• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Julian Hails

Cracking interview, nothing but good memories of Julian Hails, none less than the hat-trick against Leicester and a worldy on the opening day of the season up at Scarborough

Great quote this:

My style was probably better suited to the sort of football Southend played and with the likes of Ronnie Whelan, Chris Powell and Mike Marsh in the team, I was playing with some very talented colleagues.

What he doesn't know is that a friend of mine took his then girlfriend (now wife), who was an Arsenal season ticket holder, to a Southend game, and she was so impressed with JH that she actually contacted Arsene Wenger, suggesting that he send someone down to Roots Hall to have a look.

What a great player he was, I have not seen a better right back play for our club since he left. He was always committed and never let the team down in any way. The same goes for Powell on the left side. What a team we had before it went terribly wrong.

What a great player he was, I have not seen a better right back play for our club since he left. He was always committed and never let the team down in any way. The same goes for Powell on the left side. What a team we had before it went terribly wrong.

I thought he was a right midfielder. I remember him filling in once or twice at right back, but in my mind he was a midfielder....

It might be my memory, but I'm sure someone with a better memory or some facts to hand can put me right.

Clohessy?

I thought he was a right midfielder. I remember him filling in once or twice at right back, but in my mind he was a midfielder....

It might be my memory, but I'm sure someone with a better memory or some facts to hand can put me right.

He was a right-winger when we were in the Championship, but had been converted to a wing-back by the time we were back in the Fourth Division. Was a better wing-back than winger IMO.

Our least likely hat-trick hero ever - and I'm including Leon Cort in that.

I do like Clohessy but i still prefer Hails, maybe its because this was the period when i started getting into Southend United and feel more biased towards my childhood heroes. I do remember he came to us as a right winger but filled in at right back and stayed there making the number 2 shirt his own.

Back