• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tonight I saw Arcade Fire play an east end boxing club. Amazing as ever, new stuff sounds like LCD, solo Alan Vega and the Glitter Band. Always changing. Played lots of Funeral inc all the Neighbourhoods and Wake Up - that key change is still a surprise after all this time. I played that album on repeat travelling back from Grimsby having not been promoted. Actually played Reflector on repeat travelling back from Newport having watched 5 mins of a match then being given morbid news. Music sticks with you when it's been with you at particular times. Because of that Arcade Fire are mine.

I was at York Hall to see Arcade Fire on Tuesday night. Enjoyed it a lot. I reckon I sweated off a few pounds in there!

2nd gig I ever went to was the Damned at the Cliffs, 1st being Talk Talk at the same venue. Remember them like it was yesterday.

The Damned were the first punk band I ever saw live (well second after the support band, the Adverts). The gig was at the long gone Queens hotel in Westcliff (after a late switch from the Kursaal). It was shortly after they had released their first album (Damned, Damned, Damned) and they were still a bit short of material. For their encore they simply started their set again!

Tour poster

The Damned were the first punk band I ever saw live (well second after the support band, the Adverts). The gig was at the long gone Queens hotel in Westcliff (after a late switch from the Kursaal). It was shortly after they had released their first album (Damned, Damned, Damned) and they were still a bit short of material. For their encore they simply started their set again!

Tour poster
not often I wish I was a ten years older but this is one of those times

On Friday I went to the opening day of the Bluedot Festival at Jodrell Bank. This is definitely getting bigger every year in terms of attendance, and as well as live bands, there are lectures, seminars and Q & A sessions. I caught the end of Leftfield doing their soundcheck when I first got there, and they were even great in that in front of a just couple of dozen people.

I also saw the end of the Meilyr Jones set, Jane Weaver, the full Leftfield set (fabulous) and the Pixies who were very good despite us being forced in to the beer tent by the rain.

I also caught the end of Age of Glass just before I left to go back to my hotel. If anyone has seen them I'd like your opinion of them.

P1060649.jpgP1060682.jpgP1060733.jpgP1060783.jpgP1060858.jpg

For more pictures click here

Hawklords in October at Chinnerys, plus coming down for Bury at home the day before.

The Hawklords are three ex members of Hawkwind who play their own music as well as some HW classics. I have seen them twice and they are well worth the entrance fee of less than 20 quid.

I saw Wreckless Eric play last week down here in Penzance at a small venue called The Studio Bar. He was in great form. It was the best tonic I could have had as I was involved in a traumatic incident just prior to the gig. Mrs Noxious had given Eric advance notice and when he saw me from the stage, he said, "Oh there's Rob ... y'alright?", which was really sweet of him. Particular highlights were 'Reconnez Cherie', 'Several Shades Of Green' and (in the circumstances), 'Transitory Thing', during which Eric looked at me when singing the line "here today, gone tomorrow."

He also gave a great detailed description of Ian Dury's drumming style after he'd invited questions - I asked if Ian was a natural drummer - and he spoke briefly about the other members of The New Rockets, i.e. Denise Roudette and Davey Payne. This was shortly after he'd played 'Joe Meek' - another highlight - and talked about how he gets musicians to play different instruments to their regular ones when they come over to play on the recordings for his albums, which made me think of Ian's part on 'Whole Wide World' and the 1st Stiff tour.

It was a great performance and Eric is a great performer. He really liked the venue too but because there weren't many people there and the numbers have dwindled successively each time he's played PZ, he joked that his ambition was to play in front of four people in PZ next time. We think that could be at Mrs Noxious ' allotment as Eric likes the idea of playing in a shed.

[video=youtube;VxgrDZIIrB0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxgrDZIIrB0[/video]

Ive got a few coming up over October/November

Gary Numan - Cliffs Pavillion
Echobelly - Scala
Jason Isbell - London Roundhouse and then Paris.

Saw Wilko Johnson at the Albert Hall on Tuesday. Went more to see the Albert Hall than Wilko as I've seen him loads of times but I'd never visited the Albert Hall before. We were delighted to be offered an upgrade from our cheapo seats up in the gods to a prime spot in the Grand Tier (boxes). Wilko wasn't at all bad either!

I've also got a few coming up over October
Skeggy next week - includes Buzzcocks, From the Jam, Stiff Little Fingers plus local favourites Eddie & the Hot Rods & John Otway.
Electric Brixton - Strypes
100 Club - Tom Robinson Band

November is currently clear but slipping just into December-
Dingwalls - John Coghlan's Quo (if you like Quo from the early to mid 70's check them out as they are far better than the current ''end of the pier' travesty led by Francis Rossi)

Back