• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Reword that after Strakers woeful efforts last night. I'm sure Timlin has played some of his best games for us outwide, which he has also said is his preferred position. Rather him there than Straker. As for Laird, love the guy but on current form much like Cliffird he just doesn't get in. But it's a squad game and they are likely to get the chance at some stage.

Laird is a good player bit we are very strong in central midfield at the moment so he will just have to wait for a chance.

Reword that after Strakers woeful efforts last night. I'm sure Timlin has played some of his best games for us outwide, which he has also said is his preferred position. Rather him there than Straker. As for Laird, love the guy but on current form much like Cliffird he just doesn't get in. But it's a squad game and they are likely to get the chance at some stage.

Timlin would be wide left in a 4-4-2 not a 4-5-1 - in that he'd surely only be the left of the central three.

As much as everyone seems to say Laird's a defensive midfielder, it was Mkandawire last season who was holding and Laird pushing on and getting ahead of the ball. This season Leonard has been the deepest of the three and Laird is often the furthest forward of the central midfielders.

re starting

Looks like Mark Laird will be starting tommrow i hope.
Needs a few fresh legs to play.:smile::smile:

The team revolved around him before his injury. Was player of the match with his rare appearance against Northampton not fit, and now is back on the bench behind people like Clifford and Payne Is this the worst manager ever for trying to prove that he is right by playing the same old worn out players. Please sack him Monday morning Ron as he has players available that are fresh and can turn it around. Laird should be first on the teamsheet not 15th and the Bentley for England tripe just about sums motormouth up!

Before everyone slags the post, I actually agree with you on most of this , except I think he's done a good job building Bentley up as a potentially saleable asset.

Before everyone slags the post, I actually agree with you on most of this , except I think he's done a good job building Bentley up as a potentially saleable asset.

....i agree that he has made plenty of good, spectacular saves but i'm afraid that is the easy bit, ask Paul Smith.

I agree with Laird he was the best player on the pitch against Northampton. As for Bentley he has been poor but so has the rest of the team and the defence in front of him has been woeful. I don't think that Joe Hart would have done much better with the defending that's happened recently.

I give up even looking at the team sheets now.

Everytime Marc comes on he looks one of our best players, yet confined to the bench.

I do find it very strange that Laird has not started games lately.we have a lot of midfielders and when we were winning a lot of games you could see why Brown did not want to change things too much but now we are on this very poor run it is a mystery why Laird has not been used more.

Agree on Laird, he needs to be starting games. Disagree on your Bentley hating though. Id have never got rid of Sturrock, maybe we would have a trophy from our wembley visit and maybe promotion to L1, something we will never know. Brown screwed both up spectacularly last season

Laird is one of our best footballers. When he plays, you know we will 9 times outta 10 control that middle.

Start him (Laird) instead of the willing but increasingly lacking Atko, & I don't think Laird can come off the bench and slot in; needs to start not at 70+ mins when we are already struggling and chasing a game.

Starting Laird would allow Lenny to get forward much more as he would sit in that defensive midfield role and not even try to get forward too much, therefore giving the defence far more protection. I'd also rest Atkinson this next match. I like him and he's a very hard working player but he's not really been very effective the last few games.

Starting Laird would allow Lenny to get forward much more as he would sit in that defensive midfield role and not even try to get forward too much, therefore giving the defence far more protection. I'd also rest Atkinson this next match. I like him and he's a very hard working player but he's not really been very effective the last few games.
Can't give you a "green" rep OBL so I will "come out" and say "THIS, YES!"

Did Atkinson play for Brown at a previous club ? If so that answers why he plays in front of Laird every game.

Only thing I can think of is that he wants attacking outlets in the vast most part in midfield. Atkinson is an attacker, Laid more of a defender

Only thing I can think of is that he wants attacking outlets in the vast most part in midfield. Atkinson is an attacker, Laid more of a defender
I would have agreed 10 games ago but now he looks for side and back and doesn't drive forward or take a shot on like he did in his first 20 games.

Back