• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

But it doesn't take longer. It's clearly easier to assess an offside from a TV screen in real time than it is for a linesman running the line waving a silly flag. A linesman cannot be looking in two places at once and therefore by default there's guesswork involved in every single offside call. Have that decision made in the stands and it will be more accurate and no slower.

I notice you've ignored my point about the clock. Do you add the time back or not? Do you want the clock to stop repeatedly whilst a review takes place?

If not, do you allow a fourth official to be able to review an incident and then call the game back? What happens if someone commits a foul and is red carded in that time? Do you call the player back onto the field, or does he stay sent off? Assuming you bring the clock back, then the player would have a very good case for being allowed back on.

Again, i'm not for or against technology, but if it is used I want to ensure all angles are covered.

I hate the thought of any technology in football. Its a game that covers all emotions in life, a game played and officiated by humans, humans can make mistakes. These mistakes can go for you or against you some of them become the stuff of legend. The feeling of injustice and the lows that may be felt only make the victories and highs even better. We should actively be against technology in the game. I know someone will bang on about possible monies being lost etc etc........football is more than that

Well said.

I notice you've ignored my point about the clock. Do you add the time back or not? Do you want the clock to stop repeatedly whilst a review takes place?

If not, do you allow a fourth official to be able to review an incident and then call the game back? What happens if someone commits a foul and is red carded in that time? Do you call the player back onto the field, or does he stay sent off? Assuming you bring the clock back, then the player would have a very good case for being allowed back on.

Again, i'm not for or against technology, but if it is used I want to ensure all angles are covered.

I've not ignored it. You just add it on as you would any other stoppage.

From your description it sounds as though you are talking about having a permanent TV referee who constantly communicates with the referee on the field rather than a review system? Or something where the referee asks a 4th official to have a look?.

I'd have it all. The technology is there and should be used.

I'd have it all. The technology is there and should be used.

Why not just create robots that never misplace a pass or miss a shot or definitely make the tackle.......or even better build goalkeepers that have 8 foot long arms.....the game is the game its been fine for a hundred odd years.......standing around waiting for some bloke in a room to make a decision on a tackle or a this or that zzzzzzzzzzz I would seriously consider not attending

I dont mind technology as long as it can be applied in a way that does not affect the flow of a game. Goal line technology seems a no brainer but the rest of it has massive question marks.

Why not just create robots that never misplace a pass or miss a shot or definitely make the tackle.......or even better build goalkeepers that have 8 foot long arms.....the game is the game its been fine for a hundred odd years.......standing around waiting for some bloke in a room to make a decision on a tackle or a this or that zzzzzzzzzzz I would seriously consider not attending

Change isnt necessarily a bad thing, I remember the uproar when keepers couldnt pick up the ball from backpasses !

I think we're taking the fun out of football. There's nothing better than going home from a game where you've been outplayed, but nicked it after an iffy decision by the ref. Equally you'd never be able to go home saying "we woz robbed" - it's this sort of thing that makes football exciting. I used to listen to my grandad talk about football and think "shut up grandad" when he said you couldn't tackle any more etc, but you can't! At Hartlepool on Saturday fans were chanting OFF OFF OFF for things that 20 years ago we wouldn't even have considered a foul. Decisions for handball are ridiculous at the moment - you try getting your hand out of the way when a ball is hammered into you from a few yards away.

I think we need to remember we play in the 4th division and should expect 4th division referees too. Whilst some of the decisions these clowns give are astounding, they are also part of the game, and the game would be poorer without them. I've never understood the "ref watch" threads on these forums - some people clearly do watch refs and turn up expecting a certain standard of refereeing. I wouldn't have clue - I turn up to watch the blues.

I'm ranting now, so I'll stop.

I dont mind technology as long as it can be applied in a way that does not affect the flow of a game. Goal line technology seems a no brainer but the rest of it has massive question marks.

Change isnt necessarily a bad thing, I remember the uproar when keepers couldnt pick up the ball from backpasses !

A tweak to the rules is not always a bad thing agreed. The football world is supposed to respect the officials yet many seem determined to usurp them with machines. .....go figure. Am I just a traditionalist who doesn't want the subject of such time and passion in my life made even more souless and sterile?.......yes

If there was more technology, Trevor Kettle wouldn't gift us so many games!!! :winking:

A tweak to the rules is not always a bad thing agreed. The football world is supposed to respect the officials yet many seem determined to usurp them with machines. .....go figure. Am I just a traditionalist who doesn't want the subject of such time and passion in my life made even more souless and sterile?.......yes

I quite liked the 10yd penalty for arguing the decision with the ref, does anyone know why it was dropped?

how is that not gonna have the same effect as a offside decision??

the ball bounces out after crossing the line, so the ball is still in play, when does the descion take place that it was a goal or not???

I quite liked the 10yd penalty for arguing the decision with the ref, does anyone know why it was dropped?

It was only ever a trial, albeit one that lasted four seasons from 2001-2005, but ultimately FIFA decided to drop it, largely due to significant amounts of confusion about the rule in countries where rugby is not played, where they did not understand the logic of the rule.

Daily Telegraph 30.06.05

the ball bounces out after crossing the line, so the ball is still in play, when does the descion take place that it was a goal or not???

The way the Hawkeye technology is being used in all Premier League matches this season is that if the whole of the ball crosses the line, as determined by the series of cameras in and around the goal, then the word "GOAL!" will be flashed up immediately on a watch worn by the referee. He will therefore be able to award the goal without any delay. If he does not receive the message on his watch, he will just allow play to continue, as the whole of the ball will not have crossed the line.

But it doesn't take longer. It's clearly easier to assess an offside from a TV screen in real time than it is for a linesman running the line waving a silly flag. A linesman cannot be looking in two places at once and therefore by default there's guesswork involved in every single offside call. Have that decision made in the stands and it will be more accurate and no slower.

If the pass being made to the player in the offside position is a short one, then both players, passer and receiver, will easily be within the eyeline of the linesman, so to say that guesswork is involved in every single offside call is simply not true.

Having run the line myself (only at schoolboy level and many, many years ago) I can certainly vouch for the fact that only when the passing player is a long way downfield from the player in the offside position is it difficult to see both at once, although hearing the player kick the ball can help your decision-making (admittedly this may not be possible in a rousing cauldron of fever-pitched noise such as Roots Hall). But the TV camera likewise does not cover the entire pitch. If such a long pass occurs in a match you're watching on TV, do you always see the passer and the offside player in the same shot?

How many times have you watched a match on TV and not been sure on first viewing about an offside, or made a decision about it yourself on first viewing and then been proven wrong? Often with the close decisions, we can only be sure once we have looked at them in slow-motion and from different angles, and with the addition of the lines put on screen to mark the positions of the attacker and the last defender.

For what you are proposing, the offside decisions that the linesman can currently make with a high degree of certainty will also be clear to someone watching on a monitor. But the close decisions, the type that can sometimes be called incorrectly by a human who gets only one view at it, will have just as much accuracy made by someone watching a single feed on a monitor as by a linesman.

If you want to use TV to make offside decisions at games, it will have to come with replays and multiple angles, and that means it is going to slow down the decision-making process and interrupt the flow of the game.

Brilliant. So you were happy with Defoe's 'goal' yeah?

Your attitude is appaling. What about the pass back rule? Should we roll that back? Two points for a win? Brilliant idea that was.

This is nothing but hyperbolic nonsense. Referees would be supported not usurped.

how is that not gonna have the same effect as a offside decision??

Its automated.

Goal goes over line, beep. Decision.

No manual reviewing by a human involved.

Brilliant. So you were happy with Defoe's 'goal' yeah?

Your attitude is appaling. What about the pass back rule? Should we roll that back? Two points for a win? Brilliant idea that was.

As stated i have nothing against the odd rule change, why so touchy??????? I happen to think technology has no place in football, to be told my attitude is appalling is frankly laughable, I shall revert to similar tactics, you are a **nt for having a different opinion to mine.

I've not ignored it. You just add it on as you would any other stoppage.

Blimey. We really will get into an NFL situation where an game that lasts an hour actually takes about 3-4 hours to complete.

So what about the player that may have been sent off? Does he get re-instated? That is a serious debate, because it could be argued both ways...

Back