• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

American Heiress: The Kidnapping, Crimes and Trial of Patty Hearst
by Jeffrey Toobin

Good read.Always had a soft spot for the counter-culture.Remember seeing Joan Fonda at Glide church in SF back in the early 70's, ( both she and the church are mentioned a few times in the text).

Last edited:
Been meaning to get round to that, loved the last two of his that I read.

It's a great read. Far more about the perils of agents and their influence than the actual culture of youth development in the pro game. I genuinely think Calvin set out to write an equivalent of his last two books but discovered during the research phase that the real story lied slightly adjacent to it.

Currently catching up on a few I've missed. Reading Das Reboot at the moment, then onto Forever Young and the Cruyff autobiog.

It's a great read. Far more about the perils of agents and their influence than the actual culture of youth development in the pro game. I genuinely think Calvin set out to write an equivalent of his last two books but discovered during the research phase that the real story lied slightly adjacent to it.

Currently catching up on a few I've missed. Reading Das Reboot at the moment, then onto Forever Young and the Cruyff autobiog.

Recommend this.I've got his autograph in my copy.

Richard Seymour's Corbyn;The Strange Rebirth of Radical Politics.Interesting read but for a book first published in 2016, it badly needs a second edition with details of JC's second leadership election and this year's general election.

Just started 'Going to sea in a sieve' by Danny Baker. Top stuff - his sense of humour is tuned in to mine, he paints a true to life but comic picture, and I like his language use. Further, his 'dry' approach means there are no exclamation marks and the stories are real - now, that is the way to write a book thank you:smile:

I'll just tap out a para that had me laughing out loud last night (Danny was describing things at his secondary school):

"One term an enormous Nigerian kid arrived called John Abinooji. He was built like an ox and soon took to terrorizing even the school's top fighters for their dinner money, until one day, as he walked between the woodwork and metalwork buildings, he was ambushed by them all at once. I watched as he received the most ferocious beating, blood pouring from his face, and yet he refused to go down. Eventually he was smashed over the head with a hard wooden box and collapsed to the ground amid a frenzy of lashing boots. An ambulance arrived shortly after and the still-dazed African was wrapped in a bloodied orange blanket. He never returned to the school again;not from any lingering trauma, but because on being admitted to hospital it was found that he was actually twenty-two years old."

Now, out of the brutality of all that, if you don't end up with at least a smile then check your pulse.

Just started Refugee Tales 2".
Modelled on Chaucer's Canterbury Tales "the second volume of Refugee Tales sets out to communicate the experiences of those who,having sought asylum in the UK,find themselves indefinitly detained."

Wonderful read.

Blimey I will have to read this new edition

Moby Dick a crossing dressing whale, so my kind of holiday read:happy:

Wahey!

I read 'In The Heart Of The Sea' a few years ago, which is the true story, based on the sinking of the whaling ship Essex, that helped to inspire Herman Melville to write Moby Dick.

ITHOTS is one of my all-time favourite books - in fact I stumbled across it the other day while tidying the spare room, had a quick flick through and was hooked* again. Moby Dick is not panning out that way.

*Pun not intended, but I'm keeping it here.

been reading England, England by Julian Barnes.
I work on a project about England at work so it seemed suitable.
Not doing much for me so far, but I don't understand a lot of the words he uses.

Just bought Starship Troopers so I'm looking forward to that

Back