• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ricey

I’m a Mod⭐⭐
Staff member
Please post all your ratings and reports here please.

Ryan Leonard MOM?

That's the first time Ryan Leonard has scored twice in one match in his professional career. Well done Ryan. Great result, coming from behind to beat Pompey for the second time this season. I'm happy with that.

:smile:

Bentley 7.5 some excellent goal keeping but had to deduct for some poor kicks (harsh I know)

White 7 solid got forward well too

Prosser 7.5 very good. ...got away with blatant hand ball in 1st half

Phillips 7 solid

Coker 7 looks like he needs a break though

Leonad 9 MOM one of the most complete midfield displays I have seen for a while.

Timlin 7.5 good workrate and some good footy too

Hurst 6.5 some good some bad

Atkinson 7 industrious as ever was surprised to see him come off

Straker.....6

Woodrow.....7 excellent hold up play at times today. Worked hard especially when he was solo up top

Corr 7 his introduction and change in shape changed the game.....was only ever one winner from there.

Freddy 6.5 some class touches

Great result today....I was screaming for the change in shape a couple of mins before it happened. ...thanks for agreeing mr brown.

Bentley 7.5 some excellent goal keeping but had to deduct for some poor kicks (harsh I know)

White 7 solid got forward well too

Prosser 7.5 very good. ...got away with blatant hand ball in 1st half

Phillips 7 solid

Coker 7 looks like he needs a break though

Leonad 9 MOM one of the most complete midfield displays I have seen for a while.

Timlin 7.5 good workrate and some good footy too

Hurst 6.5 some good some bad

Atkinson 7 industrious as ever was surprised to see him come off

Straker.....6

Woodrow.....7 excellent hold up play at times today. Worked hard especially when he was solo up top

Corr 7 his introduction and change in shape changed the game.....was only ever one winner from there.

Freddy 6.5 some class touches

Great result today....I was screaming for the change in shape a couple of mins before it happened. ...thanks for agreeing mr brown.

Wonder if Coker is one of the "two or three changes" that PB's thinking about making for Saturday?:unsure:

Would be nice to see two strikers starting the game too (which would presumably mean Straker standing down again unless he comes in for Coker).

What a difference from Accers!!!! I can not understand how the players can be so poor AND then so whole hearted!
PB started with the same team as Accers; maybe he hoped some lessons would have been learned but I think the only lesson was that Barry needed to be on; Strakes came off & he wasn't having a good game but any midfielder could have been subbed and we would have got better!
The first 30 mins was poor and we didn't adapt to playing into the wind and rain; Tims and Atko worked hard and Lennie too but the idea of us having a 3 player attack was fictional and the ball just kept coming back.
We conceded from a corner; something seemed to go wrong and their scorer had a free go on goal.
Lennie nearly scored from another corner for Pomps when he did a solo 70yrd run and worked the keeper.
Then Lennie beat 3 down their right and put a low cross in, just wide by CW.
3rd time lucky (made his own luck) and Lennie collects a BBBC lay back and scores from 15/20 yds.Yellow card for them for foul on MP, late and on his ankle - looked a tad malicious.
2nd half and we play some good stuff; Hursty gets forward and it all looks to be going our way.
CW is replaced by Fred; the lad had worked hard but little goal threat.
They have, as in first half, a few attacks and Dan made 5/6 good saves during 98 minutes.
Game looked to be heading for a draw and then Lennie lets fly, low fizzer with deflection into far corner, 90 + 2 and 3 pts thank you!
Ratings?
Dan B- 8
Ben C- 7, much better than at Accers.
Whitey; 6 - he had hard game against a trickey winger who clipped bar and bested him a few times.
LP -6+, why so many back to GK "passes"?
MP- 7 some fine interceptions.
Strakes 5, not his day and nothing worked for him.
Lennie 9 M of M by a mile.
Tims 7
Atko 7
Hursty 7
CW 7
BBBC 8
Fred 7
Connar C- no time to be marked.

Only 900 Pomps; how many Shrimpers went to Fratton midweek?
NOW for Millwall.....

That was the Ryan Leonard show. Bossed the entire midfield and deserved his 2 goals. If there was a slice of luck about the first, the was no denying the quality in the 2nd. A quality strike.

Also, disappointed in the Pompey turnout. Thought they were the big boys in this league?

Wow ! What a game. Where do I start ?
Awful, blustery conditions on a wet pitch, which held up amazingly well (credit to the ground staff).

It was all Pompey in the first half, and Woodrow struggled on his own up top. Once they scored, PB threw on BBBC and changed to a 4-4-2 and we looked much more dangerous with the ball sticking up front. Second half we took the game to them, and Ryan produced two low, fizzing screamers to give us the 3 points. Wild celebrations followed...

Bentley 8.5...A MOTM performance. Made 3/4 fantastic saves against the wind in the first half, which would have put Pompey out of sight. He's looking a class act.
White 7...A John White performance. Nuff said
Coker 7...Stuck to his task. Kept it simple. Good in the air
Phillips 7..Did really well in wet and slippery conditions. Played the percentages.
Prosser 7...Same as Phillips. Has a massive heart.
Hurst 6.5...Decent game. Twisted and turned the Pompey defence.
Timlin 7...Ran himself into the ground. Great effort
Leonard 9... MOTM. Edged Bentley for MOTM with an all action midfield display. Covered the whole of the pitch, tackled for his life, passed sensibly and then produced two wonderful strikes to win the game.
Atkinson 7...Again, grafted hard. Slotted into left mid, fine.
Straker 6.5...In and out of the first half. It was the right decision to switch him for BBBC and go 4-4-2/
Woodrow 6.5... Battled hard, but balls in the air are not his game. Got better when Bazza came on.
Subs : Corr 7...Made a difference. Gave their defence different problems
Freddy 6.5...Looks sharp. Always looking to shoot. Think he may figure on Saturday
Clifford 6.5...Not on long

A massive well done to our home support today. In matches, and seasons, we've got on the players backs when we go 1-0 down, but not at the moment. I'm sure it makes such a difference to the players if they can hear we're still right behind them. Well done all.

Don't think Bentley should be criticised for his kicking in the first half. The fact that Carson struggled so badly when he was against the wind shows what a nightmare it must have been out there. Great to see that much passion from the team today as well!

Yes, for me Leonard was also man of the match on Sunday ....... at only 21, he is quite an asset if he can stay injury free. He has a degree of invention that we can otherwise miss. :thumbsup: And he scored a late goal against Morecambe which shows he keeps going for the 90+ minutes.

How many goals have we scored from deflections now? Good stuff.

And with 24 games gone, we are into the 2nd half of the season. Wow - that went quickly.

Wow ! What a game. Where do I start ?
Awful, blustery conditions on a wet pitch, which held up amazingly well (credit to the ground staff).

It was all Pompey in the first half, and Woodrow struggled on his own up top. Once they scored, PB threw on BBBC and changed to a 4-4-2 and we looked much more dangerous with the ball sticking up front. Second half we took the game to them, and Ryan produced two low, fizzing screamers to give us the 3 points. Wild celebrations followed...

Bentley 8.5...A MOTM performance. Made 3/4 fantastic saves against the wind in the first half, which would have put Pompey out of sight. He's looking a class act.
White 7...A John White performance. Nuff said
Coker 7...Stuck to his task. Kept it simple. Good in the air
Phillips 7..Did really well in wet and slippery conditions. Played the percentages.
Prosser 7...Same as Phillips. Has a massive heart.
Hurst 6.5...Decent game. Twisted and turned the Pompey defence.
Timlin 7...Ran himself into the ground. Great effort
Leonard 9... MOTM. Edged Bentley for MOTM with an all action midfield display. Covered the whole of the pitch, tackled for his life, passed sensibly and then produced two wonderful strikes to win the game.
Atkinson 7...Again, grafted hard. Slotted into left mid, fine.
Straker 6.5...In and out of the first half. It was the right decision to switch him for BBBC and go 4-4-2/
Woodrow 6.5... Battled hard, but balls in the air are not his game. Got better when Bazza came on.
Subs : Corr 7...Made a difference. Gave their defence different problems
Freddy 6.5...Looks sharp. Always looking to shoot. Think he may figure on Saturday
Clifford 6.5...Not on long

A massive well done to our home support today. In matches, and seasons, we've got on the players backs when we go 1-0 down, but not at the moment. I'm sure it makes such a difference to the players if they can hear we're still right behind them. Well done all.

His first one was in the first half, otherwise would agree with ratings

Oh yeah, well said. That was a real turning point. Go in 1-0 down, and the team talk isn't as relaxed. I thought it was crazy bringing BBBC on just before Half time, but to be honest, it worked.

Yet more sour grapes from another visiting team...just got this excerpt from the Pompey Forum. Talk about pot calling the kettle black, given the fact they take great pride in showcasing a fat man with appalling tattoos that rings a cowbell endlessly for every game...

We were superb today, especially the first half which was hugely one sided and how the hell we didn't score 4-5 I'll never know. One of the best first half displays I've seen from us in many a year.

Started a very odd formation and basically flooded the midfield but all the players looked well up for it.

The only slight issue was we let them come into the game in the last 20 mins. Maybe we were tired or they just got their *** in gear but we now way deserved to loose.

Special mentions for Whatmough who's played holding midfield, also Harris, Painter, Wallace. Racon and Bradley all had excellent games.

Last few months have had us all feeling a bit down but for those not there I can only say that the performance for miles better then the stuff of early season.

Big shout to all the travelling fans, great atmosphere. Southends fans are pathetic. Looked like a boys choir all stood in a little square with some fat plonker trying to coordinate them, all dressed in Ralph Lauren clobber. As soon as they heard us sing near the start they gave up and went quite. Pfft

Long drive home now but surprisingly upbeat!

Oh yeah, well said. That was a real turning point. Go in 1-0 down, and the team talk isn't as relaxed. I thought it was crazy bringing BBBC on just before Half time, but to be honest, it worked.

Should have started 442. Brown did the right thing in bringing Corr on when he did.

Don't know why we don't start 4-4-2 at home, but at least PB isn't afraid to change things if it's not working

That was of course our first ever League double against Portsmouth.

It is the first time we have done a League double by coming from behind in both matches for 20 years, since we beat Derby County 3-1 away and 4-3 at home in the 1993-94 season.

Today was also the fifth match in a row against Pompey at the Hall that has ended up 2-1, four of them in our favour, a run that also stretches back 20 years to the 1993-94 season....

:omg:

No football league show tonight to show case Leonard's two crackers, but ofcourse match of the day is on.

BBC is a joke

That was of course our first ever League double against Portsmouth.

It is the first time we have done a League double by coming from behind in both matches for 20 years, since we beat Derby County 3-1 away and 4-3 at home in the 1993-94 season.

Today was also the fifth match in a row against Pompey at the Hall that has ended up 2-1, four of them in our favour, a run that also stretches back 20 years to the 1993-94 season....

:omg:

I remember that game well. All kicked off on the pitch after the game. Ended up on crimewatch because of the violence and I was seen strolling across the pitch being sprayed with CS gas by some fat bloke

Back