• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Films you've watched recently.

Baby Driver - 6/10

Pretty stylish but also pretty boring. Was expecting more.

The Way - 8/10
Loved this, Emilio Estevez directed with Martin Sheen playing his on screen dad who walks a pilgrimage on the trail his son died on.

Churchill.

Those who like this sort of film will find it's the sort of film they like.:winking:

TBF,Brian Cox and Miranda Richardson were both excellent.

Found the idea of Churchill as a peacenic a little too revisionist for my taste.Much preferred Dunkirk.

Quiz question:-Can anyone tell me (without checking on Wiki) how D-Day came by its name (not really made clear in the film)?

I turned that one off in disgust, the portrayal of Churchill was criminal.

The portayal of Churchill was just nonsense.

Personally, (as i said) I thought Brian Cox's acting was excellent.As I also said, I though Churchill as a peacenic was a tad too revisionist for me.Whether there's any truth to the idea that he was opposed to the D-Day landings I've no idea,but I rather doubt it.

Wonder Woman - utter gumf. Not a patch on Lynda Carter.....still my fault for watching it. 4/10

Personally, (as i said) I thought Brian Cox's acting was excellent.As I also said, I though Churchill as a peacenic was a tad too revisionist for me.Whether there's any truth to the idea that he was opposed to the D-Day landings I've no idea,but I rather doubt it.
you clearly don't know your history as well as you think you do. It is well known that he favoured attacking through Italy. D day was as close as you can get to a total disaster that came good as you can get. (Later on market garden was the opposite).If the US rangers had landed at the Piece of beach they were meant to ***and/or if Hitler had released the panzer divisions in reserve we would have been wiped out. The casualties from Omaha were covered up for decades. It was known to be bad but not as bad as it really was).
*** the scene in saving private Ryan with the Bangalore torpedos is based on fact. Except that he rangers officer led by he charge and died. Without him It's acknowledged that the Americans probably would not have got off to he beach which in turn may have led to d day being a disaster

you clearly don't know your history as well as you think you do. It is well known that he favoured attacking through Italy. D day was as close as you can get to a total disaster that came good as you can get. (Later on market garden was the opposite).If the US rangers had landed at the Piece of beach they were meant to ***and/or if Hitler had released the panzer divisions in reserve we would have been wiped out. The casualties from Omaha were covered up for decades. It was known to be bad but not as bad as it really was).
*** the scene in saving private Ryan with the Bangalore torpedos is based on fact. Except that he rangers officer led by he charge and died. Without him It's acknowledged that the Americans probably would not have got off to he beach which in turn may have led to d day being a disaster

I've never claimed to be any sort of expert on WW2,thank you.It's certainly a period which I never studied academically,at "O/A" or degree level.

If you seen the film, (which I doubt), what did you think of Churchill's portrayal in it? It certainly comes across that he preferred the attacking Italy option but (as I said) I wasn't aware that he was so openly opposed to the D-Day landings (certainly compared to Eisenhower and Montgomery).Almost a peacenic in fact,certainly compared to the generals.

I've never claimed to be any sort of expert on WW2,thank you.It's certainly a period which I never studied academically,at "O/A" or degree level.

If you seen the film, (which I doubt), what did you think of Churchill's portrayal in it? It certainly comes across that he preferred the attacking Italy option but (as I said) I wasn't aware that he was so openly opposed to the D-Day landings (certainly compared to Eisenhower and Montgomery).Almost a peacenic in fact,certainly compared to the generals.
I never said you did think you were an old expert, but the fact that you were surprised that Churchill was against the idea shows that you know less than you thought you did- hence the line you highlighted is 109% accurate. Please keep up:smile:. No I haven't seen the film

Last edited:
I never said you did think you were an old expert, but the fact that you were surprised that Churchill was against the idea shows that you know less than you thought you did- hence the line you highlighted is 109% accurate. Please keep up:smile:. No I haven't seen the film

Personally, I'm much more interested in a discussion of the film Churchill, rather than WW2 tactics and strategy,especially on a thread dedicated to films.It's fairly well known that Churchill was more in favour of an attack through the soft underbelly of Italy (even I knew that,I think).

Unlike you though, I wouldn't comment on a film I haven't even seen.:angel:

Last edited:

Churchill did always want the second front that part is true, but it was the way they turned it into him being against D-Day that was the issue. They took his initial reluctance too far and painted him in a completely fictional way. As you say far too revisionist.

Transformers the Last KNight or something 4/10

Same as all the others, robots fighting other robots, not really sure why. Kids like it though.

Personally, I'm much more interested in a discussion of the film Churchill, rather than WW2 tactics and strategy,especially on a thread dedicated to films.It's fairly well known that Churchill was more in favour of an attack through the soft underbelly of Italy (even I knew that,I think).

Unlike you though, I wouldn't comment on a film I haven't even seen.:angel:
you are right if course, for you would never duvert a thread to make it all about you, never never never

Saw Adam's Rib again yesterday for the first time in ages.It's the funny,clever George Cukor Comdey with Spencer Tracey and Katherine Hepburn that I picked up cheaply on DVD (doesn't anybody buy DVD's any more?) at the Wallender cinema museum in Ystad recently.Simply wonderful film.

Saw Adam's Rib again yesterday for the first time in ages.It's the funny,clever George Cukor Comdey with Spencer Tracey and Katherine Hepburn that I picked up cheaply on DVD (doesn't anybody buy DVD's any more?) at the Wallender cinema museum in Ystad recently.Simply wonderful film.

Nope. All streaming.

Back