• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hmmmm.. Your suggestion?

Income is down because we are in an inferior league with an inferior team. We quite obviouslky do not have the money to easily improve the side.
We have obviously cut expenses to the bone.

What do YOU suggest we do???

I want answers from Ron - I want Ron to lay it on the line where we are right now!

If we are on the brink then we as fans need to know!! we then can do what we can to fund raise or do whatever it takes to keep the ship afloat but silence is not helping at all!

OK..I am no accountant.
It has been a poor week for Southend United and these are worrying figures..

However, the following set of figures are a direct result of relegation and poor performances - the responsibility of the team management.

Gate receipts down from 744K to 536K
Seasons down from 948K to 569K
Sundry income down by 115K
Incoming Transfer fees down by 780K

The following much needed figures are the direct result of prudent cost-cutting by The Chairman and Board of Directors.

Total Staff costs down by 980K
Other expenses down 290k

Overall expenses down 1.3M

I have never met RM and have no reason to dislike him. The figures show reasonable management..surely??

Me thinks you may be on a different planet...prudent management by RM ? Why do you think the wage bill reduced so sharply ? Players walking away because they weren't paid and thus not commanding a transfer fee is hardly prudent.

As for blaming Sturrock, i've never made a secret of my disklike of his style of play and my view is that he is no more than an average journeyman lower league manager but I do feel strongly that despite his shortcomings he has done a decent job with very limited resources.........I fear he cannot repeat that this season though and would not be surprised to see him leave soon.

I want answers from Ron - I want Ron to lay it on the line where we are right now!

If we are on the brink then we as fans need to know!! we then can do what we can to fund raise or do whatever it takes to keep the ship afloat but silence is not helping at all!
An answer and the truth are very different things though, you know he would spin a line so it's pointless

I'm sure if you looked at any relegated club their turnover would drastically fall. I'm not that worried by these figures, if it transpires in next years accounts that we haven't improved then I'll start to panic.

OK..I am no accountant.
It has been a poor week for Southend United and these are worrying figures..

However, the following set of figures are a direct result of relegation and poor performances - the responsibility of the team management.

Gate receipts down from 744K to 536K
Seasons down from 948K to 569K
Sundry income down by 115K
Incoming Transfer fees down by 780K

The following much needed figures are the direct result of prudent cost-cutting by The Chairman and Board of Directors.

Total Staff costs down by 980K
Other expenses down 290k

Overall expenses down 1.3M

I have never met RM and have no reason to dislike him. The figures show reasonable management..surely??

Whilst not wanting to get into the blame game its unfair to say we are where we are because of team management.

We make less money because we are are in league two thats a fact, but there are multiple reasons why we are in league two, the first and most obvious was because we were in financial difficulty before relegation. Its pretty unlikely we would be in League Two if we werent under embargo and unable to pay players for most of the season we went down.

The answers TB arethat we are skint and losing money every year, we knew that already and as depressing as the figures are they are what we expected surely?

Sadly theres little as fans we can do. Can we fund raise a million a year ? No.

The club needs owners with money willing to subsidise the club until the ground is built, thats the only solution.

The answer TB is that we are skint and losing money ever year, we knew that already.

Can we fund raise a million a year ?

Sadly theres little as fans we can do. The club needs owners with money, thats the only solution.

Little the fans can do???

Look what happened with Hull they were on the brink and they doubled there home gate!!!

Me thinks you may be on a different planet...prudent management by RM ? Why do you think the wage bill reduced so sharply ? Players walking away because they weren't paid and thus not commanding a transfer fee is hardly prudent.

As for blaming Sturrock, i've never made a secret of my disklike of his style of play and my view is that he is no more than an average journeyman lower league manager but I do feel strongly that despite his shortcomings he has done a decent job with very limited resources.........I fear he cannot repeat that this season though and would not be surprised to see him leave soon.

Where did I blame PS?? He did not get us relegated. He is not my cup of tea but is doing a job under obviously difficult circumstances.

Players not paid?
OK. How do you suggest we play players when the figures quite obviously show that we have not got enough money coming in to meet outgoings??? Borrow? (Who would lend to SUFC?) At inflated rates?

Is so easy to say pay players..which of course you should. But..if there is not enough money coming in. How?

You can only pay out what is coming in. The fall in income is a result of poor team performance..for which many people must share the blame..players, management, Chaiman and board.

I share your frustration Scott but the truth is we as fans do not have any right to know the truth any more than if our favourite sandwich shop was struggling! Whilst mny of us see supporting our team as a religion, modern methods and regulations surrounding football means that the clubs must be run as profitable businesses (hard to believe I know). With that comes a duty of all Board Directors to act in the best interests of the business.....some of you will squeal at that I am sure.....but RM and the Board have to balance doing the right thing for the club/team and keeping the business viable (hence you pay the taxman before the players etc). Now, if SUFC were in financial difficulties (!) they would not want that to be in the public domain as it would affect their credit rating and goodwill value in the community which they need to dig themselves out. This means there are really only three options....keep calm and carry on or sell the club to satisfy the debts or call in the administrators....now of the three, unless you know the bloke who just won £143m on the lottery is a lifelong fan, options 2 and 3 may well be the same option (as anyone willing to buy the club would get a better deal and some protection buying it from an administrator) so we seem to be left with option 1.....at least for the time being!!!

I understand your frustration (and mine)..but going around shouting "help, help..we are going bust" - is not the way forward.
I do not know the answer. I fear RM does not really know the answer and I fear there may not be an answer. But panic will not help.

Southend United are in a similar situation to many football clubs and by no means all at the League 2 end of the spectrum.

Where did I blame PS?? He did not get us relegated. He is not my cup of tea but is doing a job under obviously difficult circumstances.

Players not paid?
OK. How do you suggest we play players when the figures quite obviously show that we have not got enough money coming in to meet outgoings??? Borrow? (Who would lend to SUFC?) At inflated rates?

Is so easy to say pay players..which of course you should. But..if there is not enough money coming in. How?

You can only pay out what is coming in. The fall in income is a result of poor team performance..for which many people must share the blame..players, management, Chaiman and board.

As I said in my other post thats true, but the fall in performance was caused initially by financial problems in the first place. You can blame Tilson for us being in League Two, but I find it hard to do so when players werent getting paid.

The root cause of our issue is that we have owners who following the recession do not have the finances to support the club. In other circumstances we would probably get new owners, but the stadium keeps Ron Martin here whether he or we like it or not.

Somebody answer me this....

1. Are we paying rent for roots hall or is it being written off?
2. will we have to pay back for previous use?
3. How much is the rent per year if/when we pay it

I thought we were playing at roots hall rent free?

I share your frustration Scott but the truth is we as fans do not have any right to know the truth any more than if our favourite sandwich shop was struggling! Whilst mny of us see supporting our team as a religion, modern methods and regulations surrounding football means that the clubs must be run as profitable businesses (hard to believe I know). With that comes a duty of all Board Directors to act in the best interests of the business.....some of you will squeal at that I am sure.....but RM and the Board have to balance doing the right thing for the club/team and keeping the business viable (hence you pay the taxman before the players etc). Now, if SUFC were in financial difficulties (!) they would not want that to be in the public domain as it would affect their credit rating and goodwill value in the community which they need to dig themselves out. This means there are really only three options....keep calm and carry on or sell the club to satisfy the debts or call in the administrators....now of the three, unless you know the bloke who just won £143m on the lottery is a lifelong fan, options 2 and 3 may well be the same option (as anyone willing to buy the club would get a better deal and some protection buying it from an administrator) so we seem to be left with option 1.....at least for the time being!!!
err it's hardly a secret that the club and associated companies are in severe financial difficulty, all information relating to this is in the public domain already

Somebody answer me this....

1. Are we paying rent for roots hall or is it being written off?
2. will we have to pay back for previous use?
3. How much is the rent per year if/when we pay it

I thought we were playing at roots hall rent free?
1. I thought it is still technically a "debt"
2. If 1 is correct then RM can call it in anytime
3. No idea but can you see RM writing off £millions ?

I think the web of companies and deals is so complex he could actually lie to your face but be telling the truth at the same time if that makes sense.

As I said in my other post thats true, but the fall in performance was caused initially by financial problems in the first place. You can blame Tilson for us being in League Two, but I find it hard to do so when players werent getting paid.

The root cause of our issue is that we have owners who following the recession do not have the finances to support the club. In other circumstances we would probably get new owners, but the stadium keeps Ron Martin here whether he or we like it or not.

There is much truth in your comments IMO.
The situation has reached a point where it would appear there is no room for manouvre.

I am not too sure there are potential new owners out there ..with pockets deep enough and the commitment to bail us out. It makes no financial sense and as far as I know..there are few if any uber wealthy Shrimpers right now!

1. I thought it is still technically a "debt"
2. If 1 is correct then RM can call it in anytime
3. No idea but can you see RM writing off £millions ?

I think the web of companies and deals is so complex he could actually lie to your face but be telling the truth at the same time if that makes sense.

Thats my understanding of it.

That doesnt really affect anything though, even if its being deferred we are still losing money every year and thats what really matters.

Back