• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The American Gun Law

..and a number of shootings are classed as accidental.

Can a death caused by a gun, ever truly be accidental? I mean sure, the person squeezing the trigger may not have meant to kill, but quite simply, the gun was doing, what it was designed to do... Kill

Thats the difference with cars. They weren't designed as a killing tool. Used incorrectly, they of course, will kill. Whereas a gun, if used correctly will kill, but also being used incorrectly, will still kill.

The Cars argument has no credence, simply because you're comparing apples & oranges. Humans need cars for various different reasons, other than just personal/pleasure; the emergency services all rely on getting to places in a quick time; It's widened our network, so we can travel further-a-field for work; they allows shop & business owners to transport goods across hundreds of miles to replenish stock in shops; they bring jobs to machinists, mechanics, MOTers, recovery drivers, salesmen all across the world.

Guns kill. That is their sole purpose.

The number of people who die every year, due to deliberate & intentional use of a car, will pale in comparison to the number of people killed via a gun.

Guns are used in sport where they certainly don't kill (unless of course, it's accidental).

I feel like an advocate for the NRA here :stunned:

Shooting paper targets, isn't what they were/are intended for. You don't need a machine that is capable of spitting out 180 bullets per minute, at about 1700mph, to tag a paper target?

That's why the whole car death vs gun death is unequivocal, because the primary purpose of each tool is chasms apart.

FWIW, I'm not overly fussed what happens with their gun control TBH. Common sense would dictate that legislations of gun ownership, and the process in which people can easily access or buy guns needs an overhaul. The ship has sailed on getting rid of guns completely, as there's far too many in circulation. I saw a quote the other day, which stated that only 22% of Americans own a gun. That means the remaining 78% either don't care, or are simply to apathetic to force a reform. Either way, it doesn't affect us & I'm quite glad we're on this side of the glass, looking into their zoo, instead of the other way round.

That being said, firing guns is one mad, exhilarating, adrenaline-fuelled mash-up of fun

Either way, it doesn't affect us & I'm quite glad we're on this side of the glass, looking into their zoo, instead of the other way round.

Spot on, though if you look purely at the numbers, one man made machine is just as deadly as another man made machine, and in fact if you take in deaths due to pollution levels, the humble car is probably are far more dangerous.

Spot on, though if you look purely at the numbers, one man made machine is just as deadly as another man made machine, and in fact if you take in deaths due to pollution levels, the humble car is probably are far more dangerous.

In that case, you could take any man-made invention, look deep and hard enough & eventually create a tenuous link to it causing deaths.

Cars serve a far greater purpose, than simple convenience. Of course, they carry a risk, but that risk has been evaluated & legislated against, meaning our driving today, is more heavily regulated than ever. Their capability of pumping out noxious fumes has been controlled & is continually monitored. The safety aspect of a car is checked every year via an MOT, and there is tax and insurance required to actually use one. Drunk driving has been banned, seatbelts are compulsory, and most cars now have airbags. And let's not forget the constant changing & application of new Speed limits.

On top of that, every person using one, has to be of a set-age, and is forced to undertake extensive practice of how to operate a car safely, as well as being eternally bound by the Highway Code of conduct. These days we are monitored every time we set off on a journey, either by electronic tags, CCTV, or other road users.

If after all that, you then still manage to **** up, you are penalised for your behaviour, or have your license revoked.

And the regulations & legislation continue to evolve, as to better protect people.

Now compare all that to gun ownership in America; you wait until your 18, fill out a form declaring you're not an inmate of a mental institution, and never have been. You don't have any domestic abuse charges, or restraining orders from ex partners against you, you haven't been to prison for more than one-year, and you don't do drugs.

Then wait two weeks for that to be processed, and you can pop into any Walmart and pick up a shiny new assault rifle, or shotgun, along with the weekly groceries.

You see the difference between car ownership, and gun ownership?

In that case, you could take any man-made invention, look deep and hard enough & eventually create a tenuous link to it causing deaths.

Cars serve a far greater purpose, than simple convenience. Of course, they carry a risk, but that risk has been evaluated & legislated against, meaning our driving today, is more heavily regulated than ever. Their capability of pumping out noxious fumes has been controlled & is continually monitored. The safety aspect of a car is checked every year via an MOT, and there is tax and insurance required to actually use one. Drunk driving has been banned, seatbelts are compulsory, and most cars now have airbags. And let's not forget the constant changing & application of new Speed limits.

On top of that, every person using one, has to be of a set-age, and is forced to undertake extensive practice of how to operate a car safely, as well as being eternally bound by the Highway Code of conduct. These days we are monitored every time we set off on a journey, either by electronic tags, CCTV, or other road users.

If after all that, you then still manage to **** up, you are penalised for your behaviour, or have your license revoked.

And the regulations & legislation continue to evolve, as to better protect people.

Now compare all that to gun ownership in America; you wait until your 18, fill out a form declaring you're not an inmate of a mental institution, and never have been. You don't have any domestic abuse charges, or restraining orders from ex partners against you, you haven't been to prison for more than one-year, and you don't do drugs.

Then wait two weeks for that to be processed, and you can pop into any Walmart and pick up a shiny new assault rifle, or shotgun, along with the weekly groceries.

You see the difference between car ownership, and gun ownership?

You've not been over Basfest on a Friday night after 11 pm :winking::smile:

UTS

Shooting paper targets, isn't what they were/are intended for. You don't need a machine that is capable of spitting out 180 bullets per minute, at about 1700mph, to tag a paper target?

That's why the whole car death vs gun death is unequivocal, because the primary purpose of each tool is chasms apart.

FWIW, I'm not overly fussed what happens with their gun control TBH. Common sense would dictate that legislations of gun ownership, and the process in which people can easily access or buy guns needs an overhaul. The ship has sailed on getting rid of guns completely, as there's far too many in circulation. I saw a quote the other day, which stated that only 22% of Americans own a gun. That means the remaining 78% either don't care, or are simply to apathetic to force a reform. Either way, it doesn't affect us & I'm quite glad we're on this side of the glass, looking into their zoo, instead of the other way round.

That being said, firing guns is one mad, exhilarating, adrenaline-fuelled mash-up of fun

Indeed, if I lived there I would own them, I'm a gun enthusiast myself and own airsoft guns myself. I'd certainly own the real steel versions if I was allowed.

Thing is I still know the hypocrisy of that and that the population owning guns really makes no sense.

America is what it is, they wont ever give up guns and will always have mass shootings.

Indeed, if I lived there I would own them, I'm a gun enthusiast myself and own airsoft guns myself. I'd certainly own the real steel versions if I was allowed.

Thing is I still know the hypocrisy of that and that the population owning guns really makes no sense.

America is what it is, they wont ever give up guns and will always have mass shootings.

Agree with all that. I'm certain if I lived there, I'd be strapped to the eyeballs, despite how hypocritical, nonsensical & counter-productive it would be, for the simple reason that I'm expecting millions of other psychopaths to be just as equally strapped.

As I said a while back, I'm just glad that I'm on the outside looking in

If you look at those stats I posted earlier, the biggest cause of gun death is suicide. It's virtually double that of homicides.

If you look at those stats I posted earlier, the biggest cause of gun death is suicide. It's virtually double that of homicides.

I think that speaks volumes about the mental health crisis in America, and less about guns TBH.

Unfortunately mental health isn't handled well, or taken seriously enough in America*. I'm not saying suicide rates would neccessarily plummet, if you removed guns from the equation, but I'd think they'd certainly drop. Using a gun to off yourself would be the preferred choice, considering how quick & painless it would be, as opposed to any other method.

*Although saying that, if you're not working a full-time, moderate paying job, you won't afford the medical bills to address, never mind treat, your mental health problems anyway.

I'm sure it was reported that the Vegas crackpot was taking Valium (Diazepam), for an unspecified(?) existing condition? Valium itself, can be mind-altering, causing hallucinations, confusion, anger, anxiety, depression & suicidal tendencies, and that's besides whatever else he already had going on in his head.

And thats how mental health is treated in America; load them up with pills that settle them for a bit, and hope for the best.

Oh well, the killing and injuring of all those people in Las Vegas has faded from the news, but the row over a few athletes kneeling to the national anthem rumbles on. The latest suggestion is that Mike Pence only attended a football match so he could walk out in 'disgust' if the players did their protest.

You can only conclude that the US has got its priorities badly wrong.

Oh well, the killing and injuring of all those people in Las Vegas has faded from the news, but the row over a few athletes kneeling to the national anthem rumbles on. The latest suggestion is that Mike Pence only attended a football match so he could walk out in 'disgust' if the players did their protest.

You can only conclude that the US has got its priorities badly wrong.

Not the only thing that's "faded from the news this week", So has the ongoing row about Catalan independence.

When will they learn their lesson on gun law.?

Just over a month since 60 people were shot dead in Las Vegas (and 527 injured), a week since New York where 8 died (and 11 injured...granted that wasn't a shooting) now 27 dead (and 20+ injured) in a Texan church.

Not to mention nearly 600 murders in Chicago alone already this year!!...This Year!!.. And that's Just one city! I read that Baltimore is almost as bad. Add to that big cities like Los Angeles, New York, Miami Etc. God knows what the national statistic is!?!

I for one, am just glad i don't live there.

A mass shooting is defined in the USA as 4 or more deaths, I heard on the news yesterday that there were 3 on Saturday, 4 on Friday. 28 in October. Horrifying statistics...

There are two major factors when it comes to America & it's gun control/mass shooting history;

1) There is simply too many guns in circulation, amassing to nearly one gun per person. That figure is now irreversible, and so guns will forever be apart of their culture.

2) Americans simply do not want to give up their rights to bare arms. And personally, due to the above reason, I wouldn't want to give mine up either. You can see it's a very selfish reason for them not wanting reform, but it's almost a neccessary outlook, when you're surrounded by that much hardware.

Imagine living with a mindset that dictates in order for me to protect myself/my family/my property, then the probability of thousands dying every single day, has to exist.

Trump says it's not to do with guns, but mental health. I don't remember him saying that when that dusky, bearded bloke mowed down those innocents in New York....

When will they learn their lesson on gun law.?

Just over a month since 60 people were shot dead in Las Vegas (and 527 injured), a week since New York where 8 died (and 11 injured...granted that wasn't a shooting) now 27 dead (and 20+ injured) in a Texan church.

Not to mention nearly 600 murders in Chicago alone already this year!!...This Year!!.. And that's Just one city! I read that Baltimore is almost as bad. Add to that big cities like Los Angeles, New York, Miami Etc. God knows what the national statistic is!?!

I for one, am just glad i don't live there.

I put some frightning stats on this thread.

http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/show...ican-Gun-Law&p=1999818&viewfull=1#post1999818

Trump says it's not to do with guns, but mental health. I don't remember him saying that when that dusky, bearded bloke mowed down those innocents in New York....

That's because the dusky bearded bloke didn't use guns. Guns were irrelevant to that incident.

And To say that the dusky bearded bloke was mentally ill, is slightly disingenuous. He was clearly indoctrinated and/or brainwashed into carrying out an evil act, which is encouraged by an equally evil branch of the Islamic faith.

The same Islamic branch that Trump has been very vocal about eradicating, which even the lefties would/should want, no?

Back