• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Uncle Leo

This cook is an anti-semite
I know there's usually a bit of chat on here about Spanish football, so I thought we'd try and have a dedicated thread for it this season.

They've just announced that the strike has been called off, so this weekend's games look set to go ahead. My boys Real Betis, fresh from signing a pikey €1.5m over two years shirt sponsorship deal, start off against Granada, aka Udinese B.

I heard about Granada, and how they had about 12 players on loan from Udinese last season. Are there no restrictions on loans in the Spanish league?

I heard about Granada, and how they had about 12 players on loan from Udinese last season. Are there no restrictions on loans in the Spanish league?

They would have got a spanking from Espanyol last Saturday(the strike affected game)which will now be played on the 22nd January.
Espanyol have just sold their star Argentinian striker Osvaldo to Roma for 17.5 million euros.A great return on the 5 million they paid for him 18 months ago but they'll miss his goals(20 in 44 league games).Classy player who Spurs were reputed to be interested in.:sad:

Bar$a have big defensive worries for tomorrow-Pique,Pujol and Maxwell all out.Could be a game that Villareal might win.Remember Bar$a went down in their first home game in La Liga last season.Rossi to score first.

Is that their basketball team?:winking:

You've got to be optimistic!

Much as it pains me to say it, Sevilla looked very sharp against Málaga last night. Haven't see Real's goals against Zaragoza yet, not sure I want to though.

You've got to be optimistic!

Much as it pains me to say it, Sevilla looked very sharp against Málaga last night. Haven't see Real's goals against Zaragoza yet, not sure I want to though.

Sevilla have signed a very useful centre-half,Emir Spahic,who played for Montpellier for the last two seasons.Wenger looked at him more than once and must be regretting his decision not to buy.:smiles:

(Don't think I've mentioned this before but the mate I go to Espanyol games with here, used to live in Seville and was married to a local girl.He was(and remains)a Betis supporter and filled me in on their status down there as the workingman's club, as opposed to the aristo's from Seville).

Sevilla have signed a very useful centre-half,Emir Spahic,who played for Montpellier for the last two seasons.Wenger looked at him more than once and must be regretting his decision not to buy.:smiles:

(Don't think I've mentioned this before but the mate I go to Espanyol games with here, used to live in Seville and was married to a local girl.He was(and remains)a Betis supporter and filled me in on their status down there as the workingman's club, as opposed to the aristo's from Seville).

This article does a good job of describing the history behind each team's support.

http://inbedwithmaradona.com/journal/2011/5/6/the-resurrection-of-real-betis.html

By the way, I agree that Barcelona look (relatively) vulnerable tonight. Now I've said that they'll probably win 5-0.

This article does a good job of describing the history behind each team's support.

http://inbedwithmaradona.com/journal/2011/5/6/the-resurrection-of-real-betis.html

By the way, I agree that Barcelona look (relatively) vulnerable tonight. Now I've said that they'll probably win 5-0.

Talking of Barca, where's East Stand Barca these days?

Back on the subject of Fútbol Español, my first game in mainland Europe was at Camp Nou. I can just about remember Barca beating Sevilla 3-0 back in the autumn of '67. I was 6 and I'm sure that BarnaBlue will correct me if I'm wrong. It will be a rare treat if so.

Talking of Barca, where's East Stand Barca these days?

Back on the subject of Fútbol Español, my first game in mainland Europe was at Camp Nou. I can just about remember Barca beating Sevilla 3-0 back in the autumn of '67. I was 6 and I'm sure that BarnaBlue will correct me if I'm wrong. It will be a rare treat if so.

No, you're quite right.What you didn't mention though was that- the then very young- Carlos(Charley)Rexach(later afull Spanish International) scored a hatrick in that game.He was number 2 to Cruyft and is now long retired ofcourse.Lives in a very nice house in Pedrables.When I mention that I saw him play, older Barca supporters here find it difficult to believe..
(ps ESB did post about the last home game but has otherwise been very low profile-I wonder why)?

No, you're quite right.What you didn't mention though was that- the then very young- Carlos(Charley)Rexach(later afull Spanish International) scored a hatrick in that game.He was number 2 to Cruyft and is now long retired ofcourse.Lives in a very nice house in Pedrables.When I mention that I saw him play, older Barca supporters here find it difficult to believe..
(ps ESB did post about the last home game but has otherwise been very low profile-I wonder why)?

Quite right too. Yes, I was about to say that, but got distracted by a work call.

:tease:

Interesting formation Barcelona played tonight, 3-1-3-3, with Mascherano, Busquets and Abidal in defence, but they were just as brilliant as usual and completely dominated the game. Should be a great contest between them and Real Madrid this season

Interesting formation Barcelona played tonight, 3-1-3-3, with Mascherano, Busquets and Abidal in defence, but they were just as brilliant as usual and completely dominated the game. Should be a great contest between them and Real Madrid this season

Yes, when is the next bout? :smiles:

Didn't see the game but I did see the goals.I'm sure Applelover will be on here soon with a blow by blow account.:'(

Saw the Mexico v Chile friendly International at Espanyol's Cornella stadium last night.There were a lot of first rate players on display (for both sides)and at times the quality of the passing was awesome.As it happens, South Americans are not too popular in Barcelona(bit like travellers with some Brits really)and there was only a 7,000+crowd in attendance.Despite a 50% reduction in price for Espanyol "socis" or season ticket holders(like me)meaning that the best seats could be had for just 15 euros there were very few Catalans there.Still that was more than made up for by the great atmosphere and friendly rivalry between the two sets of supporters.Oh,btw Mexico deservedly won 1-0.

http://youtu.be/z1nbb-C0oI0

Saw the Mexico v Chile friendly International at Espanyol's Cornella stadium last night.There were a lot of first rate players on display (for both sides)and at times the quality of the passing was awesome.As it happens, South Americans are not too popular in Barcelona(bit like travellers with some Brits really)and there was only a 7,000+crowd in attendance.Despite a 50% reduction in price for Espanyol "socis" or season ticket holders(like me)meaning that the best seats could be had for just 15 euros there were very few Catalans there.Still that was more than made up for by the great atmosphere and friendly rivalry between the two sets of supporters.Oh,btw Mexico deservedly won 1-0.

http://youtu.be/z1nbb-C0oI0

On a similar note, I went to a friendly between Spain and Colombia at the Bernabéu earlier in the year. A smart ticketing policy (pretty cheap, I'm sure we paid less than €20) made for a huge crowd, mostly made up of Madrid's South American population. The atmosphere was fantastic as the away fans were just determined to have a good time. Spain sleep-walked through the match and still managed to win 1-0.

On a similar note, I went to a friendly between Spain and Colombia at the Bernabéu earlier in the year. A smart ticketing policy (pretty cheap, I'm sure we paid less than €20) made for a huge crowd, mostly made up of Madrid's South American population. The atmosphere was fantastic as the away fans were just determined to have a good time. Spain sleep-walked through the match and still managed to win 1-0.

I saw Columbia play at the World Cup in France in '98.Great fans.

Back