• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Woodyard has looked 10 times the player Spicer is whenever I've seen him.

I think we'll see a midfield of,
Hurst, Timlin, Woodyard, Reeves

Ten times the player?? Think that's a little ott Ayrshire Blue, people have made him (Spicer) and Smith the boo boy targets for this season. Woodyard is tidy at times but doesn't contribute any more than Spicer, I'm not Woodyard bashing but he isn't the best defensivley, carries little attacking threat and is inexperienced. Woodyard is average at best, Spicer is an experienced league footballer.

We rested four players and didn't pick up any injuries or suspensions yesterday, so I expect we'll have our full first team out there (minus the injured Kevin Lisbie, alas).

I'd be very surprised if Woody doesn't start. He's the obvious and outstanding choice to play in the holding role. Would really like to see Reeves start in the centre of the midfield too.

It has to be Spicer in the Midfield. I thought he started off the season quite well, however the the last couple of performances he played in were terrible and not played since. Timlin being the teachers pet has more bad games than good ones yet he has to play 90 minutes week in week out. For me whilst Woodyard has looked tidy, he hasn't created anything and is young and inexperienced. Watch Match of the Day and the pundits well tell you about too much inexperience of Aston Villa. What im getting at a Midfield of Woodyard, Reeves, Leonard and even Lavery upfront is a no go especially away from home against a team in a higher division. Reeves showed when he came on some class but some stupidity when he tried show boating with the ball, lost it, Oxford countered, nearly scored and got a corner from it. Also playing Prosser or Leonard in central midfield like some suggest is a no go. We saw at Brentford what happens when you play someone completely out of position, when Woodyard came on the shape of the midfield looked so much better. My team wood be:

Smith

Clohessy Creswell Phillips Prosser

Leonard Timlin Spicer Hurst

Assomabalonga Corr

Subs; Bentley, Barker, Reeves, Eastwood, Harris (only 5 allowed in JPT)

Barker has gone missing last few games so needs dropping. 3 games in 3 days maybe too much for Assombalonga who struggled yesterday and Corr has never been the fittest to last 90 mins. For me they only start as Tomlin is injured, Lavery too inexperienced, Benyon not with it and Eastwood and Harris not 100 percent match fit.

After 60 mins or so if needed double sub with Harris and Eastwood coming on up top as they linked well together last season. Barker is a defensive option whilst Reeves gets the nod over Straker and Woodyard as he is more versitile

Smith
SC, MP, Cressie, Barks
Hirst, Reeves, Woody, Timlin
Britt & Gav (or BBBC if Gav not back)
Subs, Bentley, Straker, Luke, Spicer, Fred + whoever

But when was the last time Spicer played any football? Cant afford rusty players in such a big game. He hasnt even been on the bench recently. Think Luggy will go with Leonard, Timlin, Reeves and Hurst.

But when was the last time Spicer played any football? Cant afford rusty players in such a big game. He hasnt even been on the bench recently. Think Luggy will go with Leonard, Timlin, Reeves and Hurst.
Unlikely- both wingers right footed, both CMs lefy footed. As Timlin will play CM Reeves will stay on wing.
It will be Hurst, Spicer/Woodyard, Timlin, Reeves. Personally i would start with Spicer but PS knows best.

We should have around 2000 and they should have around 3000 according to the Orient fans.

I know it's ridiculous on the basis of a ten minute glimpse and about six contributions on Saturday, but Reeves looked like he might offer something quite special. Each of his three touches all got the crowd around me buzzing. I really hope he gets the chance to show what he can do as creative central midfielder on Tuesday - ideally alongside Leonard in the holding role so that Hurst plays right wing and Timlin continues on the left. If Reeves proves out of his depth then at least it's not a League game. More likely I think he will offer something that Orient dont plan for and could give us an edge. Orient are certainly not to Brentford's standard and going to Wembley would make a perfect 60th birthday present for me!!

I know it's ridiculous on the basis of a ten minute glimpse and about six contributions on Saturday, but Reeves looked like he might offer something quite special. Each of his three touches all got the crowd around me buzzing. I really hope he gets the chance to show what he can do as creative central midfielder on Tuesday - ideally alongside Leonard in the holding role so that Hurst plays right wing and Timlin continues on the left. If Reeves proves out of his depth then at least it's not a League game. More likely I think he will offer something that Orient dont plan for and could give us an edge. Orient are certainly not to Brentford's standard and going to Wembley would make a perfect 60th birthday present for me!!

He has played 6 times in the first team for Southampton this season so I doubt that very much. He is a class act.

Are we missing something here? We do not have to be too offensive with this game, as its only one of two legs. We have a very good back 4, with an inform Smith between the sticks, but I also do not want us to go to their patch and be too defensive. To steal a win at Orient and take that to a home leg advantage, would be fantastic, but I will also take a draw knowing that we were a match to them, with the 2nd leg advantage at home.

Smith
Clohessy Phillips Cresswell Barker
Leonard Timlin Reeves Hurst
Assombalonga Corr

in 10 mins Reeves looked a class player

Not a bad side !!

Jones

Odubajo Cuthbert Baudry Sawyer

Cox James Rowlands Cook

Batt Mooney

Subs: McSweeney, Omozusi, J.Smith, Griffith, Obafemi.

Back