• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Films you've watched recently.

Trainspotting 2 - Really enjoyed it, stands up as a film in it's own right but does have a good few nods to the first film. A few laugh out loud moments and humour very much in the same ilk as the first film. Was worried it would be another sequel for sequels sake but not the case, would highly recommend

La La Land

Took my Mum and niece, yesterday, as they like musical, fantasy, romance style films and so I thought it would fit the bill.

Now, where to start with this. The opening scene bears no relation to the movie at all, other than to point out it's a musical. But is it, really. Is it anything at all? .. It's trying to be about three different things rolled into one to become a "masterpiece" but for that it needs great singing, great dancing, great script-writing and great feeling. It has none of those things and to rate it alongside the classics of "Singin' in the Rain" and the extraordinary "West Side Story" is laughable.

Don't get me wrong. The storyline is good. Some of the scenes really work and the last 20 minutes is worth seeing and easily the best part of the film. But you never feel associated with the characters. Considering there's only really Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone in it, there's no empathy with them at all, save a couple of very good scenes.

So what is it? .. It's not a family film, as there's no children cast in it. It's not a musical of any quality, due to the average singing and dreadful songs. It's not a romantic film, as there's no depth to the relationship. It's not a great cinematography classic, either. It's a messy mish-mash, designed to win a few Hollywood votes.

All in all, it's fun and reasonably enjoyable, if you don't scratch the surface. But Oscar standard? .. No way, for me.

Interesting but not 10/10 - 8/10 for me

Been some good ones of of late, tough to pick a top 3. I've got Moonlight to watch this weekend too, which is supposed to be a good 'un.

And oh yeah, I tried to watch Fences. I gave up, it's like watching a play on fast forward, just couldn't get on with it. Denzel Washington doesn't come up for air.

Been to the cinema twice in two days, which is good going because hadn't been to the cinema since Rogue One and Arrival.

Trainspotting 2 - 7/10 - really enjoyed it and linked back nicely to the original (and to the books if you're an IW nerd). The plot struggled to hang together a lot of the way but leave your brain at the door and enjoy seeing the gang back together

Manchester by the sea - 8/10 - thought this was excellent - funny, moving, and well written. Just felt it lacked a little something to put it in the real top contenders for an ocscar, but I wouldn't complain.

La La Land

Took my Mum and niece, yesterday, as they like musical, fantasy, romance style films and so I thought it would fit the bill.

Now, where to start with this. The opening scene bears no relation to the movie at all, other than to point out it's a musical. But is it, really. Is it anything at all? .. It's trying to be about three different things rolled into one to become a "masterpiece" but for that it needs great singing, great dancing, great script-writing and great feeling. It has none of those things and to rate it alongside the classics of "Singin' in the Rain" and the extraordinary "West Side Story" is laughable.

Don't get me wrong. The storyline is good. Some of the scenes really work and the last 20 minutes is worth seeing and easily the best part of the film. But you never feel associated with the characters. Considering there's only really Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone in it, there's no empathy with them at all, save a couple of very good scenes.

So what is it? .. It's not a family film, as there's no children cast in it. It's not a musical of any quality, due to the average singing and dreadful songs. It's not a romantic film, as there's no depth to the relationship. It's not a great cinematography classic, either. It's a messy mish-mash, designed to win a few Hollywood votes.

All in all, it's fun and reasonably enjoyable, if you don't scratch the surface. But Oscar standard? .. No way, for me.
Didn't think it was THAT bad but certainly seemed to be a victim of its own hype that I was expecting a lot more. As you say, he start was very odd and had no real connection to anything that followed.

The mark of a good musical for me is that the songs are memorable. By the time I'd driven home from the cinema I could hardly remember any of the tunes.

Life, Animated - documentary regarding Owen Suskind who, at the age of 3, developed autism and would only communicate via Disney cartoons. Very moving. Available on BBC Iplayer, I highly recommend it. 9/10

Back