• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Films you've watched recently.

Mustang - Turkish film, streamed to my laptop legally for £9. Superb, 5 care-free sisters have their lives changed forever over one summer as they get accused of "lewd behaviour". 9.5/10

Sounds a bit arthouse.

Next thing you know you will be watching bleak black and white independent films about the Balkan conflict.

Sounds a bit arthouse.

Next thing you know you will be watching bleak black and white independent films about the Balkan conflict.

Not at all, not a fan of arty farty. Very naturalistic human drama - subtitled, but don't let that put you off.

Saw Civil War while we were in the States, in IMAX, superb action movie with some good laughs and some actual emotional heft. Made BvS pale in comparison. ​9/10

Also on our flights I watched;
The Hateful Eight 8.5/10 (want to see it again in better conditions)
Zoolander 2 5/10 (oh dear)
In The Heart of the Sea 7/10 (surprisingly entertaining)

Syrupy sweet, but I have to agree.

Yup.Reason I bought it, on DVD, was because our younger daughter was holed up in Palazzo Adriano (where the film was set) for a couple of weeks,recovering from bronchities,at the beginning of a gap year.
She's too young to have seen the film when it first came out.Incidentally,she's now in Iran but has promised to be back in time for her Mum's birthday in June.
On the subjest of modern Italian films, I much prefer the Taviani brothers' Padre Padrone,which I remember seeing at The Towngate,Basidon back in the day.

Saw Orson Welles' Chimes at Midnight again yesterday.He rated it as the best of his films.

Not sure I'd go that far but I think it's still the best Shakespeare I've seen on the screen.

A few airplane films:

The Big Short - 7/10 - Pretty good

The Revenant - 7/10 - Decent, with some really good bits, but also a bit boring at times

Bridge of Spies - 6/10 - It was alright and nice enough but a bit boring overall.

Deadpool - 9/10 - Childish and stupid, but I laughed a lot and easily the best Marvel/superhero film I've seen.

Alcadesa (Mayoress).

Interesting documentary on Barcelona's new "radical" Mayoress,Ada Colau.

Worth looking out for when it gets a UK outing.

Not sure she's the real deal as a politician.Seems more like a housing activist to me.But time will tell.

Si se puede is a catchy slogan though.

Hail Caesar! - Oh dear, I was really looking forward to it but it's the very worst Coen Brothers film by a very long shot. I had to turn it off I was so bored. No score.

I love virtually everything they've done - from Blood Simple to Fargo and beyond but this was cringeworthy. I got up to the bit where Clooney is taken to the Communists house and I wanted to kick in the telly in.

I wouldn't say it's one of their finest films.Far from their worst either.My wife and I both thought it was funny.

Made me want to see Spartacus too.

Been going throught my DVD collection.

Saw the Cohen Brothers True Grit again last night.Simply wonderful film and better than Henry Hathaway's original,IMO.

Also saw Stephen Frears's The Queen again earlier tonight.Excellent film, which highlights an important part of the UK's recent political history.

Back