• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Blondie at Brighton last week. Brilliant. Is Debbie Harry really 72? And for you architecture lovers the Brighton Centre, probably the ugliest building in western Europe if it weren't for the Odeon right next to it are due for demolition. Great. Some Southend councillors should have a day trip to Brighton to see their regeneration and the Lanes and get a few ideas before the revamped High Street looks like Basildon which is highly likely.
I was thinking of hetting tickets to see them, but to be honest I saw them on jools Holland and something else and thought that Debbie sounded , shall we say significantly past her best, without the energy and swagger. I really wanted to be impressed ( I still have a copy of parallel lines as did every 15 year old ��) but I wasn’t. Maybe if I was there and with a couple of beers it would make all the difference.

So, The Icicle Works...

Thanks to a random free CD I got with Q or Vox way back in the day, I own one Ian McNabb track - "You Must Be Prepared To Dream". I really like it, but I've not dug in any further. Got any recommendations?

I have the first two IW albums, both are pretty good.

I also have his first two solo albums as well. The first one, Truth and Beauty is very good IMO.

Deep Purple - Manchester Arena

I have to say I was a bit disappointed with the gig. With Purple describing it as the Long Goodbye Tour, I was hoping for all the classics. Instead the set seemed to consist of songs from their later albums. Certainly I only recognised Fireball before they performed Perfect Strangers towards the end of the set. They finished with the obligatory Smoke on the Water, before returning for a fantastic encore of Hush and Black Night.

For pics from the gig click here

The Human League are playing The Cliffs Pavilion.

I wonder if new material will be kept to a minimum?

Well said MC - Everyone just wants to hear the hits Oakey.
We are booking tomorrow . We saw them at the cliffs earlier this year and it was utterly brilliant ( and I’m not easily impressed). They kicked off with “being boiled “ With just Oakley on stage and it was Brillant like watching us win 5-0 at home brilliant. Adding to that midge ure and Electronica are support playing ultravox. �� wow just wow. One southend supporting old git is goiing to be very happy: did I mention I am excited ��

Martin Stephenson & The Daintees - The Wardrobe, Leeds

On Thursday I popped along to The Wardrobe in Leeds to see a favourite band of mine from the mid eighties. Certainly, their debut album, Boat to Bolivia, spent a lot of time on my turntable in 1986.

I have to admit that I'd forgotten just how good the songs were from that album, and it was great to hear them live for the first time. The newer stuff was pretty good as well.

The highlight of the evening was a stunning version of the hauntingly beautiful Rain, with the audience singing along in tune and at just the volume.

If you don't know anything about MS&TD, checkout this clip of the aforementioned song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w-Ft9pP8kM

Stephenson and his band were on top form and seemed to be thoroughly enjoying themselves, and the crowd had plenty of fun singing and bopping along to the jangly guitar-based pop.

For me, one of the gigs of the year!

ms03.jpgms06.jpgms07.jpgms08.jpgms13.jpg

For more pics from the gig, click here

Last edited:
Saw Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbott at the Watford Colosseum on Tuesday night. Absolutely fantastic - plenty from their new album of course, but loads of Housemartins and Beautiful South too. For some of the older songs, they did them in a totally different style as well - e.g. Heaton sang "Liars' Bar" in a falsetto rather than a low growl, while "A Little Time" was almost unrecognisable at first.

It was just a really joyous occasion - they fired out shiny gold confetti across the whole venue during "Good As Gold" and we also got two encores, with "Caravan Of Love" being the very final track. Nearly two hours and very little filler. If I wasn't already busy on Thursday night, I'd be trying to get a ticket for their show in Hammersmith.

Saw Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbott at the Watford Colosseum on Tuesday night. Absolutely fantastic - plenty from their new album of course, but loads of Housemartins and Beautiful South too. For some of the older songs, they did them in a totally different style as well - e.g. Heaton sang "Liars' Bar" in a falsetto rather than a low growl, while "A Little Time" was almost unrecognisable at first.

It was just a really joyous occasion
- they fired out shiny gold confetti across the whole venue during "Good As Gold" and we also got two encores, with "Caravan Of Love" being the very final track. Nearly two hours and very little filler. If I wasn't already busy on Thursday night, I'd be trying to get a ticket for their show in Hammersmith.

Saw them in Badalona about 18 months ago.They were excellent.Sounds like the same sort of gig, though obviously the new album (which I like) wasn't out then.

Back