• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

When we lost at Rochdale on a similarly dificult pitch he accused HIS team of being naive by trying to play football. After the York defeat however, and I quote ; " "I didn't think we attempted to play any kind of football. We played with a kind of route one mentality. It just wasn't good enough.... We get the ball down and play on the training ground, and then you come on a Saturday and you don't play. I wouldn't like to watch that every week." ....hmmmm.

I have always been a glass half full rather than a moaner but enough is enough. What difference has Brown made? He has no experience at this level and it will mean trouble next season.
Most of us ordinary fans could have told him not to rely on Mohsni and Straker in key roles at Wembley.
He says he is impressed with the quality of the squad but could only muster a scrappy lucky win against a poor Aldershot team. At York we lacked any style of play, constantly failing to control the ball on an admittedly hard pitch but York City managed and they outpaced us and caused us problems all afternoon.
He said we played a long ball game but he and Coughlan stood on the touchline for 90 odd minutes, have they no influence.
The team came out early for the 2nd half (whether they had been sent out early or York kept them waiting matters not) and the whole team then stood almost motionless in the sunshine appearing to be dreaming of their summer holidays.
The start at Wembley was similar with Crewe going through a warm up and us calling players over to pose for photos.
Eastwood played well at York but not in areas to hurt and that was true for the rest.
They appear to lack direction. Hurst can cause problems but is now a bench warmer.
I hope Brown can turn it round but I really fear for next season, particularly if our better players disappear.
I also forecast that Brown will not stay long, any success will see him leaving for a bigger club and as I expect us to be fighting relegation next season he will not stay around blaming lack of funds etc as most do when they have failed.
The Martin gamble on Brown coming in and winning a majority of games has failed in spectacular fashion and he deserves to fail for the dismal treatment of a great manager in Paul Sturrock. :sad:

I too feel next season we could easily be at the wrong end of the table,PB faces a massive task and of course if he does well he will be off at the first job offer.Early days I know yet he has made a poor start and one can even argue the team looks worse under PB.

As per the above the team may look worse but I think Phil Brown has been doing a lot of experimenting knowing that the season is over. It's important he learns more about his team. I think he is doing that. Results haven't gone our way but I still agree with getting Brown in when we did. I think it gives us the best chance of reaping the rewards next season.

As per the above the team may look worse but I think Phil Brown has been doing a lot of experimenting knowing that the season is over. It's important he learns more about his team. I think he is doing that. Results haven't gone our way but I still agree with getting Brown in when we did. I think it gives us the best chance of reaping the rewards next season.

The current crop of players don't appear good enough to maintain any serious challenge which leaves Phil to bring in new lads who then have to hit the ground running,One thing is next season it will be interesting.

The current crop of players don't appear good enough to maintain any serious challenge which leaves Phil to bring in new lads who then have to hit the ground running,One thing is next season it will be interesting.

The same crop of players that went on an impressive unbeaten run earlier in the season. They are capable but sure we will need a few good signings on free's or loan signings to help assist the players that we already have. Without our loan players I think we really would have struggled this year!

I have always been a glass half full rather than a moaner but enough is enough. What difference has Brown made? He has no experience at this level and it will mean trouble next season.
Most of us ordinary fans could have told him not to rely on Mohsni and Straker in key roles at Wembley.
He says he is impressed with the quality of the squad but could only muster a scrappy lucky win against a poor Aldershot team. At York we lacked any style of play, constantly failing to control the ball on an admittedly hard pitch but York City managed and they outpaced us and caused us problems all afternoon.
He said we played a long ball game but he and Coughlan stood on the touchline for 90 odd minutes, have they no influence.
The team came out early for the 2nd half (whether they had been sent out early or York kept them waiting matters not) and the whole team then stood almost motionless in the sunshine appearing to be dreaming of their summer holidays.
The start at Wembley was similar with Crewe going through a warm up and us calling players over to pose for photos.
Eastwood played well at York but not in areas to hurt and that was true for the rest.
They appear to lack direction. Hurst can cause problems but is now a bench warmer.
I hope Brown can turn it round but I really fear for next season, particularly if our better players disappear.
I also forecast that Brown will not stay long, any success will see him leaving for a bigger club and as I expect us to be fighting relegation next season he will not stay around blaming lack of funds etc as most do when they have failed.
The Martin gamble on Brown coming in and winning a majority of games has failed in spectacular fashion and he deserves to fail for the dismal treatment of a great manager in Paul Sturrock. :sad:

Excellent summary of our (worrying) situation.

I've just listened to what PB had to say about the Route One mentality and I have to say that he is spot on. Route One is not the way forward in the long term.

Our back to back promotions under Tilson were done using good old fashioned keep the ball on the ground and play football. Under Sturrock however, we seemed to go backwards and started using Route One. The problem with that is that most strikers - particularly Freddy - want the ball at their feet, not having to run after a ball that's coming from somewhere up in the air - think about it - how many footballers do you know who have eyes in the back of their heads.

If PB is going to rebuild the team to play football as it is meant to be played then fair play to him and I'll support him and give him time.

I've just listened to what PB had to say about the Route One mentality and I have to say that he is spot on. Route One is not the way forward in the long term.

Our back to back promotions under Tilson were done using good old fashioned keep the ball on the ground and play football. Under Sturrock however, we seemed to go backwards and started using Route One. The problem with that is that most strikers - particularly Freddy - want the ball at their feet, not having to run after a ball that's coming from somewhere up in the air - think about it - how many footballers do you know who have eyes in the back of their heads.

If PB is going to rebuild the team to play football as it is meant to be played then fair play to him and I'll support him and give him time.

This is crucial. Building a good footballing side does not happen overnight!

That really isn't my recollection. We did play some nice football at times, and with the Original Freddy it seemed even more so, but in truth we were pretty direct a lot of the time.

May I remind everyone ; "they did nothing but turn our two centre-halves to face their own goalkeeper. They put balls in behind us and turned us all day. Consequently they played in the right areas of the pitch. We didn't.....I have defenders who thought they had a good game because they kept possession and played football. It's not about possession, it's about sticking your head in, kicking it as far as you can on a surface like this and getting your strikers to hold the ball up so the midfield can support them. We didn't do that all night."

Back