they will not be able to compete and will close. I suggested she get her CV and job application off to Tesco asap to which she replied with a wink "Already done".

Seems a shame really but in this day and age, and especially in the retail sector, it's a clear case of survival of the fittest and in that respect you cannot criticise Tesco's for ultimately giving the general public exactly what it wants.

Back