• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Films you've watched recently.

Harry Styles has a much bigger part than I expected. I think they've just given him that part to attract one direction fans in. But to be fair he wasn't bad as an actor.

Nolan only found out who Styles was when his daughter visited the set, by all accounts.

In fairness rescueing 100,000 French soldiers to move them up the coast to be surrounded and taken prisoner could with hindsight be construed as not very clever
And not very clever of the French that were rescued in that 90% of them subsequently decided that the war was lost and that they were not going to fight on and opted for repatriation to neutral countries or Vichy France areas.
Not called "cheese eating surrender monkeys" for no reason.:winking:

And not very clever of the French that were rescued in that 90% of them subsequently decided that the war was lost and that they were not going to fight on and opted for repatriation to neutral countries or Vichy France areas.
Not called "cheese eating surrender monkeys" for no reason.:winking:

And a lot of French people fought heroically in the resistance,There a museum which pays tribute to their courage in Toulouse,which I recommend if you're ever there.

The prison in Lyon where Klaus Barbie of the Gestapo "interrogated" resistance fighters is also worth a visit too.

And a lot of French people fought heroically in the resistance,There a museum which pays tribute to their courage in Toulouse,which I recommend if you're ever there.

The prison in Lyon where Klaus Barbie of the Gestapo "interrogated" resistance fighters is also worth a visit too.

Reply deleted, off topic

Last edited:
The resistance took a few years to get going, appeasement being the main policy; and by that time the FRENCH police had done lots of Jew rounding up and dispatching of their own accord. And where you aware that more French soldiers died fighting FOR Germany than against, or that Vichy France bombed Gibraltor or that Vichy France state of Syria had to be invaded as they wanted German planes etc to be based there as part of the Axis Middle East campaign. French history and knowledge of what happened 1940-42 is very well hidden................by the French.
If your interested I got some of this info first hand from a French friend's father who was wounded on D'Day.....defending the Atlantic Wall, he explained lots of this stuff to help his son and others know the reality of what happened with many, not the "romantic" hero stuff which is, rightly applauded and is so because it was by, and large exceptional.

A friend married a French girl whos grandfather was in the resistence. Met him once and spent a fantastic evening with him. Mentioned that my own father only had respect for the resistence and absolutely none for De Gulle. He wholeheartedly agreed and raised a glass in salute to the traitor of France. I liked him immensly.

Come on lads, this thread was one of the few decent ones remaining on here. Let's get back to films, eh?

The missus took our son to see Despicable Me 3 today, and they both said it was great.

The Carer - Brian Cox (no, not him) plays a grump luvvie with Parkinsons who gets a new young, pretty Shakespeare quoting live in carer. S'alright, could have done with being longer. 7/10

Les Bleus
20 years of the French football team and how its issues have been mirrored in French politics, very interesting if you don't mind subtitles or if you speak French.

Sofia Coppola's remake of The beguiled.Sensitive and well acted but I think I prefer Don Seigel's original with Clint Eastwood which,IMO,conveyed the eroticsm and sexual tension of the story better.It was certainly much more gothic.

Sofia Coppola's remake of The beguiled.Sensitive and well acted but I think I prefer Don Seigel's original with Clint Eastwood which,IMO,conveyed the eroticsm and sexual tension of the story better.It was certainly much more gothic.

Paedophilia was far more acceptable at the time.

Saw Dunkirk the other night. Little disappointed, as others have said the beach scenes were far to clean and orderly. Dunkirk was smashed to bits with over 1000 civilians killed out of only 3,000 that remained. The beach was utter carnage.

Interestingly the small boats used in the film were actually original ones that made the journey in 1940. They accounted for the highest loss rate out of all class of ships and boats etc. I believe they lost about 170 out of 311.

Enjoyed watching Ride the High Country again.Blues exile was quite right, it was Joel McCrea who has the classic line "All I want is to enter my house justified" and not Randolph Scott as I said.:Worthy:

Had forgotten that the opening scene foreshadows the coda in The Wild Bunch and also that Sam Peckinpah's habitual camerman Lucian Ballard was involved plus Warren Oates, in what was SP's first film.

Saw Dunkirk the other night. Little disappointed, as others have said the beach scenes were far to clean and orderly. Dunkirk was smashed to bits with over 1000 civilians killed out of only 3,000 that remained. The beach was utter carnage.

Interestingly the small boats used in the film were actually original ones that made the journey in 1940. They accounted for the highest loss rate out of all class of ships and boats etc. I believe they lost about 170 out of 311.

Sounds like you might be reading the Dunkirk book atm.Any good?

Sounds like you might be reading the Dunkirk book atm.Any good?

Nope, not yet. I am due to read one when my friend finishes it but its more about the forgotten heroes of Dunkirk, the one who fought the regard action and on the perimeter. They stopped the Germans reaching the beach and most were wiped out or captured at the end. Many of them were French.

I have read up about the small boats in the past as the famous Osbourne sea food family of Leigh went in one of their fishing boats. Unfortunately they were killed when they hit a mine.

I did have 2 uncles who survived Dunkirk. One was a war buff the other would never speak about it. He would even switch off the TV if an old black and white war film came on.

The Hitman's Bodyguard - both Ryan Reynolds and Samuel L Jackson are laugh out loud funny. Lots of action too, really enjoyed it.

Back