• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

After three year absence, music was is back at Jodrell Bank last weekend. The last time I went it was a one day affair with just four bands, now it is a full on three day multi media event. I chose the Saturday to see Air, DJ Shadow and Jean-Michel Jarre.

I got to see Beth Orton, the weird teenage duo Let's Eat Grandma, the US psychedelic group Moon Duo, Air and Jean-Michel Jarre. Unfortunately I couldn't get into the Orbit tent to see DJ Shadow.

For some pics click here

I have been out in Kingston to see a friend of a friend's band who covered Sisters of Mercy songs and called themselves Misters of Sercy and every band member was the opposite gender of the original. They changed the song Alice to one called Alan which was a nice touch. I cornered the singer afterwards and said they should do a cover of the Sisters cover of 'Jolene' because the Sisters cover was ironic in that Andrew Eldritch sang 'I'm begging of you please don't take my man' so the double flip of Andrea (I'm assuming her stage name) singing that from a female-male-female angle will create some kind of post irony irony that will be the musical equivalent of voting for Hilary Clinton.

Anyway, they sounded like the Sisters of Mercy live bootleg cassettes I used to buy in 1987 and who doesn't want to be reminded of that?

Last week I caught Lloyd Cole and the Leopards at the Picturedrome on Holmfirth. I have his first two albums, and as I recognised most of the songs played, I guess the majority the set was taken from Rattlesnakes and Easy Pieces.

If you like mid eighties jangly guitar based pop, then Lloyd Cole is your man.

Last edited:
On Saturday I saw Peter Hook (Ex Joy Division/New Order bassist) and the Light at the Forum Kentish town . Playlist was the 'Sunstance Albums' from both bands . Absolutely brillant , although feel quite battered from being at the front in the thick of things

Review from previous night here
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.../review-peter-hook-manchester-apollo-11900745

I have seen him twice, doing Unknown Pleasures at the now defunct Cockpit in Leeds and Low-Life and Brotherhood at the Ritz in Manchester. Both shows were very good.

Also get there on time, as they normally do a Joy Division mini set, followed by a New Order set.

I have seen him twice, doing Unknown Pleasures at the now defunct Cockpit in Leeds and Low-Life and Brotherhood at the Ritz in Manchester. Both shows were very good.

Also get there on time, as they normally do a Joy Division mini set, followed by a New Order set.

I saw him in Southend last year when they did Low life and Brotherhood and as you say ,as the 'support act' they played Joy Division.
This time Arthur Baker did a DJ set . then they came on to do Substance New Order and finally Substance Joy Division- 32 songs :smile:

ps- his third book - (inside New Order is out in a couple of weeks, book signing at FOPP Covent Garden 13th October)

I saw him in Southend last year when they did Low life and Brotherhood and as you say ,as the 'support act' they played Joy Division.
This time Arthur Baker did a DJ set . then they came on to do Substance New Order and finally Substance Joy Division- 32 songs :smile:

ps- his third book - (inside New Order is out in a couple of weeks, book signing at FOPP Covent Garden 13th October)

He is playing near me next March so I may purchase a ticket.

He is also doing a session on his book at the Ilkley Literature Festival.

Going to head down this Sunday to see Sam Duckworth - probably better known as local lad Get Cape, Wear Cape, Fly, who is performing his debut album ' Diaries of a Bohemian teenager' in its entirety. He's performing on the end of Southend Pier in that posh new pavilion thingy - looking forward to it.

Bunch of robots stood on stage while backing tracks are playing?! No thanks, I'll stick with the records.
Potentially. The show requires 3D glasses so should have a bit of something about it. I'll criticise it after I've seen it, was worth the risk for me (I went for cheap seats as there is no bad view in the Royal Albert Hall).

Adam Ant playing the Cliffs btw

Back