Likes Likes:  54
Page 1 of 50 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Fútbol Español

This cook is an anti-semite Uncle Leo's Avatar

Default Fútbol Español

I know there's usually a bit of chat on here about Spanish football, so I thought we'd try and have a dedicated thread for it this season.

They've just announced that the strike has been called off, so this weekend's games look set to go ahead. My boys Real Betis, fresh from signing a pikey €1.5m over two years shirt sponsorship deal, start off against Granada, aka Udinese B.

I heard about Granada, and how they had about 12 players on loan from Udinese last season. Are there no restrictions on loans in the Spanish league?

Certified Senior Citizen Tangled up in Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davidovolic View Post
    I heard about Granada, and how they had about 12 players on loan from Udinese last season. Are there no restrictions on loans in the Spanish league?
    They would have got a spanking from Espanyol last Saturday(the strike affected game)which will now be played on the 22nd January.
    Espanyol have just sold their star Argentinian striker Osvaldo to Roma for 17.5 million euros.A great return on the 5 million they paid for him 18 months ago but they'll miss his goals(20 in 44 league games).Classy player who Spurs were reputed to be interested in.
    "The British government is free to make a decision about its participation in the World Cup," he said.

But nobody has the right to insult the Russian people - who defeated Nazism and lost more than 25 million people - by comparing our country to Nazi Germany.

That goes beyond common sense."

Alexander Yakovencko.Russian Ambassador to the UK:

Barca have big defensive worries for tomorrow-Pique,Pujol and Maxwell all out.Could be a game that Villareal might win.Remember Barca went down in their first home game in La Liga last season.Rossi to score first.
    "The British government is free to make a decision about its participation in the World Cup," he said.

But nobody has the right to insult the Russian people - who defeated Nazism and lost more than 25 million people - by comparing our country to Nazi Germany.

Real Betis still bang on target for 114 points this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Leo View Post
    Real Betis still bang on target for 114 points this season.
    Is that their basketball team?

Quote Originally Posted by BarnaBlue View Post
    Is that their basketball team?
    You've got to be optimistic!

Much as it pains me to say it, Sevilla looked very sharp against Málaga last night. Haven't see Real's goals against Zaragoza yet, not sure I want to though.

You've got to be optimistic!

Much as it pains me to say it, Sevilla looked very sharp against Málaga last night. Haven't see Real's goals against Zaragoza yet, not sure I want to though.
    Sevilla have signed a very useful centre-half,Emir Spahic,who played for Montpellier for the last two seasons.Wenger looked at him more than once and must be regretting his decision not to buy.

(Don't think I've mentioned this before but the mate I go to Espanyol games with here, used to live in Seville and was married to a local girl.He was(and remains)a Betis supporter and filled me in on their status down there as the workingman's club, as opposed to the aristo's from Seville).

Sevilla have signed a very useful centre-half,Emir Spahic,who played for Montpellier for the last two seasons.Wenger looked at him more than once and must be regretting his decision not to buy.

(Don't think I've mentioned this before but the mate I go to Espanyol games with here, used to live in Seville and was married to a local girl.He was(and remains)a Betis supporter and filled me in on their status down there as the workingman's club, as opposed to the aristo's from Seville).
    This article does a good job of describing the history behind each team's support.

http://inbedwithmaradona.com/journal...eal-betis.html

By the way, I agree that Barcelona look (relatively) vulnerable tonight. Now I've said that they'll probably win 5-0.

This article does a good job of describing the history behind each team's support.

http://inbedwithmaradona.com/journal...eal-betis.html

By the way, I agree that Barcelona look (relatively) vulnerable tonight. Now I've said that they'll probably win 5-0.
    Talking of Barca, where's East Stand Barca these days?

Back on the subject of Fútbol Español, my first game in mainland Europe was at Camp Nou. I can just about remember Barca beating Sevilla 3-0 back in the autumn of '67. I was 6 and I'm sure that BarnaBlue will correct me if I'm wrong. It will be a rare treat if so.
    Saturday Night Noxious Society > http://www.mixcloud.com/rob-spooner/ < 10/10.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpero View Post
    Talking of Barca, where's East Stand Barca these days?

Back on the subject of Fútbol Español, my first game in mainland Europe was at Camp Nou. I can just about remember Barca beating Sevilla 3-0 back in the autumn of '67. I was 6 and I'm sure that BarnaBlue will correct me if I'm wrong. It will be a rare treat if so.
    No, you're quite right.What you didn't mention though was that- the then very young- Carlos(Charley)Rexach(later afull Spanish International) scored a hatrick in that game.He was number 2 to Cruyft and is now long retired ofcourse.Lives in a very nice house in Pedrables.When I mention that I saw him play, older Barca supporters here find it difficult to believe..
    (ps ESB did post about the last home game but has otherwise been very low profile-I wonder why)?

No, you're quite right.What you didn't mention though was that- the then very young- Carlos(Charley)Rexach(later afull Spanish International) scored a hatrick in that game.He was number 2 to Cruyft and is now long retired ofcourse.Lives in a very nice house in Pedrables.When I mention that I saw him play, older Barca supporters here find it difficult to believe..
    (ps ESB did post about the last home game but has otherwise been very low profile-I wonder why)?
    Quite right too. Yes, I was about to say that, but got distracted by a work call.

Interesting formation Barcelona played tonight, 3-1-3-3, with Mascherano, Busquets and Abidal in defence, but they were just as brilliant as usual and completely dominated the game. Should be a great contest between them and Real Madrid this season

Interesting formation Barcelona played tonight, 3-1-3-3, with Mascherano, Busquets and Abidal in defence, but they were just as brilliant as usual and completely dominated the game. Should be a great contest between them and Real Madrid this season
    Yes, when is the next bout?

Didn't see the game but I did see the goals.I'm sure Applelover will be on here soon with a blow by blow account.:'(