• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Your favourite sending OFF?

There have been a few managers sent off at The Hall. Each and everyone is great sport. (as long as it isn't ours!)

I remember listening to that match on the radio.

I thought we actually went 3-1 up from memory, rather than being 2-2 when Mark Warren scored our third?

You're right, we went 3-1 up only to concede another almost straight away, one crazy game

Pat Scully at Bury the day we were promoted to the second tier in 1991. The guy had skipped 2 tackles but Scully wasn't going to let him get away. Awesome over the top tackle

Pat Scully at Bury the day we were promoted to the second tier in 1991. The guy had skipped 2 tackles but Scully wasn't going to let him get away. Awesome over the top tackle

haha, yeah I remember that. Nowadays they would ask for 2 red cards for that !

That one stands out for me. Ricketts then accused the fan of racially abusing him, which was never proven. Goalkeeper red cards are often the best!

And Bradford fans really got out of their pram over it too, particularly the "Boys from the Brazil" site, who posted this

"Certainly the racist Southend fans who left me threatening messages on my answerphone following the Donovan Ricketts sending off and the ructions that followed would be able to make a weekend of the trip to Bradford but never are the whole collection of football supporters represented by the thoughts and actions of a subset"

five years after the non event ...

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Bilel's sending-off when he planted his boot in the other guy's chest (a Northampton player?). Of course that one isn't up to the standard of the red card he got for lamping a Motherwell player while at Rangers.

I've got a very dim memory of during our glory days when we had Conlon and Campbell up front, both tall shaven headed lumps up top that were very difficult to tell apart, so much so that the ref ended up sending the wrong one off.

I can't remember which game or year but it was at roots hall back when we were proper *****.

Favourite sending off ? I was certainly happy to see the back of Billy Kellock all those years ago !

Favourite sending off ? I was certainly happy to see the back of Billy Kellock all those years ago !

I was thinking of that. Kellock got sent off and I believe he was told "to get his coat" by the manager and never played for us again.

My favourite was about 30 years ago at Roots Hall on a friday night when a young Warren May sprinted back towards the north bank in pursuit of a speedy striker who was about to pull the trigger on a one on one with the keeper. In a desperate bid to stop him shooting at all costs , Wozza dived full length rugby style and with outstretched arms took the striker out around his legs. It would have got a standing ovation at Twickenham , but received an early dunk in the manky bath at the home of football !!!
:Worthy::Worthy::Worthy:

My favourite has to be Neil Townsend late 70s or early 80s during some boring game which I can’t remember who we where play or what the score was. Townsend walks up to one of their players nuts him and just walks off before the ref could wave a card, their player sparked out on the half way line.

That's my favourite. It might have been Northampton or possibly rochdale ?, but it was definitely under the lights, so almost certainly a friday night.

However i remember the incident differently...

I always stood in the west stand and remember being at the south west end of it. If i was at that end we must have been attacking the massive old south bank.

Why Townsend, therefore was so far up the field i don't recall, but i do remember him being over in that corner and head butting the opposition player right in front of the lino. Instant sending off (no red card, to early for such things in THE football league!).

Townsend first played for us in the 73/74 season and then played the first game of the 78/79 season but after that disappears...

Still trying to work out which match it was though.

Back