• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Films you've watched recently.

Some Freaks - two outsider teenagers get it on, and then change when they go to college to fit in. Sound ****, but it's really very good and entirely watchable. 8/10

Saw Fargo again last night.Right up there with Blood Simple and Raising Arizona as among the best films the Cohen brothers have made.Wonderfully funny.

Fargo is a fantastic flick with the always superb Frances McDormand. Problem with Raising Arizona is that is has Nicolas Cage in it who for me is one of the worst actors on the planet.

Fargo is a fantastic flick with the always superb Frances McDormand. Problem with Raising Arizona is that is has Nicolas Cage in it who for me is one of the worst actors on the planet.

Yes but despite (rather than because of) him it is still an incredibly funny film.Not very often the Cohens have gone for laugh a minute stuff, rather than their usual dry/black humour.

He is a terrible actor but he'd decent in this, and some of his early films: Wild at Heart, Peggie Sue Got Married, Rumblefish etc....

Finally saw Baby Driver, it was excellent but somewhat of a let down after all the hype. Very Edgar Wright with all the jump cuts, the use of music was superb but for a film about a getaway driver the opening car chase was never bettered, and the final act felt very Tarantino to me. 8.5/10

Finally saw Baby Driver, it was excellent but somewhat of a let down after all the hype. Very Edgar Wright with all the jump cuts, the use of music was superb but for a film about a getaway driver the opening car chase was never bettered, and the final act felt very Tarantino to me. 8.5/10

As I have previously mentioned I thought it was very weak and the final John Hamm revenge scenes were awful.

Ninjago

Took my niece to see this on Wednesday. We've always wanted to experience the Rio Cinema in Burnham-on-Crouch. Fantastic place. Built in 1931 and preserved in it's original format. Just £3.00 to get in. I asked how they make things work and they say they make enough money to survive on sales of popcorn and the like. They have a policy asking people only to buy from the premises and not bring in their own stuff and everyone tends to play by the rules. They don't really advertise and when you arrive outside, it doesn't even look like it's open. Ample parking in the side streets close by. All in all, a nice experience.

So, the film itself. It didn't overly enthrall me or my mum or my niece, in truth. It's quite a decent storyline and ticks all the boxes. Happy ending, good triumphing over evil and so on.

Frankly, though, animation has probably become too clever for it's own good. The pace at the start of the film was way too chaotic and it took half an hour before you could work out what the h*** was going on. The dialogue was too pacey, as well.

It's target audience, you would think, would be boys aged between 8 and 12, but those in the cinema were restless and wandering around.

All in all, I wouldn't say a no, but be prepared that it might not get your thumbs up by the end. Some reviewers claim it's the new Toy Story series, but it really isn't anything like that level.

Maybe my attention isn't so good these days, but school holiday film options used to be better, I'm sure.

The "new" Blade Runner;- well folks for me a 6 or 7/10.
Sort of old Blade Runner + Matrix + Total Recall + Terminator mixed up and amalgamated re-hash.
As long as watchers don't have high high expectations then OK but it ain't a classic.

War for The Planet of The Apes - bit slow and ponderous and didn't make a whole lot of sense. Not entirely sure why it rates so high - ok, it looks fantastic but storyline is incredibly thin to be non-existent. 6/10

Back