• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is it me or are we turning against each other

Unfortunately in-fighting is a sad reality of messageboard culture. I'm a bit of a messageboard junkie and post on a wide range of sites. I don't think there's a single one where at one time or another people haven't got personal with fellow posters.

Your right even on the Essex CCC messageboard there is in-fighting amongst posters and that's cricket.

I'm talking about 2003/4-ish, when we weren't doing well at all, but the expectation wasnt there!
Ah, further back than I was thinking. Perhaps we long suffering supporters are more accepting of the bad seasons than others. Don't get me wrong I love the sucesses but I can remember when we had to apply for re-election to the league. Those were the REALLY bad days! When you've been through that being knocked out of the cup is still hard to accept but I'm still grateful we haven't gone the way of Cambridge, Oxford, Exeter etc.

Your right even on the Essex CCC messageboard there is in-fighting amongst posters and that's cricket.

Actually, I checked and that's just not cricket.

(Shotgun no-one makes that joke while I'm writing the rest of this.

I'm actually surprised anyone has the temerity to insult anyone after the plethora of "I-told-you-so" opportunities FM13 could throw back. For those who don't know, Footymad13 got a load of abuse and I'm sure a lot of his comments were ridiculous but he's since been proven on Southend getting to the Championship, Tilson as a mangaerial appointment and several other points relating to the importance of players in the team.

Anyway, personally, I couldn't care less what someone says to me on an Internet messageboard. It tends to make me laugh at some of the reactions on here to fairly innocuous insults.

What does annoy me is seeing the same regurgitated arguments based on either disproved evidence or against arguments that have been all but proven. It only serves to perpetuate misinformation.

I can remember when we had to apply for re-election to the league[./QUOTE]

But the last time that happened was 70 odd years ago :eek: :eek:

I presume you meant the close shave we had in '85 (??) when we beat Torquay on the last day to avoid it ;)

Hmm, I must have a very poor childhood memory of impending doom in seasons before that! I obviously listened to my Dad & Uncle moaning about how rubbish they were. Rowley out! :p

I can remember when we had to apply for re-election to the league[./QUOTE]

But the last time that happened was 70 odd years ago :eek: :eek:

I presume you meant the close shave we had in '85 (??) when we beat Torquay on the last day to avoid it ;)

I can remember Steve Phillips scoring the penalty that day that meant we avoided re-election, we all charged on the pitch when he scored & went on again at the final whistle, no risk of a 3 year ban in those days! For such a vital game the crowd was only about 1,700 how times have changed.

I think Steve Phillips scored about 20 goals that season and we would have been bottom if it was not for him. He was only about 5' 7" and always gave 100%, most of the team was cack that season (apart from Phillips, Pennyfather & Hadley).

Actually, I checked and that's just not cricket.

(Shotgun no-one makes that joke while I'm writing the rest of this.

I'm actually surprised anyone has the temerity to insult anyone after the plethora of "I-told-you-so" opportunities FM13 could throw back. For those who don't know, Footymad13 got a load of abuse and I'm sure a lot of his comments were ridiculous but he's since been proven on Southend getting to the Championship, Tilson as a mangaerial appointment and several other points relating to the importance of players in the team.

The big one with FM13 was the crowds. He suggested that were we to get out of League Two our crowds would shoot up as the town embraced their local club's success. We all laughed at the poor kid and patronisingly told him how we'd seen it all before and that we wouldn't ever get an average gate above 6,000ish.

I can remember Steve Phillips scoring the penalty that day that meant we avoided re-election, we all charged on the pitch when he scored & went on again at the final whistle, no risk of a 3 year ban in those days! For such a vital game the crowd was only about 1,700 how times have changed.

I think Steve Phillips scored about 20 goals that season and we would have been bottom if it was not for him. He was only about 5' 7" and always gave 100%, most of the team was cack that season (apart from Phillips, Pennyfather & Hadley).

Glenn Pennyfather...if there ever was a player who wasted his talent it was him. Could have played in the top flight if he wanted to.

The big one with FM13 was the crowds. He suggested that were we to get out of League Two our crowds would shoot up as the town embraced their local club's success. We all laughed at the poor kid and patronisingly told him how we'd seen it all before and that we wouldn't ever get an average gate above 6,000ish.

Who was this fella Beefy? Was he just a poster and fan or was he involved in the club setup....just wondering.

He was a 13 year old kid who used to post on here in I guess 2002/2003 when the membership of Shrimperzone was far smaller.

Back