• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Introduction

Oh yes and one other thing. As an eleven year old, seeing that I was barmy about football, my mother knitted me a blue and white bobble hat. I used to stand on the south bank, behind the goal, about twenty steps up from the wall. At that time a group of older youths occasionally used to stand behind me. When they got bored with the game their bit of 'fun' was to grap my hat and throw it away. If I ever come across the bloke who did that, I'd take great pleasure in kicking away his walking stick! :smile::winking:

Going back to that pic from 56/57, I didn't know much about that season, but having looked it up, we finished 7th despite only winning one of our first twelve matches.

The Birmingham match was preceeded by beating Liverpool, of course.

Excellent crowds in that FA Cup run and plenty of goals throughout the season, including one match at Aldershot where we were 4-3 down at Half-Time! :omg:

Going back to that pic from 56/57, I didn't know much about that season, but having looked it up, we finished 7th despite only winning one of our first twelve matches.

The Birmingham match was preceeded by beating Liverpool, of course.

Excellent crowds in that FA Cup run and plenty of goals throughout the season, including one match at Aldershot where we were 4-3 down at Half-Time! :omg:

Don't get me started on that Liverpool game (I got Jimmy Melia's autograph that day) ! :smile: (I've talked about it before) It along with a terrible 0-0 against Crystal Palace, which was the only time my father ever attended a game, were the only two occasions I ever sat in the east stand!

Sitting here with plenty of things to do...........but why do them now when you can do them later........or even better, tomorrow! Now for something VERY RARE (lucky it was rare as there was little else to recommend it!) will be interesting to see whether anyone remembers. I must have been 10 or 11 i.e. 1956/7 and it was at the end of the time we lived in Galton Road. My parents had friends in a house opposite to the junction with Chalkwell Avenue. They had a television (black & white of course) which had some mechanism for reproducing the image on a giant projecting screen.........that's not the interesting part! I remember inviting myself or getting an invite to see Southend United on television...........was it our first televised game??? It was a pre-season friendly against a non-league Essex side.........it could have been Aveley? and I don't remember whether it was BBC or ITV. I DO have the recollection it was an AWFUL game 0-0 I think. What on earth possessed them to broadcast such a non-entity of a match on a Wednesday afternoon, God only knows. Perhaps it was a kind of test for an outside sports broadcast?

Sitting here with plenty of things to do...........but why do them now when you can do them later........or even better, tomorrow! Now for something VERY RARE (lucky it was rare as there was little else to recommend it!) will be interesting to see whether anyone remembers. I must have been 10 or 11 i.e. 1956/7 and it was at the end of the time we lived in Galton Road. My parents had friends in a house opposite to the junction with Chalkwell Avenue. They had a television (black & white of course) which had some mechanism for reproducing the image on a giant projecting screen.........that's not the interesting part! I remember inviting myself or getting an invite to see Southend United on television...........was it our first televised game??? It was a pre-season friendly against a non-league Essex side.........it could have been Aveley? and I don't remember whether it was BBC or ITV. I DO have the recollection it was an AWFUL game 0-0 I think. What on earth possessed them to broadcast such a non-entity of a match on a Wednesday afternoon, God only knows. Perhaps it was a kind of test for an outside sports broadcast?

The only 0-0 friendly on a Wednesday around that time I can find is Wed 29th Oct 1958 at Bury Town. There is an Essex one that was also 0-0, 6 days earlier, but was on a Thursday. Barking v Southend Thurs 23rd Oct 1958

The only 0-0 friendly on a Wednesday around that time I can find is Wed 29th Oct 1958 at Bury Town. There is an Essex one that was also 0-0, 6 days earlier, but was on a Thursday. Barking v Southend Thurs 23rd Oct 1958

I'm pretty sure it was Barking then...............so it was Thursday and not Wednesday..........my error. I'll let myself off on my memory fail for that one! :smile: Does your source reveal that it was televised?

I recall this game. Definitely televised and definitely Barking. But I have no idea why the game took place. My recollection is that Southend won 1-0 with a goal from Jim Fryatt.

I recall this game. Definitely televised and definitely Barking. But I have no idea why the game took place. My recollection is that Southend won 1-0 with a goal from Jim Fryatt.

Thanks for the confirmation......at my age I do start worrying about differentiating fantasy from fact, when it concerns my memory! I would have thought that it must have been our first televised game.

No, was definitely 0-0 in 1958, and Fryatt joined Southend in 1960. Fryatt also never scored in a friendly for Southend according to the record books. I think time plays tricks with the memory of a few on here. Me included now and again.

That photo off Harry Threadgold brings back memories ,i used to stand behind whatever goal he was protecting and talk to him occassionally getting a smile and a word in reply. Lved that man and still believe he was one of the best keepers we ever had , a true legend in my eyes and one of my heroes along with Roy Hollis and Sam Mc Crory.

I have mentioned this before...........but not for a while. Knowing that I was keen on getting football autographs my brother, one Sunday morning, took me to a house near the centre of Southend, which I remember was painted yellow and green. It appeared to be that a number of Blues players did a bit of extra 'training' there. :winking: I did get at least one autograph (I won't say who!)...........wasn't at an age where I questioned what Southend players were doing at this house. I've never asked my brother how he knew of it. Perhaps the next time all the family are together over dinner, I'll ask him! :winking::smile:

:smile:

Given the "extra training", the house colours seem particularly appropriate!

Back