• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hate to reiterate my post from a previous forum because it really gives me no pleasure whatsoever to say it,but we really do have to start this club again with the fans in control, yes it may well be impossibly difficult and probably impossible, but ask yourself can we really carry on like this? Stumbling from one crisis to another, respected businessmen jumping ship, no prospect of a new ground,no leadership.
AFC Wimbledon had their club stolen from them and had to hold public trials in a local park to create a new team,they play in the same league as us right now. Frankly I'd love to have been a part of that and Wimbledon fans I know say it has been the best thing that has happened to the THEIR club.
Its a point of view I know and shoot me down thats ok but I've been supporting this club since 1967 and I lived through the Anton years but really where are we going?

No thanks.

I want this club to survive not support a new one.

Creating a new club will still suffer the same financial pressures this one does.

No thanks.

I want this club to survive not support a new one.

Creating a new club will still suffer the same financial pressures this one does.

Would it? If we had a new club that wasn't associated with SUFC, then that wouldn't have the debt that we have right now.

Got to admit, that I don't think I could support another team in the same way I do. Also, isn't AFC Wimbledon a once off thing? Didn't they get something like 5 promotions in 9 seasons (or am I just getting confused).

Would it? If we had a new club that wasn't associated with SUFC, then that wouldn't have the debt that we have right now.

Got to admit, that I don't think I could support another team in the same way I do. Also, isn't AFC Wimbledon a once off thing? Didn't they get something like 5 promotions in 9 seasons (or am I just getting confused).

The debt we have now isnt causing problems, the amount of cash coming in is.

The debts I imagine are to be dealt with when the stadium is completed.

Even if we had no debts whatsoever now we would still be losing money and still be having the same problems.

How would a new club get a ground and be built from the ground up without incurring its own debts?

Looking at Gary locketts statement it seems quite clear. Can't see any evidence to support the world is ending.

“The role is more demanding than I first appreciated and I have had to juggle my other responsibilities.

"The Chairman, quite rightly, is very ambitious for the clubs success, as I am, and although Ron originally described the role as 24/7 I perhaps did not appreciate that that is precisely what is required and to balance my other business interests and meet the clubs needs also is simply not practical.

"Nevertheless the Chairman has invited me to remain as a non-executive director which I am very happy to do and look forward to helping him and the rest of the board advance the club, including its move to the new stadium."

I know Gary very well, in fact he introduced me to the lady who became my wife many years back and I know that he would do all he can to help Southend United as he lives and breathes the club - in my opinion the statement is nothing more than a face saver for the Club.

Gary knew full well what the role entailed as he has been on the Board and in the higher echelon at Southend for many years.

The fact that he would stand down from this role at the club he loves, worries me more than ANY other news I have heard in recent months about the Club.

Let's hope he enjoys the view back in the West Stand where he and his family always sat rather than in the Director's Box

I know Gary very well, in fact he introduced me to the lady who became my wife many years back and I know that he would do all he can to help Southend United as he lives and breathes the club - in my opinion the statement is nothing more than a face saver for the Club.

Gary knew full well what the role entailed as he has been on the Board and in the higher echelon at Southend for many years.

The fact that he would stand down from this role at the club he loves, worries me more than ANY other news I have heard in recent months about the Club.

Let's hope he enjoys the view back in the West Stand where he and his family always sat rather than in the Director's Box

You will now be shot down in flames for not having written evidence of this or a blood sample/ DNA of Gary's to say that you knew him.

Me, I thank you for adding some common sense to the doubters posts.

You will now be shot down in flames for not having written evidence of this or a blood sample/ DNA of Gary's to say that you knew him.

Me, I thank you for adding some common sense to the doubters posts.

OK I'm not stubborn enough not to accept that there are a number of influential posters on here extremely worried, if not surprised, by today's news...........and that in itself is something to be concerned about. There are one or two questions that come to mind and I'm not sure if anyone can provide answers?
Firstly, can we take any comfort in the fact that he still retains the position of non-executive director? I read somewhere, perhaps on FB, that Garry Lockett wouldn't be associated with a company that went into administration, so, in that position, what would his responsibiltites and liabilities be, if it all went pear-shaped at the club?

I read somewhere, perhaps on FB, that Garry Lockett wouldn't be associated with a company that went into administration, so, in that position, what would his responsibiltites and liabilities be, if it all went pear-shaped at the club?

Yogi, I think you'll find that was because he was a Director of a FSA regulated company at that time ie Insure & Go - though I have to admit that I am not 100% certain in that regard.

As far as I am aware, Gary no longer has that position since Insure & Go was sold.

These are worrying times for ALL Southend supporters - I wish I was still in the UK at times so that I could add my voice to supporting the Team on the pitch though I may be back for the Aldersh*t and York games.

The Team and the future of Southend United needs all the fans pulling in the same direction and forgetting all the issues like whether the Trust are any good or not, or whether fans are too lazy to seek the Trust out.

The key word is UNITED.

Interesting times. To lose one CEO is unlucky, to lose two in under a year suggests carelessness at best! I hate to say it, but I cant see a stampede of people coming forward to fill the vacancy. Board level CEO's usually expect significant remuneration, which I cant see the club being able to support -if the rumours are true, werent both TB and GL largely unpaid??

Gut feel tells me that the club is in deep do do - and when things get smelly, respectable people will distance themselves and protect their own interests as much as possible.

Nonetheless, I am sure that there are lots of things that arent made public, and arent likely to be - leaving us fans to speculate, surmise and come up with varying levels of conspiracy theory, which may or may not be based in fact.

We need to stand firm, hold our nerve and get behind PS and the team, as they will need our support more than ever if the speculation is true!

What a terrible day. First i get redundancy notice at work after 18 years employment, now this. Anyone know Samaritans number.

Someone on here ( can't remember who) slated me for being overly critical of Ron Martin. Maybe this person can see why I said this now.

Hate to reiterate my post from a previous forum because it really gives me no pleasure whatsoever to say it,but we really do have to start this club again with the fans in control, yes it may well be impossibly difficult and probably impossible, but ask yourself can we really carry on like this? Stumbling from one crisis to another, respected businessmen jumping ship, no prospect of a new ground,no leadership.
AFC Wimbledon had their club stolen from them and had to hold public trials in a local park to create a new team,they play in the same league as us right now. Frankly I'd love to have been a part of that and Wimbledon fans I know say it has been the best thing that has happened to the THEIR club.
Its a point of view I know and shoot me down thats ok but I've been supporting this club since 1967 and I lived through the Anton years but really where are we going?

Been saying the samething for the last 2 years. I think the club is into deep now and there is no new Ground in Sight. Unless we get some Arab or Russian Billionaire come and shower money at the club the club really is up **** creek without a paddle.

AFC WImbledon and now Rangers are showing the club will never die the real club is the fans. Starting again maybe in the Essex Senior League might be very painful for a few years but as AFCWimbeldon and before that Aldershot showed you can get back into the Football League and above all the club comeback run by the fans and the likes of Ron Martins of this world can never get their greedy hands on the club again.

Crikey! I am a bit bewildered by this! On Saturday I was told by three separate people close enough to the club to be somewhat informed that last Saturday could conceivably be our last ever home match! I dismissed it but now I am beginning to wonder!

Ok. The CEO leaves, and there's a HUGE anti Ron Martin response in this thread. Will someone just tell me clearly and succinctly why? Serious post. Genuine question.

Ok. The CEO leaves, and there's a HUGE anti Ron Martin response in this thread. Will someone just tell me clearly and succinctly why? Serious post. Genuine question.

No, not just the CEO, but the second CEO in 6 months and this time around, he is one who is a lifelong fan and who lives and breathes Southend United.

That, coupled with a further embargo, must surely send a message to everyone that Ron Martin is part of the problem rather than the solution.

I don't think the club will now fail meaning we need to reform a new club however I do think this spells danger. I also believe Ron has come to his time now and cannot cope with the financial losses..

the truth is we seriously need some investment

No, not just the CEO, but the second CEO in 6 months and this time around, he is one who is a lifelong fan and who lives and breathes Southend United.

That, coupled with a further embargo, must surely send a message to everyone that Ron Martin is part of the problem rather than the solution.

The CEOs could have gone for any number of reasons. The preferred explanation (its impossible to work with Ron) is only one of them.
The alleged embargo indicates we're financially in a lot of trouble. Is this Rons fault? Has he run off with the money? Has he mismanaged it? Whilst my gut instinct is that I don't like the man, I've seen no evidence of this whatsoever. Please correct me if I've missed something.

Back