• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with everything except the Smith rating. It was a great cross for their goal, the ball was headed straight down, it was too deep for him to come for and it was more the defence's fault for a) not stopping the cross, b) not defending the back post and c) not clearing it off the line.

The conditions were atrocious and given that, I thought he was quite safe and assured. I'd have given him at least a 7, maybe even an 8.

Just quoting this to point out to people that it was no way Smiths fault for the goal...Made some very good saves.

Bloody excellent, for anyone not there we genuinely could have had 6 today. We hit the post in the first half ( many of us, me included were already cheering the goal),a clear cut penalty for a push on britt not given, and was the free kick on the edge of the area in the box? Finally a sublibe backheel from brit than tomlin was inches from connecting with.

Ps some idiot on essex radio said 'why do we only start playing when we go 1_0 down' do some of our fans actually watch when they are in the stadium?

And we are top of the form guide ratings.Well done to all the team
UTB

Spot on. That was view of it too. Barker did ok other than that but thought he could of cut the ball off before the goal.

Yeah apart from that Barker was good and i think it helps having Timlin on the left side, just hope people start to get off Smith's back because he is without doubt one of the best shot stoppers we have had at the hall for many years and in time his handling will get better and better.

Good result today against a Rochdale side that started the day in 6[SUP]th[/SUP] place. Solid team performance with everyone contributing something. Cresswell, Timlin and the front two the pick for me. Scrappy goal to give away and thought Smith could have done better. Please for Tomlin, who ran himself ragged (again) and got himself a goal. Best goal of the day was Lairds.
One minor moan, why can’t our goalkeeper kick the ball over the half way line!

Thats rather harsh as it was his immense kick that Tomlin brought down on the edge of their box and lobbed the keeper, only to see the ball just clear the bar!

The best thing about today , and there were many , was that we beat a good team and played good football.

Smith - 6 At fault for the goal, a couple of dodgy punches but a very good save in the first half.

Clohessy - 8 Up and down all day, always an outlet
Barker - 7.5 Got caught once or twice but used his experience. Good link up play with Timlin
Cresswell - 8.5 An immovable force, brilliant
Phillips - 8.5 Same as Cresswell
Hurst - 8 Great play with Clohessy and some good deliveries. Great cross field ball to Timlin for the second goal
Laird - 8 always plays the easy ball, great finish for the third goal. Good movement and vision and great reverse pass to Britt for our first goal
Mkandawire - 8 just sits in front of the back four, wins balls and lays it off.
Timlin - 9.5 MOM. Everywhere today, sublime ball down the touchline on 25 mins to put Britt in. Won everything, was everywhere.
Tomlin - 8 Ran himself ragged again and got yet another goal
Britt - 8 Another good day at the office. Worked well with Tomlin again, another stunning goal.

Sturrock - 10 I have to say Sturrock has come in for a lot of criticism in the past for hoofball but he has changed his style of play and it's paying dividends. Well done.

Home fans - 10 Great noise and support today from all round the ground.

On todays showing, we are auto promotion material.
Ok, most of your points are fair BUT I think you need to watch the Rochdale goal again & then I think you may feel you are being harsh with Smiffy. In wet wet conditions a punch isn't a bad choice.
Barker was getting forward more than other games and was "caught" as he didn't have Hurst in front of him in the same was SC did.
Philips stole it for best central defender as he was better at handling Adebola than Cress but only by a very small margin, he is also a ninja in the dark arts of defending with off ball menace.

Feel confident ahead of the FA cup game next week against a poor Bury side and a money-spinning 3rd round tie would make a lot of difference to Luggys transfer dealings in January Im sure.

Bury have only lost once in the last 7 games, they have picked up since Blackwell took over.

Well done boys agree with most on here smudge did good today not at fault for there goal imo. Great win credit to the gaffer to

Great result and a really enjoyable match. I thought they were on top for the first 20 mins and they looked like a decent side. We came back into it and it looked like we had a few decent chances. Personally I felt we could have gone in at half time a goal or two up as we created quite a bit but then Smith made a good save late on.

Second half I felt we steam rollered them with the exception of the goal and we made them look very average. Tomlin was immense as we the whole midfield. Creswell and Phillips I though were solid at the back and Smith looked really composed not sure why people give him a hard time as I really like him. Britt and Tomlin looked so dangerous. I am desperate to see more of Freddy and BBBC but you cannot argue when they play like this. Laird was immense total box to box display and capped it off with a goal. Cant fault anyone really great time te be a Southend fan this month.

Smith 7 - Did little wrong

Clohessey 7 - Works so hard but his crossing needs a lot of work
Cresswell - 8.5 - Rock
Phillips - 7 Handled Adebola with ease
Barker - 7 Got forward and bit and solid at the back

Tamir - 7 So tidy
Laird - 8 Tidy passing, work rate, goal - Hope we keep him
Tomlin - 9 - Gest game in ages
Hurst - 7 Clever on the ball

Tomlin - 8 - Full of running and skill
Britt - 8 Always looks to run at his man. Love it.

Not quite sure that Smith is expected to launch the ball as far as he can. Most kicks seem directed away from the opposing centre backs, which makes sense when Brit and Tomlin are no match in the air for most centre halves but will run them ragged on the ground.When Barker makes his runs forward Timlin seems to drop in behind. Like most I hope we are able to keep Brit and Mkandawire for longer but I would be surprised if we were successful. Laird, I thought we had an agreement to buy but I am probably wrong. Mind he hadn't had a start all season at the O's, which I find baffling.

We kept moving them around.. Their centre half's were knackered which contributed to our three goals later in the game

Ok, most of your points are fair BUT I think you need to watch the Rochdale goal again & then I think you may feel you are being harsh with Smiffy. In wet wet conditions a punch isn't a bad choice.
Barker was getting forward more than other games and was "caught" as he didn't have Hurst in front of him in the same was SC did.
Philips stole it for best central defender as he was better at handling Adebola than Cress but only by a very small margin, he is also a ninja in the dark arts of defending with off ball menace.

I was right behind the goal in the south upper and it looked like he went near post then back pedaled to the far post but im happy to stand corrected once I see the replay.

What an enjoyable afternoon. For the first time in a long while the long trip back to Norfolk was full of discussion about how well Blues played and the delightful football on offer. We have some excellent footballers in the squad at present and some of the link up play was very easy on the eye. Throughout the team there were so many plus points but the thing which has made the difference is the re-shaped midfield. A special mention for Hurst who has come on in leaps and bounds since his arrival. Very unlucky not to have won by more, the Britt header on to post, the delightful Tomlin lob and the narrow miss/save by the keeper from Britt at the death. Walked on the pitch at the end to exit the Eaat Greens and was amazed at some of the boggy parts of the pitch. In the circumstances the fare on offer today was a credit to both teams. Full marks to Luggy for assembling the present squad. Let's hope for more of the same

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back