• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Firstly I apologise if this has been done in another post.
The pie and pint night with Roy on Friday evening was great fun and apart from the microphones not working without taking your fillings out I think everyone who attended were entertained.
There was a question and answer session and the subject of Vic Jobson was brought up.
In Roy's words, Jobson saved the club and deserves credit for it. I have my own views on Vic Jobson and indeed met him once watching a reserve game at RH against Basildon! All I can say is my experience of him was very positive. His daughter worked in the club shop and his wife helped in there to if I remember.
I remember the hostile crowds at Roots Hall regarding Jobson but it would be nice to hear a more rounded version of events from those who remember.

regards

I also heard Roy praise Vic Jobson. Poor old Vic used to get abuse on a regular basis from Blues fans, demonstrations outside and inside Roots Hall and lots of stick from fans via the local media. Compare this to the way fans seem to passively accept what Ron Martin has been up to over the years! In many ways Vic who was a true Blues fan was unlucky. He had a local council to deal with who were always hostile to his plans for a new stadium. I was never pro Jobson but compared to this current regime would take Vic's efforts in preference any day!

I always got on pretty well with Jobson on the occasion of our paths crossing, his biggest fault was he had no tact whatsoever .. its my way or the byway and the fact he upset the council on a regular basis meant he'd never have got us to a new ground whilst telling fans "its my club, if you don't like how i run it there are 91 others you can go and support instead" add in the fact that allegedly his family were all on huge salaries for the jobs they were going (wife, brother, son and daughter all on the firm) and you start to see why he was disliked

I always got on pretty well with Jobson on the occasion of our paths crossing, his biggest fault was he had no tact whatsoever .. its my way or the byway and the fact he upset the council on a regular basis meant he'd never have got us to a new ground whilst telling fans "its my club, if you don't like how i run it there are 91 others you can go and support instead" add in the fact that allegedly his family were all on huge salaries for the jobs they were going (wife, brother, son and daughter all on the firm) and you start to see why he was disliked
yep now that hit the nail on the head.

And i know that is what a few sorporters went and done.

Jobson was a complete b@st@rd! Believe me from someone within the club at the time! He makes Ron Martin look like the perfect child! Please please please do not fall into the trap of feeling all nostalgic for that awful time that Jobson was at the helm...BTW he didnt save the club...he raped it and that is why we are where we are now......

1. The Southend United Supporters Club disbanded!
2. The deed of trust upon which the ground was handed to the club by the fans ignored and ripped up!
3. The South Bank developed for Jobsons own personal profit
4. The constant non payment of local craftsmen who had helped to transform RH - followed by the unprecedented amount of winding up petitions against the club
5. Changing the clubs badge!
6. Changing the clubs nickname!
7. He was origianlly appointed by Anton Johnson - Nuff said!
8. Statements like "there are 91 other clubs that you can support if you dont like it!"

There are many many more!

Jobson was a complete b@st@rd! Believe me from someone within the club at the time! He makes Ron Martin look like the perfect child! Please please please do not fall into the trap of feeling all nostalgic for that awful time that Jobson was at the helm...BTW he didnt save the club...he raped it and that is why we are where we are now......

2. The deed of trust upon which the ground was handed to the club by the fans ignored and ripped up!
4. The constant non payment of local craftsmen who had helped to transform RH - followed by the unprecedented amount of winding up petitions against the club
8. Statements like "there are 91 other clubs that you can support if you dont like it!"

Changing the badge? that was Ron was it not?

Changing the badge? that was Ron was it not?

Nope, badge was changed by VJ (so we are led to believe) to reflect gratitude to Bates for lending the club money when he was chairman of Chelsea. Vic also kept the copyright of the changed badge.

He also wasted large sums on hopeless legal cases. Dave Webb, being interviewed on Radio after his stint as temporary manager at Chelsea, was asked if it had't been hard to work for Ken Bates? "Not at all," said DW, "You should try working for Vic Jobson".

Nope, badge was changed by VJ (so we are led to believe) to reflect gratitude to Bates for lending the club money when he was chairman of Chelsea. Vic also kept the copyright of the changed badge.

He also wasted large sums on hopeless legal cases. Dave Webb, being interviewed on Radio after his stint as temporary manager at Chelsea, was asked if it had't been hard to work for Ken Bates? "Not at all," said DW, "You should try working for Vic Jobson".

I believe Ken Bates and Robert Maxwell bailed out the club when the Supporter's Club Christmas Loan Club monies went missing whilst Anton Johnson was in charge.

Wasn't it the other way around? I thought Webby was asked how VTJ compared to Ken Bates as an employer and he said "Vic's a pussycat."

I believe Ken Bates and Robert Maxwell bailed out the club when the Supporter's Club Christmas Loan Club monies went missing whilst Anton Johnson was in charge.

That was it - thanks Ken.

Wasn't it the other way around? I thought Webby was asked how VTJ compared to Ken Bates as an employer and he said "Vic's a pussycat."

No, I actually heard the interview at the time, and the presenter was trying to dig some dirt on Bates. Not getting the answer he expected, he missed a great opportunity to get a good story or two, and just rushed on to the next question on his list.

From 'The People 101 Slickest Quips in Soccer':

"Compared to the chairman I had at Southend, Ken Bates is Mary Poppins." - David Webb, before being sacked at Chelsea by Bates.

I too never had a problem with Vic. I remember our first game in the old second division was alsothe first with seats in the West stand. Good ol ticket office sold me and my girlfriend at the time seats which were infact one of the posts in the stand. He personally took control, walked us to the directors box in the east and gave us seats there and looked after us for the game and afterwards in the bar. Could you see Ron doing that ???

I remember Jobson in one of his more subtle moments referring to our support as Nazis!:omg:

I too never had a problem with Vic. I remember our first game in the old second division was alsothe first with seats in the West stand. Good ol ticket office sold me and my girlfriend at the time seats which were infact one of the posts in the stand. He personally took control, walked us to the directors box in the east and gave us seats there and looked after us for the game and afterwards in the bar. Could you see Ron doing that ???

Actually, yes.

I used to live over the road from Vic and I have nothing but contempt for him. I say I used to live over the road, but that was before he left his wife and family to shack up with one of the Roots Hall bar staff.

He wasted millions on inwinnable court cases.
He alientated fans.
He alientated Southend Council to the point where the Tories went against all Tory principles to build Garons Park instead of allowing a private company (i.e. SUFC) build it.
He found any reason under the sun not to pay local tradesmen the full value of the work they undertook.
He managed to lose SUFC (not himself) millions when the flats were built on the old South Bank. (That was partly down to a recession, but what wasn't was the court case when he refused to pay the builder on the basis that we made a loss...or something like that.)

He paid himself 60k a year as chairman (Don't forget this was the nineties. That was a huge amount then.)
He paid himself 50k a year as a consultant (Don't forget this was the nineties. That was a huge amount then.)
He re-designed the club badge and retained the copyright so that he earnt royalties every time something with a badge was sold.
The day before he handed over control to RM he bought himself a new Jaguar, and his son (the waster rather than the clever one) a new BMW (I think it was), and put the finance through SUFC so RM had to pay it.

And that doesn't even cover what he did to me personally which I have mentioned on numerous occasions previously.

Back