• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Rayleigh boy

Director⭐
I think having Moussa and Grant on the pitch showed how the future at Roots
Hall now definately belongs to a new generation and that Mr Mahers departure was essential to allow room for new faces -

I am not sure what sort of average age League One teams boast but having Walker (20) and Kanu Robson (19) up front with Moussa (19) and
Grant (21) on the pitch means that players like Bailey (24) are experienced
old hands while Francis (23) and Mulgrew (22) should be capable of taking full responsibility and carry the old men like Clarke (26) and the pensioners of Barratt, Gower, Flavs and Black

Brilliant !! -

I wonder how we compares to other teams aveage age ..

Hall now definately belongs to a new generation and that Mr Mahers departure was essential to allow room for new faces -

I am not sure what sort of average age League One teams boast but having Walker (20) and Kanu Robson (19) up front with Moussa (19) and
old hands while Francis (23) and Mulgrew (22) should be capable of taking full responsibility and carry the old men like Clarke (26) and the pensioners of Barratt, Gower, Flavs and Black

Brilliant !! -

yeh that would be intresting to see, im sure we have a very young team compared to other teams in teh league, it looks good for the future if we can keep the players and make loan deals into permanents

Mulgrew

Brilliant !! -

Mulgrew is only 21

If you don't get up this year, you'll certainly be a force next season with the calibre of youngsters in your squad.

For comparison purposes: Morris (24), Purches (28), Palmer (21), Saah (23), Mkindawire (24), Melligan (26), Chambers (27), Thornton (24), Demetriou (20), Boyd (25), Ibhere (25). So about 24 for our first XI. Imagine that we're a touch younger than most too (well, younger than Luton, anyway...!)

For comparison purposes: Morris (24), Purches (28), Palmer (21), Saah (23), Mkindawire (24), Melligan (26), Chambers (27), Thornton (24), Demetriou (20), Boyd (25), Ibhere (25). So about 24 for our first XI. Imagine that we're a touch younger than most too (well, younger than Luton, anyway...!)

Not hard when Luton goes something like:

Somebody (twenty something), Somebody (twenty something), Somebody (twenty something), Somebody (twenty something), Somebody (twenty something), Somebody (twenty something), Somebody (twenty something), Somebody (twenty something), Somebody (twenty something), Somebody (twenty something), Furlong (597)

Not hard when Luton goes something like:

Somebody (twenty something), Somebody (twenty something), Somebody (twenty something), Perry (386), Somebody (twenty something), Currie (294), Hutchinson (1004), Somebody (twenty something), Somebody (twenty something), Peschisolido (412), Furlong (597)

You missed a few ^^^

If you don't get up this year, you'll certainly be a force next season with the calibre of youngsters in your squad.

Walker, Kanu-Robson, Grant and Mulgrew are all on loan, although Walker will sign permanently in the summer.

I'm guessing you are a Donny Rovers fan with a username like that?

Good to see so many of your players went onto better things JS:thumbsup:

Purches (28), Palmer (21), Saah (23), Mkindawire (24), Melligan (26), Chambers (27), Thornton (24), Demetriou (20), Boyd (25), Ibhere (25).

Of the non-Southend players:

Purches -went to Bournemouth then retired
Palmer - ended up non-league (Bishop's Stortford/Cambridge amongst others, retired 2017)
Saah- went to Cambridge/Torquay/Woking, retired 2017
JJ Melligan- went to Dundalk, back to Cheltenham, then non-league in Midlands. I saw him play a few years back for Hinckley. He was rubbish. He still coaches when he can be arsed to turn up.
Chambers - went to Walsall where he still plays
Thornton- went to Welsh and Irish teams, think he retired recently
Boyd - went to Hartlepool then dropped into Non League
Ibhere - played for lots of clubs, still at Cambridge

Purches (28), Palmer (21), Saah (23), Mkindawire (24), Melligan (26), Chambers (27), Thornton (24), Demetriou (20), Boyd (25), Ibhere (25).

Of the non-Southend players:

Purches -went to Bournemouth then retired
Palmer - ended up non-league (Bishop's Stortford/Cambridge amongst others, retired 2017)
Saah- went to Cambridge/Torquay/Woking, retired 2017
JJ Melligan- went to Dundalk, back to Cheltenham, then non-league in Midlands. I saw him play a few years back for Hinckley. He was rubbish. He still coaches when he can be arsed to turn up.
Chambers - went to Walsall where he still plays
Thornton- went to Welsh and Irish teams, think he retired recently
Boyd - went to Hartlepool then dropped into Non League
Ibhere - played for lots of clubs, still at Cambridge
He was always a pain in the backside when he played against us, whether for Orient or Cheltenham. As was Ibhere.

2008 eh? Blimey that was a year much like every other that has 365 days in it (ok, bar leap years).

Sorry - late to this thread.

Thought "Youth and Experience" were an act from Britain's Got Talent and were linked with Southend on Sea .....

Anyway, the point about getting a balance between the two elements is an important one. As I keep saying there are many, many seasoned experienced professionals in this league that just "throwing" youth on to the pitch so that they "develop on the job" is going to lead to a number of players being shown up as not being capable yet.

In hindsight, we have been quite "lucky" to have had the opportunity to test Lapado and Harrison and see what they are made of when we had very little to play for.

Come the start of the new season I do hope that we don't once again have young loan players from the top division taking places on the bench (or on the pitch) when we have our own youngsters to develop.

Back