• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Films you've watched recently.

I never really got into the X-Men films so wasn't sure about going to see this. However, I really enjoyed it for the reasons above. It is more a road trip movie than a superhero movie and I too was quite emotional at the end. I also thought Patrick Stewart was outstanding.

Finally caught up with Hidden Figures yesterday.It's a rather pedestrian piece of filmmaking which quite rightly didn't get any Oscar recognition.

Granted the story is worthy enough but Loving is a much better made and more personal film.

The End of the Tour. Film about author David Foster Wallace starring Jason Segel & Jesse Eisenberg, I wasn't sure what to expect and I've never actually read any of Wallace's books, but it was a touching drama that deals with depression, has it's funny moments too. 8.5/10

20th Century Women

Good an honest depiction of a 15yr old growing up in the late 1970s in a house full of feminists and a hippy. It was definitely interesting with some great acting by Annette Benning & co, but I'm not sure it hung together perfectly. 7/10

Agreed, I don't much like Di Caprio BUT in this he is good, gritty.
Lots of other big stars making up the smaller roles.

I've never really thought he was that good an actor, until i saw him in two totally contrasting roles;

as Calvin Candie (Racist Slave trader) in Django Unchained - which is a superb film (possibly Tarrantino's finest)

and

as Jordan Belfort (City Trader) in Wolf of Wall Street, which is hilarious in places.

Chi-raq. Didn't really know what to expect from this other than it was a Spike Lee joint, featured John Cusack and was about the gun problems in America. I didn't realise it was going to be a musical of sorts, about women withholding sex to get the gangs to put down their guns. It was kind of bats hit crazy, and I'm not entirely sure it worked but I loved that all the dialogue was rapped, and Samuel L. Jackson was the absolute standout. Well worth a watch. 8/10

I've never really thought he was that good an actor, until i saw him in two totally contrasting roles;

as Calvin Candie (Racist Slave trader) in Django Unchained - which is a superb film (possibly Tarrantino's finest)

and

as Jordan Belfort (City Trader) in Wolf of Wall Street, which is hilarious in places.

Leo is great in Shutter Island as well.

Patriots Day - 9/10 - Brilliant, a fantastic tribute to those who worked hard to save the lives of those injured and those who worked to find and locate the bombers. Some of the scenes I doubted as I don't really remember them happening but on researching it was all accurate. Mark Wahlberg was excellent and from what I heard fought tooth and nail to get the part being a Boston boy and the incident being close to his heart. 100% worth a watch! Very touching at the end.

Saw Julius Caesar (1953)
Marlon Brando (Actor), James Mason (Actor), Joseph L. Mankiewicz

earlier (for the first time in a while). James Mason was so much better than Brando (and Guilgud too).

Split - how is M Knight Shamalamadingdong allowed to still make films? **** me sideway it's awful. 2/10

Back