• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

There are plenty of ways of providing for your future. A pension is just one option. The reason to chose to invest in a pension rather than investing in property and living off the rent, or shares and bonds and living off the dividends and coupons (which is what largely makes up your pension) is that a pension is tax efficient.

Incorrect.

The reason I chose a pension as the fact I can't get my hands on the money to invest in a football club --- or anything else for that matter.

If you had ever worked in financial services you would realise everyone's situation is different and you cannot possibly generalise.

Correct. depending on the scheme rules.

In the scheme I was in, I could take £17,000 tax free for the loss of £1,000 a year taxable.
The reduced pension is capped at 2.5% p.a. increase.

Correct. depending on the scheme rules.

In the scheme I was in, I could take £17,000 tax free for the loss of £1,000 a year taxable.
The reduced pension is capped at 2.5% p.a. increase.

Please be aware these figures can go down as well as drop.

Accumulated pension rights are set in stone. I know.

Yes - pension increases can drop, been there.

Interest rates are a different matter.

I played the scheme and cashed it.

Incorrect.

The reason I chose a pension as the fact I can't get my hands on the money to invest in a football club --- or anything else for that matter.

If you had ever worked in financial services you would realise everyone's situation is different and you cannot possibly generalise.

I do work in financial services. A pension is a tax-efficient wrapper. It's entirely possible to achieve the same outcome outside of the wrapper of a pension but it is inefficient to do so (because you're losing out on tax-breaks), so no-one really promotes it.

A basic-rate tax-payer's (ie someone who earns over £9k or whatever the exact personal allowance figure is now) pension fund will claim the 20% tax back on their pension contribution and the amount they contribute is grossed up.

ie for every £80 you pay into your pension, £100 is credited.

Because you are avoiding tax!

The main reason to invest in a pension is that it's tax efficient.

You are getting tax relief not avoiding tax. Better than the government encourage us to save for our future than rely in the state. HMRC state themselves that it is not avoidance if you plan your affairs within the rules to pay the least tax possible.

In theory the only main tax you cannot avoid is income tax.

I avoid tax like the plague! I am an IT contractor and have ensured my contract leaves me outside of IR35. This means that I can (and have) set up my own limited company. I pay myself in tax free dividends (although I also pay myself a salary on which I pay some income tax.) I think last year my marginal rate of tax (taking corporation tax into account also) was about 25%.

However, I'm not a criminal, and should the rules change so that IR35 nolonger applies I will pay the tax that is due because I won't evade tax.

You hypocritical ******.

Is it time to put tax avoidance in the same category as tax evasion?
Personally I think so.

"Accountants are often hired as auditors by the same companies they are providing tax advice to."

At least it would be a start for the Goverment (if they as are serious as they claim to be about cracking down on tax avoidance)not to employ people from the big four accountancy firms to advise them on tax policy.

After all, poachers really shoudn't be employed as gamekeepers too.That's just comon sense,isn't it?

Over to you.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/feb/01/accountancy-big-four-laugh-tax-office

Avoidance is legal, but the lines are very grey. I don't allow my business to get involved in anything shady at all - I want to sleep at night, without the taxman knocking, and frankly the PI costs are far far too high to get involved in that game.

Evasion is illegal. Putting cash undeclared in your pocket is illegal.

I've noticed you've attempted to pass the buck to me, GHG and Berrichone Shrimper to avoid the question. Have you paid your taxes that you are legally required to? <<<NOW ANSWERED

Anyone else see the irony of a tax cheat starting a thread on tax avoidance, which he now seems quite proud of. Tax cheating hypocrite.

I think you can probably thank YB for resurrecting this thread.

You've had your fun.

Let's not forget you were clearly guilty of hypocrisy with your support of the violent physical assault on George Galloway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back