• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Going back. Who was the player loaned from Sheffield Wednesday who scored at Col U in the 80's...which helped us to promotion? He played a few and looked good.

Errrr I may be going even more mad ..or indeed madder.
Charlie Williamson is the player...yet I now doubt he played or scored at Layer Road.

Hmmm...mid-life confusion!

We had a period of getting some really quality loan players from Premiership/Championship clubs. Mulgrew, Harding, Robson-Kanu, Federici, Stanislas. The best was Dervite though, probably the best defender I've seen grace the turf of Roots Hall. Anyone know how he's doing at Villareal? Also (not from that period) Stephen Kelly, he was class and got a big move soon after.

Last edited:
Richard Jobson is the best loanee I can remember here (discounting players who ended up signing for us). Dervitte and Federici were class acts as well.

I liked Lee Hodges a lot but I wonder if that was partly down to how nice it was to see a flair player like him in that Southend team. In a better team I'm not sure that Hodges would have stood out.

Dorian Dervitte - class defender, and made Peter Clarke look good by association

Adam Federici - always thought he was a class above us, and will look forward to seeing him in the EPL next season

Charlie Mulgrew - sweet left foot, and will look forward to seeing him in the Champions League qualifiers next season (before Celtic get knocked out by some random team from Eastern Europe :winking: )

Dorian Dervite, Theo Robinson and Charlie Mulgrew for me, I also find it hard to look at Freddy as anything other than "ours".

Alan McCormack had 2 loan spells for us before signing permanently , was a cracking player at the time.

Wasn't Collymore a loan initially?

EDIT - and here comes YB to confirm that! Great timing.

Our best ever loanee is surely Stan. Thankfully he became permanently ours shortly afterwards.

On a different note, what might be interesting is an XI of loanees who looked awesome until they signed permanently.

Last edited:
Back