• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is Billy Best one of the greatest 12 figures in SUFC history?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
he was undisputable the star of the team - an an expert finisher - who seemed to save his goal for in front off the north bank -

he was the player who gave you the edge cos if you could get him in he would bury it ... no-one could understand why he was let go.

i went to both the brentwood and kings lyn games and they turned into turkey shoots -
but in those days non-league teams were often quite amateur- ish and i don't recall either game being much fun ..

the memory plays tricks but was it Garner and Best and Terry Johnson - and did a kiddie from Rochford called Taylor get a few games that season ...???

My memory is that Spud tended to come on in the 2nd half of games (at home) that season & yes, Terry Johnson was on the other wing. I think it was when we signed him & Dave Elliott (from Newcastle) that things took off for us. I was only 10/11 that season, but my memory of BB was that he hardly ever missed... what a fantastic record he has for us! I was there in 2007 just above the dug-out & I caught his eye when the applause was raining on him. He gave an appreciative smile back... a bona fide legend, & dare I say... simply the best!

Last edited:
I don't think there are too many fans about who will have seen Hollis play, if they have I'd love to hear about him. What I've read about Hollis is that he was an ungainly player and far from a fans favourite.

On statistics alone, Hollis has Billy beat, with 12 more goals and a slightly superior goals per game ratio. 'Gormless Hollis' may not have looked the part, and I am reliably informed by my long-suffering Dad that he missed some real sitters, but 135 goals in seven seasons sounds pretty damn good after what we watched tonight.

For me, Billy Best is the greatest Blues player I have ever seen, a fantastic finisher, and an absolute legend.
I remember the first hat-trick against Chester a few weeks after he signed, when we suddenly realised that he was very special, and he could not stop scoring after that. His 4 goals in 5 minutes and 5 in 20 against Brentwood remains the most fantastic display of finishing I have seen.
He was still brilliant even in 69-70 and 70-71, by which time Ernie Shepherd's side had disintegrated and the team struggled in the lower reaches of Div 4, and in the promotion year of 71-72, he played as a withdrawn striker, behind Bill Garner, but I believe still got 17 goals.
Best and Gary Moore, (in Moore's best season of 68-69) and then Best and Garner were easily the best striking partnerships we have had, but it is Best who will always be my Blues hero.
His 9 hat-tricks remain a Blues record and I saw at least 5 of them!

Like his namesake George ...there was only One Billy Best and his inclusion in the hall of fame is a no brainer.

As they say on X Factor - "One million per cent yes" to Billy Best being in the SUFC Hall of Fame.

I was 11 when BB joined SUFC. I was at the F.A. Cup games against Kings Lynn and Brentwood.

I wonder if I would have become such a fan if it was not for Billy Best and his goals?

And, in the words of Ron Martin, can I ask the one person who voted against to explain why?

As a 11 year old Billy was my hero, remember getting his autograph in my little book and Billy smiling at me and asking what position I played in, players don’t release how stopping to give a simple autograph to a kid can make a fan for life, years later bumped into Paul Clark during our 1990s promotion and asked for a autograph he looked at me as though I was dirt and walked off! Never thought about him the same.
Remember getting excited when getting my usual football magazine and found an article comparing Billy and George Bests lifestyles, that went straight on the bedroom wall,
43 years later just thinking about those matches Billy played in still brings a shiver down my spine, if you read this Billy thanks for giving so many and especially 1 little boy so much pleasure.
yes to me you were GOD, and always will be

Good first post mate and welcome to the board. Good to hear your memories of my all time Blues hero.

Could I suggest one thing, change your username to Billy Best is God. (Still). :)

Back