• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Were you there? I thought he was the right substitution actually because I thought he could be a game changer a la Burton. However he was poor.
No, wasn't there, but Payne generally has been well received when he's come on in other matches which is why i was surprised to hear he'd not impressed.

As YB and Rattus suggest I suspect a few players are both carrying niggle injuries/strains or sore throats etc and we have a close series of games coming up which will need some juggling and luck. I was surprised Mark Laird didn't have a run out so maybe he has a slight problem. I don't believe PB has a full "best" starting 11 he would want to go with either in his planning or that have ever been available to him from our small squad: we always seem to have an injury or suspension.

And for those watching for formations .......... well, no sign of a 4-3-3 for me. No real sign of a 4-1-4-1 either. Perhaps a 4-4-1-1 at times and at 4-4-2 as well. Mind you, with Southend attacking the other end in the second half, anything could have been going on in the murky distance ..........:unsure:

Strakes and Hurst swopping over at times and then Hurst wandering all over the midfield and at times seemingly up front with Woodrow. (By the way what is that on top of Hurst's head at the front? I thought he had a squirrel taped to his head at one point.) Coker very poor by his own standards, Atkinson busy, busy, busy and nearly creating chances ..... but nothing much seemed to be working out. Where is one of those deflected shots into the back of the net when you need it?

Phillips was fine although I have yet to see the goal on telly to know quite how many players "left the ball" as it sailed across the goal into the corner.:facepalm:

From memory, 400 lux is the minimum requirement for football league admission and I'm pretty sure those were nowhere near that modest figure....it was more akin to fluorescent street lighting. Absolutely appalling.

On to matters on the pitch, nobody seems to have mentioned just how appallingly bad Accrington were for large spells of the game. However, in typical Southend style (too kind and certainly not cynical enough for this League) we passed it around nicely and had the lion share of the possession without doing anything of any efficacy in the final third. Far too often we are guilty of making poor decisions just before releasing the trigger in and around the 18 yard box. For my money, were Accrington playing someone like Chesterfield or Scunny yesterday, they probably would've got beaten by five or six clear goals - and that, unfortunately, is the primary reason why I can't see us challenging the top three in what is, let's face it, an extremely poor quality league.

From memory, 400 lux is the minimum requirement for football league admission and I'm pretty sure those were nowhere near that modest figure....it was more akin to fluorescent street lighting. Absolutely appalling.

On to matters on the pitch, nobody seems to have mentioned just how appallingly bad Accrington were for large spells of the game. However, in typical Southend style (too kind and certainly not cynical enough for this League) we passed it around nicely and had the lion share of the possession without doing anything of any efficacy in the final third. Far too often we are guilty of making poor decisions just before releasing the trigger in and around the 18 yard box. For my money, were Accrington playing someone like Chesterfield or Scunny yesterday, they probably would've got beaten by five or six clear goals - and that, unfortunately, is the primary reason why I can't see us challenging the top three in what is, let's face it, an extremely poor quality league.

Cos we're poor up front!

Cos we're poor up front!

It's not about being poor up front....the decision making is rushed and often naive from those delivering balls into and around the box.
Having said that, Corr would have been a better choice up front than Woodrow against their defence.

Floodlights - Poor is the best way to describe them, we seemed to get in each others way at times in the first half, looked more effective with Corr and Eastwood up front, not sure why Atkinson and Hurst have to try and walk through the opposition when the easy ball is on for other players who remained unmarked, Coker was left standing wide on the left screaming for the ball......but knowone wanted to push it out wide, they seemed too busy trying to take it down the middle and then loosing the ball to easily.Second half it was hard to tell what was happening down the far end as it was so bleeding dark, but I could see why their goalkeeper got man of the match......glad to see some ********s from Southend abusing him when he was down our end......turns out he played better than they thought he could....great to have little kiddie fans like this.

This issue doesn't just happen in the lower leagues. Man Utd had the same problem against Norwich the other day when they played Hernandez alone up front. He had little success until Welbeck came on to play the Barry Corr role.

That's what Moyes said to Welbeck apparently - "get on there son and play the Barry Corr role".

That's what Moyes said to Welbeck apparently - "get on there son and play the Barry Corr role".

It's more likely that Moy_yes said "play the McDonough role" .............. I think Moy_yes and Red Card Roy played in the same team many, many years ago ..........:unsure:

It's more likely that Moy_yes said "play the McDonough role" .............. I think Moy_yes and Red Card Roy played in the same team many, many years ago ..........:unsure:
Both played for Cambridge Utd back in the 80s

Back