• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Drop Gerrard

Out of interest, what would people say were the highlights of his 114 caps?

What games will you remember him for? What international matches did he change?

He showed those Andorrans when we beat them 3-0. Didn't know what had hit them.

In fairness to Gerrard, he'd be the first admit he didn't have a great England career - said as much when he got his 100th cap.

In fairness to Gerrard, he'd be the first admit he didn't have a great England career - said as much when he got his 100th cap.

Same can be said for Rooney - he'll no doubt overtake Bobby Charlton to become England's top scorer and he's done nothing to justify it in major tournaments. If Charlton had to play the dross that is Andorra and their ilk he'd been in the 100s.

Same can be said for Rooney - he'll no doubt overtake Bobby Charlton to become England's top scorer and he's done nothing to justify it in major tournaments. If Charlton had to play the dross that is Andorra and their ilk he'd been in the 100s.

Rooney was electric in Euro 2004.

Agreed.

The argument some are making that Gerrard can't be an England 'legend' just because he didn't win a WC or EC doesn't really stand up. I don't think having one of those on your CV is necessary to achieve 'legend' status with a national team. For example, Gary Lineker never won anything with England but I'd class him as a legend given the goals he scored and the many great memories he gave us England fans.

Agreed.

The argument some are making that Gerrard can't be an England 'legend' just because he didn't win a WC or EC doesn't really stand up. I don't think having one of those on your CV is necessary to achieve 'legend' status with a national team. For example, Gary Lineker never won anything with England but I'd class him as a legend given the goals he scored and the many great memories he gave us England fans.

Aye. Gerrard isn't an England legend not because he hasn't won anything, but because he's been distinctly ordinary.

And dire in every other tournament since.

That does him a great disservice considering that he's been injured and rushed back for at least half of them, and playing in an underwhelming and inharmonious side in the rest.

Rooney's a victim of his own talent and reputation. His initial years were so electric, so devastating and so promising that the yard stick to which he's measured has been warped. I think Scholes got it pretty bang on when he said Rooney peaked early, however people still carry a talent projection around and compare Rooney to where they feel he should be at this stage of his career. Yes, his application can be questioned, but not his talent. Rooney deserves the goalscoring record because, simply put, he's the most talented English footballer of his generation, and we've nothing even remotely similar to his level in the pipeline.

Aye. Gerrard isn't an England legend not because he hasn't won anything, but because he's been distinctly ordinary.

That does him a great disservice considering that he's been injured and rushed back for at least half of them, and playing in an underwhelming and inharmonious side in the rest.

Rooney's a victim of his own talent and reputation. His initial years were so electric, so devastating and so promising that the yard stick to which he's measured has been warped. I think Scholes got it pretty bang on when he said Rooney peaked early, however people still carry a talent projection around and compare Rooney to where they feel he should be at this stage of his career. Yes, his application can be questioned, but not his talent. Rooney deserves the goalscoring record because, simply put, he's the most talented English footballer of his generation, and we've nothing even remotely similar to his level in the pipeline.

See Owen, Michael

It will be interesting to see how Rooney does now he might get some decent service from midfield.

I'd agree with with this.And I was there in 2007 to see the game live.Gerrard was immense and turned the game round in the second half.

Don't forget the goal he scored in that 5-1 thrashing of Germany, either.

Uncle Leo's other comment is on the money too.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/jul/21/steven-gerrard-england-dream-liverpool

Agreed.

Exactly it's a stupid theory. We've only won one major tournament so does that mean only the 1966 team can be classed as legends?

:nope:He will by discerning fotball fans.:winking:

But by discerning football fans he won`t :winking:

I suppose I could claim I was subliminally influenced by my recent reading of Futebol Nation (A footballing History of Brazil) by David Goldblatt but twas a typo.

No good at this multi-tasking lark-fortunately I'm now on my hols.:smile:

Back