• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Also gone a bit retro. Just finished The Odessa File.

A friend recommended Frederick Forsyth and suggested I start with that one. Up until I opened the book I always thought it was about Russia. I think it was the first line of the foreword that put me straight!

Now onto The Day of the Jackal, and have The Fourth Protocol lined up!

Finished Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! where Bob Stanley firmly displays his musical tendencies, I've begun Guts by Roddy Doyle.

I have whizzed forward in time to 2007 with Alex Gray's "The Riverman" - featuring Glasgae's very own DCI Lorimar - this is #4 in the series & features the death of a dodgy accountant - a bit too close to home for me!

Finished Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! where Bob Stanley firmly displays his musical tendencies, I've begun Guts by Roddy Doyle.

The latter is next up for me once I have finished re-reading Roule Britannia by William Fotheringham (a history of British cyclists in the Tour de France)

The latter is next up for me once I have finished re-reading Roule Britannia by William Fotheringham (a history of British cyclists in the Tour de France)

See if you can pick up on the oh so subtle clues on who Bob Stanley doesn't like.... :smile:

See if you can pick up on the oh so subtle clues on who Bob Stanley doesn't like.... :smile:

former
ˈfɔːmə/

denoting the first or first mentioned of two people or things.
"I take the former view"
synonyms: first-mentioned

latter
ˈlatə/

denoting the second or second mentioned of two people or things.
"the Russians could advance into either Germany or Austria—they chose the latter option"

You wally :smile:

That Bob Stanley book is on my 'to-read' list though!

I'm reading HHhH at the moment; it's about an attempted assasination on Reinardt Heydrich, the head of the Gestapo and Himmler's right hand man. Written from the viewpoint of a fanatic on the subject, so it's a very different style of writing. Very interesting though.

I'm reading HHhH at the moment; it's about an attempted assasination on Reinardt Heydrich, the head of the Gestapo and Himmler's right hand man. Written from the viewpoint of a fanatic on the subject, so it's a very different style of writing. Very interesting though.

Attempted assassination? So it's not about the actual one that took place in Prague? Operation Anthropoid IIRC correctly and I'm nt going to cheat by looking online...

Yeah, it's about Anthropoid - I didn't want to ruin it for those not familiar with the story, although in hindsight anyone that does read, is likely to have an interest, and therefore know anyway. :blush:

Yeah, it's about Anthropoid - I didn't want to ruin it for those not familiar with the story, although in hindsight anyone that does read, is likely to have an interest, and therefore know anyway. :blush:

And now I've ruined it instead. :blush:

Got really in to that episode when my wife and I went to Prague a few years ago; there is a fascinating museum dedicated to it.

Back