• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

First game i ever saw SUFC play was against Millwall at home ,they were top of the league at that time ,was way back in the late 50s i think, memory to too good on that, but do remember there was a crowd of 10000 at least it was at ROOTS HALL. needless to say we lost 3-1. They had a young man in goal for them who went on to be an international ALEX STEPNEY.I think its a good draw and winnable in out current form, and will be played before a crowd of 10000 plus.

We have played Millwall at home about 40 times over the last 90 odd years. None was a 1-3 defeat.

We played them 3 times at Roots Hall in the 50s and won them all.

Alex Stepney made his Millwall debut in 1963.

I guess you might be thinking of our 2-0 home defeat in 1965 ? That was a big, big crowd of 15,000 + and we had Ray White in goal (as we did for the Brighton 9-1 rout the following month).

We have played Millwall at home about 40 times over the last 90 odd years. None was a 1-3 defeat.

We played them 3 times at Roots Hall in the 50s and won them all.

Alex Stepney made his Millwall debut in 1963.

I guess you might be thinking of our 2-0 home defeat in 1965 ? That was a big, big crowd of 15,000 + and we had Ray White in goal (as we did for the Brighton 9-1 rout the following month).

You definitely just got that off the internet.

Brown's Southend is based upon Sturrock's Southend and Harris will know the spine of the team (Bentley, Prosser, Leonard, Timlin and Corr) well.
Utter rubbish, so you think we play the same system as we did under Sturrock ? Chalk and cheese !!!!!!!

A few stats regarding the draw:

This is the eighth time we have been in the Third Round of the FA Cup this century, and for all of them except one (versus Chelsea) we have been drawn as the home team. That doesn't seem to have helped us much though, as since we beat Millwall 1-0 at Roots Hall at this stage in 1993 we have got through to the Fourth Round only twice in 11 attempts. We have only ever had one victory in the Third Round as a fourth tier team, back in 1969, when we beat Swindon.

Millwall have not lost a Third Round FA Cup tie to a team from the fourth tier for 40 years. Indeed, they have won their last five FA Cup matches against fourth tier opponents. However, starting from their defeat at Roots Hall in 1993, they have scored only one goal in the last six matches they have been drawn away from home in the Third Round (not including replays).

No chance. I'd say the total crowd would be 7,000 max. I doubt many of our 'pick and choose' fans will view this as a 'must come and watch' game, especially if the 'Peelers' make it an early KO.

I agree. We haven't had more than 7,000 for a home Third Round FA Cup tie against non-Premier League opposition for 12 years. The last time we played Millwall in the FA Cup there were just over 8,000 in the Hall.

A few stats regarding the draw:

This is the eighth time we have been in the Third Round of the FA Cup this century, and for all of them except one (versus Chelsea) we have been drawn as the home team.

This comp doesn't suit us. How many times did we make 3rd round in last century. More than 20 I doubt?

Harris does not know Phil Browns southend he left for Millwall before the team started to gell . Good to be at home and one we can win on current form .
Bomber has been to several games this season. He is a supporter of his local team and has been following the progress as a fan so I think he has a idea how things are at The Hall.

Utter rubbish, so you think we play the same system as we did under Sturrock ? Chalk and cheese !!!!!!!

Well to be fair Sturrock did deploy the 451/ 433 system first. However its the way he used the system that differs and as you say its a very different team than last season.

Harris will know some of the players but there are plenty he doesnt know. The fact he will be well aware of the likes of Hurst will help him Im sure, but any decent manager would have that sort of information.

Sturrock's team employed the 4-3-3 to devastating effect at the tail end of 2011 with Dickinson, Hall and Mohsni. We were unstoppable back then. It went to pot a bit when Dicko got injured then was adapted to 4-4-2 later in the season with Freddy and Harris.

I quite like this quote from the Millwall site:

Always liked Southend United away. Always feels like a proper football away day.

Southend fans are alright too, although they do have some right plums of a west ham persuasion that like to think they're big time. You know the type; born & raised in Essex, but give it the Eastend jack the lad nonsense. To be fair most Southend fans think they're pathetic ******s too.

Back