• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

That's an intersting question and worth a thread of its on.

Worst thing I ever heard about happened to a form (adult) student of mine and her husband in a NY 4/5 star hotel.Apparently some Chinese guy came into their room -with a keycard.Cue Montse's cry:- "Juanjo hay un Chino en neustra habitacion."

I have had people walk into my room loads of times after being given the wrong room/key card.

I have had people walk into my room loads of times after being given the wrong room/key card.

Yeah happened to me once at the Balmoral in Westcliff.Leeds lad after our game with them a few seasons back.****ed out of his head after a night at the disco.He went straight to the loo in my room..My own fault as I hadn't locked the door.:blush:

Got a few laughs when I went down for breakfast next morning from the guy's mates (in the next room to me).He came down even later,very hung over.:stunned:

Another sodding puncture. Tyre flatter than a witches tit. Been waiting for the tyre fitter for over an hour. Christ knows where he is coming from but it isn't local.

Top that with a ******** cyclist, no lights, no helmet, no hi-vis, cutting across me on Camberwell High Street and actually laughing that he almost died, its not been the best start to the day.

Top that with a ******** cyclist, no lights, no helmet, no hi-vis, cutting across me on Camberwell High Street and actually laughing that he almost died, its not been the best start to the day.

********. Gives the rest a bad name.

I am staggered with the number of people I see listening to music though headphones, no helmet, no Hi-Vis, no lights whilst cycling. They're just asking to be splattered.

Due to traffic*, I arrived at the station a little late this morning, with just minutes to spare before my train. Ran to the ticket office only to find...train cancelled.

Cheers Southern Rail and your faulty trains.

*And, admittedly, me opting for that second 'snooze' on the alarm clock

What are the worst things you have seen/heard about in a hotel?

Personally, it's probably suicides, I've seen a few of them. One guy ran a bath and slit his wrists (that was messy) & another time, a woman gassed herself by using one of those calor gas bottles and a plastic bag over her head, she was sitting bolt up right in bed when found.

Some of the larger international hotel chains, now have an app that allows you to use your mobile phone as your hotel door key. Clever in theory, but i'm just waiting to hear that someone has managed to hack it & robbed all the rooms.

Personally, it's probably suicides, I've seen a few of them. One guy ran a bath and slit his wrists (that was messy) & another time, a woman gassed herself by using one of those calor gas bottles and a plastic bag over her head, she was sitting bolt up right in bed when found.

Do you work in one? :stunned: I've stayed in plenty, the worst thing I've had is noisy *******s on hen nights or stag weekends.

Do you work in one? :stunned: I've stayed in plenty, the worst thing I've had is noisy *******s on hen nights or stag weekends.

I think that was more what we were hoping for when a dedicated 'hotel horror stories' thread was mooted. Better to keep it light!

********. Gives the rest a bad name.

I am staggered with the number of people I see listening to music though headphones, no helmet, no Hi-Vis, no lights whilst cycling. They're just asking to be splattered.

as only one of those 4 is illegal why are you staggered ?

Hi Viz is known not to work and pedestrians are not expected to wear it, Helmets are tested to a very low standard yet there is an expectation that cyclists should where it yet pedestrians don't need to , You can hear more external traffic noise with headphones on than you can in a car with the widows up and a radio on.

Usual victim blaming nonsense. The number of stories I read about people not being able to see cyclists yet go on to describe what they were wearing etc, is amazing, I thought you couldn't see them.

Its the duty of someone driving a motor vehicle to drive within the limits of their capabilities and that included vision . If someone cant see other road users then they are not driving within their capabilities.

Hi Viz is known not to work and pedestrians are not expected to wear it, Helmets are tested to a very low standard yet there is an expectation that cyclists should where it yet pedestrians don't need to , You can hear more external traffic noise with headphones on than you can in a car with the widows up and a radio on.

Usual victim blaming nonsense. The number of stories I read about people not being able to see cyclists yet go on to describe what they were wearing etc, is amazing, I thought you couldn't see them.

Its the duty of someone driving a motor vehicle to drive within the limits of their capabilities and that included vision . If someone cant see other road users then they are not driving within their capabilities.

I agree it's in relation to the car driver being aware of cyclists, but I'm talking about from a cycling perspective. I would not ride on the road without a helmet/hi vis/lights and certainly not with my IPod blaring....and it's hard to be aware of cyclists when they don't make themselves seen when it's dark when you're driving. We're not allowed out on the track unless we're covered from head to toe in bright reflective orange even in the middle of summer.

I think that was more what we were hoping for when a dedicated 'hotel horror stories' thread was mooted. Better to keep it light!

Another one was in a motel in the States where I asked for a non-smoking room, and was given one that was so yellow through nicotene that I could hardly breathe - and the carpet "squelched" :stunned:. Not to mention an over-excited and over-friendly check-in clerk (a young and not unnattractive lady :winking:) in Scranton, Penn who was absolutely enraptured over my accent and my first name....which if you know me is hardly rare. Not a good thing when you're on your Honeymoon. :hilarious:

I get what you're saying Gary, but a cyclist with no lights etc. driving at night in dark clothing? Even with lights on, they can be difficult to see until very late on. Why wouldn't you want to be as visible as possible?

In terms of earphones, I've always thought people are mad to do so - I'd want all my wits about me if cycling, particularly on the busy streets around here (Hammersmith) - but if that's what they wish to do then that's their lookout.

Another one was in a motel in the States where I asked for a non-smoking room, and was given one that was so yellow through nicotene that I could hardly breathe - and the carpet "squelched". Not to mention an over-excited and over-friendly check-in clerk (a young and not unnattractive lady :winking:) in Scranton, Penn who was absolutely enraptured over my accent and my first name....which if you know me is hardly rare. Not a good thing when you're on your Honeymoon. :hilarious:

Scranton you say?

30090956.jpg

I agree it's in relation to the car driver being aware of cyclists, but I'm talking about from a cycling perspective. I would not ride on the road without a helmet/hi vis/lights and certainly not with my IPod blaring....and it's hard to be aware of cyclists when they don't make themselves seen when it's dark when you're driving. We're not allowed out on the track unless we're covered from head to toe in bright reflective orange even in the middle of summer.

I wear a helmet , I admit, I don't wear hi viz, largely because it make p all difference , especially at night, when reflective clothing is far more effective than high viz.

Also drivers should be aware of their surroundings , all of their surroundings, not just looking for particular colours to draw their attention to other road users.
Its the responsibility any the road user to ensure that they are not a danger to others not the other way round and the more crap that gets spoke about what cyclists or pedestrian are not doing to help someone driving outside of their abilities , the more victims will get blamed.

I wear a helmet , I admit, I don't wear hi viz, largely because it make p all difference , especially at night, when reflective clothing is far more effective than high viz.

Also drivers should be aware of their surroundings , all of their surroundings, not just looking for particular colours to draw their attention to other road users.
Its the responsibility any the road user to ensure that they are not a danger to others not the other way round and the more crap that gets spoke about what cyclists or pedestrian are not doing to help someone driving outside of their abilities , the more victims will get blamed.

Ah, I wasn't really distinguishing between hi-vis and reflective. I get you now.

Essentially - everyone using the roads needs to be as considerate as possible. Where I work, there are a load of lunchtime places one side of the road and a load of offices the other. The risks that some people take crossing the road rather than waiting 30 seconds and using a crossing beggar belief.

All road users can get along if we all help each other out a bit.

I get what you're saying Gary, but a cyclist with no lights etc. driving at night in dark clothing? Even with lights on, they can be difficult to see until very late on. Why wouldn't you want to be as visible as possible?

In terms of earphones, I've always thought people are mad to do so - I'd want all my wits about me if cycling, particularly on the busy streets around here (Hammersmith) - but if that's what they wish to do then that's their lookout.

Lights is a different issue , that's a legal requirement, but there are more dark cars than cyclists in dark clothing and they are allowed out at night.

I can understand the sentiment of "Why wouldn't you want to be as visible as possible ?" but if that was the case we would all be driving bright dayglo cars and walking round in hi - viz wouldn't we ?

Ah, I wasn't really distinguishing between hi-vis and reflective. I get you now.

Essentially - everyone using the roads needs to be as considerate as possible. Where I work, there are a load of lunchtime places one side of the road and a load of offices the other. The risks that some people take crossing the road rather than waiting 30 seconds and using a crossing beggar belief.

All road users can get along if we all help each other out a bit.

Totally, my helmet is hi viz, but as it is a really expensive one and I won it, it gets worn .

My motorbikes are dark, so is my motorbike gear , and I wear earplugs under a helmet which covers my ears, there have been few, if any, problems.

On my Weekend ride , if find the biggest problems are not those who have not seen me , its those who have and then decided that I don't matter, either by passing too close, thinking they can whip out in front and overestimate the gap , or those who see me enough to hurl abuse or offer dramatically incorrect advice about how I should be using / not using the road.

You can spot the occasional one who hasn't seen you, you don't see their eyes. They don't look, not cant see you.

Back