• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cracking performance from Graeme Douglas at The Farmers Arms in Penzance last night. As well as the Kursaals and Hot Rods classics and his later solo material, he paid tribute to a great soul singer (Stevie Marriott) with a stonking rendition of 'All Or Nothing.' Graeme really enjoyed the gig too, though I think the highlight of his evening was me introducing him to another Southend High old boy, Grumpy Blue.

Attachments

• Graeme Douglas.jpg
    Graeme Douglas.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 7
Cracking performance from Graeme Douglas at The Farmers Arms in Penzance last night. As well as the Kursaals and Hot Rods classics and his later solo material, he paid tribute to a great soul singer (Stevie Marriott) with a stonking rendition of 'All Or Nothing.' Graeme really enjoyed the gig too, though I think the highlight of his evening was me introducing him to another Southend High old boy, Grumpy Blue.

That would have been anybody`s highlight :winking:

Graham Parker and Brinsley Schwarz at the Sala Razzmatazz 3.

Great show-less than two hundred there, in a small venue with great sound.

Last saw GP at Blackbushe in '78.Some people just get better with age.

Last edited:
Kate Bush - I haven't seen one negative comment about this show, which probably reflects the good will towards her rather than the reality. I suspected that nothing can be that good and that's how it was. I won't offer any spoilers as I know at least one of you is going. However, after the ecstatic first thirty minutes or so it was clear that it wasn't going to be seamless. There are sublime moments and there are eye-wateringly bad sections. I'll leave it at that for now but look forward to comparing notes.

Kate Bush - I haven't seen one negative comment about this show, which probably reflects the good will towards her rather than the reality. I suspected that nothing can be that good and that's how it was. I won't offer any spoilers as I know at least one of you is going. However, after the ecstatic first thirty minutes or so it was clear that it wasn't going to be seamless. There are sublime moments and there are eye-wateringly bad sections. I'll leave it at that for now but look forward to comparing notes.

I PM'd Pubey (who went last weekend) and he raved about it. Perhaps you just unfortunately caught a bad night?

I PM'd Pubey (who went last weekend) and he raved about it. Perhaps you just unfortunately caught a bad night?

I don't think it was that. They were filming it last night, there was much to like and I wasn't a tourist. I bought her records from the first single and she played a lot of what I'd hoped to hear. There are elements, one in particular, that more than broke the spell for me. I know that sounds cryptic but I don't want to pre-empt your response. I'll be interested to hear what you make of it.

Hmmm...Manics playing The Holy Bible in entirety....hopefully be like when they played Postcards a few years back and did a greatest hits set after....that was a great gig..... tempted....

Peter Hook and the Light on Thursday playing the Brotherhood and Lowlife albums. He also did his own support playing some Joy Division tracks. The first time I saw him was at the rather smelly Cockpit in Leeds, which I guess had a capacity of 300 maximum. The Ritz holds 1500 and was pretty much full. I really enjoyed the gig as both albums contain some great songs, the highlight for me was the instrumental Elegia.

I know Hook has been criticised by his old band mates, but if enjoys playing them, and people want to hear the songs live then why not go on the road to perform them. At least he was in the band when they were written.

After a few songs, Hook stopped the concert, pointed to someone in the crowd to have them ejected, saying I knew you'd be here. I couldn't see who it was, but it was a strange thing to do.

Anyway, if you like Joy Division/New Order, it is well worth the entrance fee.

I don't think it was that. They were filming it last night, there was much to like and I wasn't a tourist. I bought her records from the first single and she played a lot of what I'd hoped to hear. There are elements, one in particular, that more than broke the spell for me. I know that sounds cryptic but I don't want to pre-empt your response. I'll be interested to hear what you make of it.

I thought Kate Bush was amazing - definitely the first half anyway. Hounds of Love is one of my favourite albums. The second - I don't really know Aerial, but even that had some fantastic moments (the Spanish sounding song), but she could of done a few more familiar tracks - there was so much missing from her back catalogue sadly.

Not sure what you meant about "breaking the spell."

First half 10/10 second 6/10

I thought Kate Bush was amazing - definitely the first half anyway. Hounds of Love is one of my favourite albums. The second - I don't really know Aerial, but even that had some fantastic moments (the Spanish sounding song), but she could of done a few more familiar tracks - there was so much missing from her back catalogue sadly.

Not sure what you meant about "breaking the spell."

First half 10/10 second 6/10

I agree with you on much of that. I really like Aerial but it meandered a bit at times. I found some of the amateur dramatics quite clunky and thought her son was over-used. His solo number was excruciating. Also, the uncritical standing ovations after every song were irritating. My daughter, like you, was disappointed by the ommissions. I wasn't. I thought the choice of tracks was great.

I'm in the minority, though, as everyone else seems to think it was flawless. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I agree with you on much of that. I really like Aerial but it meandered a bit at times. I found some of the amateur dramatics quite clunky and thought her son was over-used. His solo number was excruciating. Also, the uncritical standing ovations after every song were irritating. My daughter, like you, was disappointed by the ommissions. I wasn't. I thought the choice of tracks was great.

I'm in the minority, though, as everyone else seems to think it was flawless. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Odd. We never got Bertie's solo - he "acted" but no solo singing. Must have removed it.

Just back from seeing The Boxer Rebellion at Gorilla in Manchester. Bit of luck this - I'm staying overnight in the city as I have an early morning meeting and was faced with an evening alone down the pub watching Liverpool lose. Which is not bad in itself, but when I saw The Boxers - with Southend's very own Piers Hewitt on drums - were playing 500 yards from my hotel I had to go!

Really enjoyable gig - not sure how you'd categorise it, but certainly felt very anthemic. Check them out if they're playing near you, this was the first night of their latest UK tour.

Last edited:
British Sea Power playing with a brass band at The Barbican. Set looked brilliant as we took our seats, anticipation was rising and then....massive power outage in London. No gig!

British Sea Power playing with a brass band at The Barbican. Set looked brilliant as we took our seats, anticipation was rising and then....massive power outage in London. No gig!
Commiserations - you'd think they could get out some candles and Accoustic guitars and do it unplugged. The brass band wouldn't need electric. Considering their name a bit of Dunkirk spirit could have partially saved the night.

Back