• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Torquay United 0-0 Southend United

What the photo doesn't show is the Torquay player trying to drag moshni to his feet by the scruff of his neck. Possibly mitigating circumstances that saved him but systematic of how bilel was treated all afternoon. He does deserve some credit for keeping his cool under much stress in second half.

How Torquay feel they got a rough ride with the ref I am bewildered by.

Most one sided 0-0 draw I've ever seen. We battered them second half and on another day could have had 4 or 5 and that wouldn't of flattered us!

It's all about us building as much momentum as we can now heading into the play offs.

Belford 7 - Good handling in tricky conditions.

Clohessy 7 - Consistant as ever but needs to mix it up a bit with his crossing.
Phillips 9 - MOTM Solid from start to finish, had Howe in his pocket.
Barker 7 - Much better than he has been recently, maybe getting dropped has given him the kick up the arse he needed.
Gilbert 7 - Where has this Peter Gilbert been all season!? Much improved, solid in a tackle and looks like he's lost weight.

Hall 7 - Really unlucky with the free kick that hit the bar and a superb ball in for Freddy at the end.
Timlin 7 - Squandered probably our best chance and in hindsight he probably had time to take a touch.
Ferdinand 7 - Again much improved, energetic and solid all game. Could have scored a couple!
Grant 7 - What an engine this guy has one him, he just does not stop. Had he been in the side all season could be a contender for POTY.

Mohsni 8 - Won absolutely everything in the air, Harris wasn't gambling enough on them though. Had a little spat with on of their players resulting in a yellow. A few months ago he'd have been sent off after that but he kept his cool and got his head back in the game. Had a great chance to score, if only he'd taken one more touch around the keeper.
Harris 6 - As previously said he wasn't gambling enough on Bilel's flick ons, thus meaning he wasn't seeing a lot of the ball at all.

Subs
Eastwood 6 - One great chance at the death, skin of the teeth stuff and he would have scored.

What the photo doesn't show is the Torquay player trying to drag moshni to his feet by the scruff of his neck. Possibly mitigating circumstances that saved him but systematic of how bilel was treated all afternoon. He does deserve some credit for keeping his cool under much stress in second half.

How Torquay feel they got a rough ride with the ref I am bewildered by.

Sometimes you have to look at incidents without any bias though.

I wasnt there but if I were to pretend to be a neutral its totally obvious from that picture is that it was a two footed challenge that Mohsni was lucky to survive. :)

just got back from a great weekend in Torquay.
Long way to go for a 0-0 but even better that it was not a loss.

i thought we were far the better team in the second half and if only Ryan Hall's free kick had gone in, Moshni's chance and Freddy's chance right at the end.
One thing that I did note was that we have got to stop letting these teams bully us and stand up stronger to them.
I thought the ref in the first half gave us zilch but was slightly better in the 2nd.

Reading some of the views from the Torquay website, they must bloody hate us. Slightly embarrassing reading some the their views to be honest.

Had a really good long weekend staying down in Babbacombe - few beers down the seafront followed by a gentle stroll to the ground. A good performance and second half we dominated and deserved the 3 points. Should have had 2 penalties - 1 for handball and the other for a blatant push on Philips. Ref poor. Very good following - any idea of numbers? Made good noise.

A very tight game, where I thought Torquay edged the first half and us the second half. Chances at either end to nick it, a draw probably the right result. Our goal attempts especially second half looked quite reasonable, Mohsni shot saved, Timlin shot wide, Freddy late chance could not got on end of and Harris somehow clearing Grants shot ( with his head, trying to flick on) which looked goalbound.

Belford 6.5 - OK, but is rooted to his line a bit like Morris, when defenders wanting him to claim the ball.
Clohessy 7 - Good performance, got forward as usual in the second half.
Phillips 8 - MOTM, did not put a foot wrong, instrumental in the clean sheet.
Barker 6.5 - Able partner to Phillips, passing a bit off, found Yellow shirts a lot, especially first half.
Gilbert 7 - Solid and resolute, their tricky little winger taken off as had no joy, enough said.
Hall 7.5 - Usual quality on the ball, good free kick hit the bar.
Grant 7 - Solid performance, got dispossessed a couple of times, looked to carry the game.
Timlin 6 - Nice touches, just wished was a little more prominent.
Ferdinand 6.5 - Anonymous first half, much more prominent second half when we were pressing.
Mohsni 7.5 - Won everything in the air, lucky to stay on the pitch but must be commended for discipline in the second half
Harris 6 - Isolated early on, worked hard with little joy or goal threat.

Eastwood 5.5 - On briefly, chance at the end which maybe should have tried a diving header ala Mohsni at Northampton.

Play offs it is then but was encouraged by the way we tried to get the win second half, Torquay looked nothing special, would not fear playing them in the play-offs.

Thought we look very unsure on the ball, you can see an in-form Torquay passing around teams as their movement was very good. As is the norm, we got into the game more in the 2nd half, i think this is a confidence issue. We had a few midfielders walking around too much in the 1st half, then hurriedly giving the ball away when they got a pass. Amazed with the comments on the TUFC messageboard regarding the man in black, that ref would've loved to give a penalty against us, there was no doubting he weren't going to give us a pen, after that push right in front of him (and us) in Torquay's box.

Thought any of our players that looked a threat were getting abused a lot by those defunctional gobby Torquay fans. Moshni came in for loads of abuse and their players hacked and pushed away at him without getting a warning from the ref, Bilel was right up against it but still looked head and shoulders above anything they had, their full-back certainly couldn't cope with him.

They were there for the taking in the 2nd half and it was disappointing not to see Fred get on earlier. Would not like to play them in a play-off final, they look like they need a rest right now. We though, look as if a few might respond to an old-fashioned kick up the rear. We have the players, but i find our style stifles our own play and Sturrock should be doing better with the talent at his disposal.

First time on SZ since before we left for the "English Riviera" on Friday, absolutely amazed at that Torquay forum where posters seem to think the ref was biased towards us! He and his officials allowed Rene Howe to lead with his elbow then lean on our players or to back into them almost continuously - Phillips and Barker in particular had foul after foul given against them as a result until, for some reason, the ref decided well into the game to book Howe after which he behaved a bit more.

On the Mohsni incident, well, looked to me like their player elbowed him in the face - not hard admittedly - but that was why he retaliated. No excuse for him to do so though, but this is Mohsni we're talking about. At least he didn't react to their supporters' abuse of him this time.

Torquay themselves, well, nothing there to be worried about if they are in the play offs. On our day we could easily beat them....as we did earlier in the season. Their defence looked thoroughly exploitable.

Belford - 7 didn't have a lot to do, but failed to call at least twice, Clohessy and Phillips both forced into having to take things into their own hands to deal with. Fantastic time wasting!
Clohessy - 8, good, solid game from Sean. Looks so much better with Hall on the right with him though
Phillips - 7, did well though there was almost an oggy
Barker - 8, much improved and probably my MOTM
Gilbert - 7, on the evidence of the last two games, Hills won't get another start at LB. Gilbert did well....again
Mohsni - 7, my big problem with Mohsni playing in midfield is that he doesn't really look for team mates, so although he's winning headers, he's not aware of where others are to flick on to. Defensively, I thought he was fantastic
Grant - 7, typical Grant-like performance, couple of convincing falls but quite dogged in determination, could have gone on his own a couple of times
Timlin - 7, thought Timlin did ok, saw a lot of the ball and passed it around
Ferdinand - 7 , much better 2nd half than 1st, linked up better with Harris as a result
Hall - 8, looked a potent threat, unlucky not to score from free kick where he hit the bar
Harris - 7, felt for Harris, playing the lone striker role is not easy for him but he kept at it

Subs:
Freddy for Harris - 7, felt this was too late and would have preferred to have gone 2 up top at that stage to try and secure the 3 points, very unlucky not to connect with that cross right near the end which would have given us a justifiable win in my book.

I'd love to know how it is acceptable for portaloos to be the only "convenience" for away fans in this day and age - they were hideous! Still, another ground ticked off for me, and a lovely weekend as well.

Depressing stat time, points we've thrown away from being in a winning or drawing position.

Northampton - 2-2 draw after being 2-0 up. 2 points dropped.
Dagenham - 1-1 draw after being 1-0 up. 2 points dropped.
Shrewsbury - 2-1 loss after getting it back to 1-1. 1 point dropped.
Plymouth - 2-2 draw after being 2-0 up. 2 points dropped.
Accrington - 2-2 draw after being 2-1 up. 2 points dropped.

Thats 9 points. Those 9 points would put us in 2nd place on 83 points.

Thats not to mention home games against Burton, Swindon, Bradford, Rotherham and Aldershot. Away games against Crawley, Swindon, Cheltenham, Bradford, Morecambe, Aldershot and Bristol Rovers where we didn't even bother to turn up!!

If we'd performed half as well at home as we have away this season we'd already be promoted!

We have 38 points away and 36 at home. If we'd have performed half as well at home as we have away, we'd be midtable with 57 points and nothing to play for.

We have 38 points away and 36 at home. If we'd have performed half as well at home as we have away, we'd be midtable with 57 points and nothing to play for.

Half our points total for our away games and add to our home games. That would give us another 19 points. Putting us on 93 points.

Half our points total for our away games and add to our home games. That would give us another 19 points. Putting us on 93 points.

From 60 odd games though.

As for the dropped points, that happens. I'm sure there are points we've salvaged as well.

It's the lack of clean sheets that scuppered us. Championships are built on a solid defence and our defence has been pretty poor in 2012, albeit it has picked up in recent weeks since ditching Morris and being without Kalala. Third clean sheet in last four.

Our points total indicates that we have performed marginally better away from home as at home (results wise) which is unusual.

If we were to have performed better at home than we have done away (which in all honesty is normally the way) then it is likely we would have got some more points. But to be honest that is stating the bleedin obvious.....

From 60 odd games though.

As for the dropped points, that happens. I'm sure there are points we've salvaged as well.

It's the lack of clean sheets that scuppered us. Championships are built on a solid defence and our defence has been pretty poor in 2012, albeit it has picked up in recent weeks since ditching Morris and being without Kalala. Third clean sheet in last four.

I agree, and Ryan Leonard who i thought was very good til his injury.

Back